Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visualizations and speed changes. It's really easy to see if you have Automax on.
Could you be a bit more specific about how to tell when it is on v11 vs v12 stack. I know it was mentioned before, but scrolling through hundreds of posts...

I am asking because I am still seeing V12.3.1 still have difficulties with a particular freeway merge where the on-lane quickly turns into an off-lane. Sometimes it makes the merge, sometimes it takes the exit, and some times it drives into the thick white line triangle gore area and then swerves out, one way or the other. Stuff happens fast, but I'd like to know if it V12 messing up or not. V11 had the same problem. There is plenty of room for human drivers to merge, so this is an FSD problem. Hopefully it is a V11 issue, soon to be moot.

Could you be a bit more specific about how to tell when it is on v11 vs v12 stack. I know it was mentioned before, but scrolling through hundreds of posts...

I am asking because I am still seeing V12.3.1 still have difficulties with a particular freeway merge where the on-lane quickly turns into an off-lane. Sometimes it makes the merge, sometimes it takes the exit, and some times it drives into the thick white line triangle gore area and then swerves out, one way or the other. Stuff happens fast, but I'd like to know if it V12 messing up or not. V11 had the same problem. There is plenty of room for human drivers to merge, so this is an FSD problem. Hopefully it is a V11 issue, soon to be moot.
Auto Max indicator appears/disappears when in ASSO “Ass*o**” mode and tentacle/snake length (subtle).

If you set to Auto Max Speed, the transition is where the Auto Max Speed indication turns to a Max Speed Number or vice versa.

I never drive without MLC enabled - it's muscle memory every time I get into the car. That said, the car will change lanes more on v12 than it used to on v11. I've even experienced what others here have reported where the car will change lanes away from an upcoming turn for no apparent reason. However, my experiences have been the lane change well in advance (1/2 a mile or so), so the car changes lanes and then shortly after changes right back for the upcoming turn. I have not yet experienced the lane change a few hundred feet before the turn and then missing the turn.
I turn on Minimal Lane Changes every time as well. Here is why: My job is to supervise FSD. This means I need to anticipate what it will do and intervene if it does something unexpected. FSD make with MCL off makes random lane changes with too little warning for me the scan the full situation. That scan takes time, in part because judging the speed of cars approaching from behind requires watching for longer than a quick glance, and I don't stare at the rearview mirrors while freeway driving, of course.

I have done a bit time non-MLC observation, and plan to do more, but since it is still V11 it is not time yet.

Reactions: ArchHamster
I turn on Minimal Lane Changes every time as well. Here is why: My job is to supervise FSD. This means I need to anticipate what it will do and intervene if it does something unexpected. FSD make with MCL off makes random lane changes with too little warning for me the scan the full situation. That scan takes time, in part because judging the speed of cars approaching from behind requires watching for longer than a quick glance, and I don't stare at the rearview mirrors while freeway driving, of course.

I have done a bit time non-MLC observation, and plan to do more, but since it is still V11 it is not time yet.
I used to use MLC quite a bit on V11. The question though, is if MLC makes any difference when V12 is used. Anyone?

Links to documents/videos where he has said so. Please.

Elon saying that FSD will achieve either level 4 or 5 this year (last year).

After the recall in 2023, Tesla called FSD Beta a SAE Level 2 driver support feature.
FSD Beta is an SAE Level 2 driver support feature that can provide steering and braking/acceleration support to the driver under certain operating limitations. With FSD Beta, as with all SAE Level 2 driver support features, the driver is responsible for operation of the vehicle whenever the feature is engaged and must constantly supervise the feature and intervene (e.g., steer, brake or accelerate) as needed to maintain safe operation of the vehicle.

Tesla stating FSD is level 2 to California in 2021:

"City Streets continues to firmly root the vehicle in SAE Level 2 capability and does not make it autonomous under the DMV’s definition," wrote Eric Williams, Tesla associate general counsel, in a statement attached to an email with the California DMV. "City Streets’ capabilities with respect to the object and event detection and response (OEDR) sub-task are limited, as there are circumstances and events to which the system is not capable of recognizing or responding."

Also, during AI day, the SAE levels were mentioned by multiple people, including Elon.

Will that suffice?

V11 was categorized by Tesla corporate, not just Elon, as Level 2 just last year because it is. It meets the definition of an SAE L2 system and doesn't meet L3-5, yet.

I feel like you understand this, but are just being difficult.

It was more of a ???ye????s????…..???….
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 2.37.28 PM.png

If you set to Auto Max Speed, the transition is where the Auto Max Speed indication turns to a Max Speed Number or vice versa.
Ah! I'm yet to try Auto Speeding. (As far as I know, FSD does not recognize or slow down for CHP or other LEO lurkers.) I'll try it out anyway next time I test that trouble spot.

Are there any other V11 v. V12 cues's you've observed? Something about visualizations I think someone mentioned perhaps?

• Funny
Reactions: primedive and KLam
If the email was real that dictated vehicles post service to receive 12.3.1 and currently 12.3.2.1 is out then it's entirely possible opening a ticket or getting on service WiFi to check for an update could trigger it to be pushed to your car.
Since my experiment to see if tesla would push the recalls over LTE has not borne fruit, I suppose I can change to a new experiment.

Car will go into our service call next week with the version noted in my signature. We'll see what it comes out with, the 2023.44.30.14 it is currently being offered or , 2023.44.30.30, the Canadian version with V12.3.1. Or will I end up with a 2024 version?

Since my experiment to see if tesla would push the recalls over LTE has not borne fruit, I suppose I can change to a new experiment.

Car will go into our service call next week with the version noted in my signature. We'll see what it comes out with, the 2023.44.30.14 it is currently being offered or , 2023.44.30.30, the Canadian version with V12.3.1. Or will I end up with a 2024 version?
You should be able to check what version you will get by clicking on the Yellow download arrow at the top of the screen. It well say to connect to WiFi to download and the version is listed in the Software Menu.

Reactions: Pdubs
I think people don’t realize how little control the states have on stuff the government wants to put their dirty little hands on, while they have a lot of control on everything else.

Let’s think of what happened when the government wanted to change the legal BAC for driving.
Yep, I remember. You instantly went from 1 dui per year to 4.

Reactions: Pdubs

There was a short period of time where they pushed entire FSDj updates over the air.