Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both. How about an improved energy analyzer?

Why? The average person doesn’t energy analyze their gas/diesel. Long gone are days of people emptying their fuel tanks then filling them to the top to do maths to check they are getting good fuel mileage.

As people get more comfortable with fueling at home, Supercharger and other long distance travel fueling networks develop, and general development of sustainable energy, they’ll think less and less about analyzing their energy use. Remember the average person, not someone hanging around on TMC for the last few years dissecting everything Tesla, TSLA or BEV.

I find that explanation very strange.

I like the reason Fred gives in the end of the article:
That Morton certainly came on at a weird time for Tesla since Musk announced his intention to make the company private just days after he came on board.

Morton was at Seagate when the company went private and some speculated that Musk might have wanted to bring him on board to help with the transition.
Private didn't happen, Tesla is microscope, move on to something else.

Musk appears to be rather self destructive recently. As he said, he would be happy to turn over CEO position as the role has taken a serious toll on him.

It seems very timely if he and the board we're to hire or at least announce plans to add a COO asap. This would be in everyone's best interest and would be consistent with Tesla's mission.

If in my shoes,

If I were to take over as Tesla CEO, I’d want 3 things:
  • Ask Saudi & Norway funds for go private investment; I would allow committing to factories in their respective countries if they invested additional for that capital expense, to cover those regions.
  • Have anybody on the Board against that leave the board (e.g., against Saudi Arabia).
  • Elon Musk keep his shares, voting, on board of directors, engineering capacity.
Then take it from there.

That’s my gut reaction.

If in my shoes,

• Ask Saudi & Norway funds for go private investment; I would allow committing to factories in their respective countries if they invested additional for that capital expense, to cover those regions.
  • Have anybody on the Board against that leave the board (e.g., against Saudi Arabia).
  • Elon Musk keep his shares, voting, on board of directors, engineering capacity.
Then take it from there.

That’s my gut reaction.
If you took over as CEO of Tesla, I would immediately sell all shares and never look back. If I were in your shoes, with your gut reaction, I would immediately sell all shares and never look back. I hope you do.

I find that explanation very strange.
I don't find Morton's reason strange at all. "Pace" is code for "overwork". Most people want lives.

It's becoming evident that Tesla has a bad workplace culture, sometimes verging on toxic. The demands for 80-hour work weeks are well known. The rather arbitrary and unreasonable demands from Musk are also well known. The thing is, sane people don't actually want to devote their lives to the company while getting yelled at -- and if they can afford to not do that, they won't.

The resignation of the HR director, without comment, is substantially more worrisome because we already *know* Tesla has HR problems, and frankly Morton's departure is... in some sense an HR problem. Did Toledano decide that she didn't have Musk's backing to actually solve the HR problems?

"Public attention" is code for "OMG, there's a crazy smear campaign against the company every day, even if Musk does something totally innocuous, and he's acting kind of erratic right now -- I don't want to be anywhere near that".

Morton emphasizes that the financials are fine. His message means what it says, and it *does* point to a problem for Tesla, and one we already know about. Musk needs to understand that people, including him but especially other people, need lives outside work.

If in my shoes,

Then take it from there.

That’s my gut reaction.
The interview went well past my bedtime, and I fell asleep while listening. I woke up and saw Elon take a first hit from the weed thingie. The parts of the interview I saw went well, with my usual disagreement about carbon being a made up set of evidence, but I think the general issue of toxins being put in the air is bad, and in a way similar to what he calls carbon; and I’ve also registered my disagreement with trusting government about AI (on that score I was going to start a quasi research religion to handle robot morals, but never had the extra means for that, so I don’t have a lot of rebuttal there). He was in good form linguistically, but I’m against his lack of sleep and drug use personally; I don’t drink or smoke, so I look at those who do as taking another path.

But others are taking this as off the rails behavior. I should finish watching. One thought I had is that this could be a planned act to allow investors to think him not being CEO is ok.

Last night in the interview, Elon Musk spent two and half hours talking about AI, brain/machine interface, electric airplane, one hundred layers of underground tunnels, and many other interesting topics. All of these are possible to impact humanity significantly, especially AI; self-improving AI has the potential to wipe out humanity. This is a very real threat if we don't act upon it.

The only thing the media likes to talk about is that "Elon drank whiskey and smoked weed." That was literally the title of every news article I saw. There is something seriously wrong with this world. Who are the people controlling the media?

The only thing the media likes to talk about is that "Elon drank whiskey and smoked weed." That was literally the title of every news article I saw. There is something seriously wrong with this world. Who are the people controlling the media?

If I could take a brief moment to inappropriately overgeneralize and insult all journalists, there was a lot of science in that podcast. Journalists are the type that flunk physics but get an A in extracurricular activities, so they’re gonna focus on what they understand.

See? Told ya it was inappropriate and insulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.