Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came across an interesting situation on 12.3.6.

Forgive my amateur graphics. I'm on FSD northbound (green car) at the below on a 35 MPH road approaching a line of stopped cars at a stoplight. The red car in the business parking lot is signaling to turn left in front of me southbound but is waiting on other southbound traffic to clear. Without intervention, FSD v11 would have pulled up the leading cars bumper blocking his path. FSD v12 actually completely stopped short to allow room for him to pull out in front of me, then creeped forward after he turned.

Nice..

View attachment 1046448si
Yes I have noticed this behavior once in V12

Doesn’t suck for me. I look at V12 as a significant upgrade. But not the best thing since sliced bread nor cold fusion level breakthrough.

V10 - 1 disengagement in 5 miles - 2022
V11 - 1 disengagement in 10 miles - 2023
V12 - 1 disengagement in 20 miles. - 2024

So, when will we get to RT level and how ? Both V10 and V11 quickly hit a plateau and needed major architectural changes to break out of.

If every other of those disengagements would have lead to an accident (if car was driving autonomously), the current rate would be one accident every 40 miles. If driver normally is involved in an accident every 400 000 miles, that distance needs to be 10 000 times higher.

So if disengagement doubles every year it would reach 400 000 in approximately 13 years. Seems plausible. If the actual accident rate now autonomously would be 1 in 100 miles, then we would reach parity already in 12 years!

Last edited:

Forgive my amateur graphics. I'm on FSD northbound (green car) at the below on a 35 MPH road approaching a line of stopped cars at a stoplight. The red car in the business parking lot is signaling to turn left in front of me southbound but is waiting on other southbound traffic to clear. Without intervention, FSD v11 would have pulled up the leading cars bumper blocking his path. FSD v12 actually completely stopped short to allow room for him to pull out in front of me, then creeped forward after he turned.

Nice..

Yeah man. This happens at intersections for me as well when there’s not enough room to clear it.

That's a tough nut to crack. I came upon a small pothole going 65 mph on a highway and had almost no time to decide it was a hole and turn to avoid it. My immediate thought: FSD will never be able to do that. Big, obvious potholes at slow speed, maybe.

If they try to solve it, we're going to have a new acronym: PPA, Phantom Pothole Avoidance.
Agree, but the one advantage FSD does have are the front cameras are higher on the windshield so the cameras have a better view then humans and will see the pothole sooner. Whether that slight advantage will actually mean anything I don't know but I'm doubtful.
Perhaps part of the solution is to communicate to the fleet. Even avoiding the slightly depressed sewer covers in my area would be helpful since I typically avoid them as well.

If every other of those disengagements would have lead to an accident (if car was driving autonomously), the current rate would be one accident every 40 miles. If driver normally is involved in an accident every 400 000 miles, that distance needs to be 10 000 times higher.

So if disengagement doubles every year it would reach 400 000 in approximately 13 years. Seems plausible. If the actual accident rate now autonomously would be 1 in 100 miles, then we would reach parity already in 12 years!
An L4+ accident happens every 10k miles - simple things like curbing wheels. You can check my older posts for links.

I don't think every other disengagement would prevent an accident - where as some interventions may have prevented accidents (say going across the intersection slowly so you push the accelerator). My disengagements or interventions were very rarely to prevent accidents. Only Tesla knows the real numbers (if at all).

If we just go by the crowdsourced numbers, may be one in 10 disengagements would be to prevent to accidents.

1715535246220.png

I had a similar experience the other day when a car wanted to pull out from a CVS parking across 2 lanes to turn left. FSD stopped short of the line of cars in front of me and let the car cross to make the turn. At first I wasn't sure why FSD stopped until I saw the car trying to come out. I was shocked but in a good way.

V12 also consistently avoids pulling into intersections at lights to avoid blocking traffic in case the light turns red.

An L4+ accident happens every 10k miles - simple things like curbing wheels. You can check my older posts for links.

I don't think every other disengagement would prevent an accident - where as some interventions may have prevented accidents (say going across the intersection slowly so you push the accelerator). My disengagements or interventions were very rarely to prevent accidents. Only Tesla knows the real numbers (if at all).

If we just go by the crowdsourced numbers, may be one in 10 disengagements would be to prevent to accidents.

View attachment 1046457

Do you mean than very minor accidents for humans happen every 10 k miles?

Having said that though, the reality is that lots of drivers are impatient, and road rage is a real thing. So minimizing how much one "annoys" other drivers, as silly as it sounds, does indeed contribute to safety in the form of reduced road-rage incidents
My job as a driver is to ensure my safety, not worry about impatient drivers running over to get a quickie with their girlfriend

I'm not sure if I treat FSDS differently from others, but I have two distinct driving styles.
First is experiment/lab where I will give FSD time to figure things out and make mistakes. Usually there is nobody else in the car to witness this.
There are way fewer disengagements but many more mistakes and odd behavior.
The Second is mostly when I have passengers/family etc in the car. Then I don't even engage FSD if I think its going to mess up, or that its messed up in this bit of road. Significantly more disengagements for this type of drive because the slightest hint of a mistake causes me to disengage (single pull for the win).
Most of the things I report here are from the first type of drive. Although sometimes FSD does something bad in the places it has previously done well.
But it's the second type where the family is never sure if it's me or FSD in control. This is where I think FSD does really well because it is much closer to driving like a human.
Can't wait to see what gets added into 12.4/5

Do you mean than very minor accidents for humans happen every 10 k miles?
Yes.

1715536862782.png

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
A pilot friend shared one with me that I now cannot get out of my head any time I hear someone misuse the word: when the flight attendant announces "we'll be landing momentarily", I picture the pilot doing a touch-and-go...
Practically every flight I'm on the FA says "I'd like to welcome you to ....", and I wait. They would LIKE TO, but never actually do. 🤔

Think we need a new software release. V12.4?

Nice..

I've seen this behavior several times. It's not perfect but compared to V11 basically infinitely better. I don't think V11 had this programmed. It appears to be emergent behavior from training. Another variant of this is not entering an intersection unless there is going to room to clear it. A few times I thought it was going to be wrong, entering the too early, but it either got lucky or it picked up on cues that I missed.

Yes.

View attachment 1046461

Thanks! I was first puzzled by those levels until I understood that they are not autonomous levels but accidents severity 🙂

But I could find the L4 number in that source 🤔

• Informative
Yes, I see that in your post, but I can’t see the source?
ps. I don’t mean that it is not true, but i’m interested to see the original source.
You are asking me to do your home work ;)

Miles between incidents for regular cars (according to Cruise’s modified version of Virginia Tech study, which removes crashes on highways and rural roads):​
Miles between Level 1 incidents: 282,485​
Miles between Level 1 and 2 incidents: 99,404​
Miles between Level 1, 2 and 3 incidents: 20,661​
Miles between Level 1, 2, 3 and 4 incidents: 9,21(8)​

• Informative