Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Response here because off topic elsewhere.

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

The Japanese have also complained their rote learning approach to education does not foster creativity. At the risk of racism, Asians have an advantage in a more collaborative culture.

Employer's frequently complain university graduates here are not accustomed to working well with others hence for decades I used group projects in all classes with a heavy weighting of about 30% toward the overall grade. Experience showed the better students hated it and perhaps the poorer ones took advantage so I built in an evaluation by peers as part of the overall grade for individuals. My colleagues despised that, ever protective of their exclusive power over the grade.

I think most really successful creative people build on others' work. Of course in the case of the Nobel for uranium and the double helix, the research publication and hence the award ignored contributions by women in both cases. I'm sure there are other contrarian examples.
From American friend, who married, moved to Denmark, became a computer programer, moved back to the States, working for the same company, he was amazed at the difference in "work culture".

Denmark they all helped each other, covered for each other if one needed to leave work for emergencies.
US no one would help anyone. Everyone competing to take credit. People very wage aware.

side note: People wanting to know his pay (HQ was Denmark) is was a status thing. He told them he always asked/negotiated to get $1 less than anyone else, so he'd be the last to get laid off [job security]. :cool:

I used to teach a book by Philip Slater titled: The Pursuit of Loneliness: American Culture at the Breaking Point. Good read. I think there is where I read something like "Americans love their cars more than themselves." Now I suppose it's the microwave. Probably explains the depreciation of my "precious bodily fluids," according to Dr. Strangelove.

I had not realized that California does not assess sales tax on cars drop-shipped to Texas.

IIRC, I think there is some kind of reciprocal sales tax transferal mechanism agreed to by most states when you buy in one state and register in another, though in certain scenarios one state might end up with leftover sales tax it gets to keep, or you have to pay the difference in other cases. So technically I think California is still getting that sales tax initially (i.e. that is where it is paid), but then it's transferred to Texas (or whichever state your registering in).

• Disagree
Reactions: Dwdnjck
IIRC, I think there is some kind of reciprocal sales tax transferal mechanism agreed to by most states when you buy in one state and register in another, though in certain scenarios one state might end up with leftover sales tax it gets to keep, or you have to pay the difference in other cases. So technically I think California is still getting that sales tax initially (i.e. that is where it is paid), but then it's transferred to Texas (or whichever state your registering in).

When cars are bought from California, but delivered somewhere else, California does not collect Use Tax. If you were shopping for a used car and you happened to find the car that you want in California, if you fly there and take delivery in California, you pay Use Tax so you can drive your new (used) car home.

Or you can have that dealership ship the car to you, and that way you avoid the California Use Tax.

(I learned all of this back in '12/'13 when I was looking for a used Roadster, and it seemed like 1/2 of the used Roadster for sale in the country were in California, and I live in a state with no sales tax - I was motivated to figure out how to make it a non-issue).

So for Texas deliveries, I wouldn't expect the reciprocity agreements to matter as the CA use tax wouldn't be collected in the first place.

Of course, if you live in Texas and want to take delivery in Fremont -- THEN you'll pay Use Tax for that privilege (and you get to find out how the reciprocity between CA and TX helps you at tax time).

California is also peculiar, as best I can tell (and again based on what I learned in 12/13), in that there isn't any evidence you can bring to your car pickup in the state to prove you'll be registering in some other state and thereby avoid paying the CA Use Tax. Living here in Oregon, it's easy for me to cross the border into Washington (a sales tax state) and buy stuff without paying sales tax. Including buying a car. One look at my driver's license and there goes the sales tax.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
When cars are bought from California, but delivered somewhere else, California does not collect Use Tax. If you were shopping for a used car and you happened to find the car that you want in California, if you fly there and take delivery in California, you pay Use Tax so you can drive your new (used) car home.

Or you can have that dealership ship the car to you, and that way you avoid the California Use Tax.

(I learned all of this back in '12/'13 when I was looking for a used Roadster, and it seemed like 1/2 of the used Roadster for sale in the country were in California, and I live in a state with no sales tax - I was motivated to figure out how to make it a non-issue).

Of course, if you live in Texas and want to take delivery in Fremont -- THEN you'll pay Use Tax for that privilege (and you get to find out how the reciprocity between CA and TX helps you at tax time).

California is also peculiar, as best I can tell (and again based on what I learned in 12/13), in that there isn't any evidence you can bring to your car pickup in the state to prove you'll be registering in some other state and thereby avoid paying the CA Use Tax. Living here in Oregon, it's easy for me to cross the border into Washington (a sales tax state) and buy stuff without paying sales tax. Including buying a car. One look at my driver's license and there goes the sales tax.
Obviously tax laws vary - by city/county/state - check carefully. and these laws change over time.
good luck to all

Reactions: adiggs
Response here because off topic elsewhere.

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

The Japanese have also complained their rote learning approach to education does not foster creativity. At the risk of racism, Asians have an advantage in a more collaborative culture.

Employer's frequently complain university graduates here are not accustomed to working well with others hence for decades I used group projects in all classes with a heavy weighting of about 30% toward the overall grade. Experience showed the better students hated it and perhaps the poorer ones took advantage
That was my experience in student group projects. Basically one, maybe two students would carry the weight and the others would be freeloaders. I've been on both sides; I started out being the one carrying the weight and after enough of them, realized I was wasting my time and energy and switched to being a freeloader. Except on projects I actually cared about (i.e. which meant more to me than the class itself did), where at least once I filed a "minority report".

so I built in an evaluation by peers as part of the overall grade for individuals.
...which doesn't help much if you don't structure it very carefully, since the freeloaders usually claim that they did the work and downrate the person who actually did the work. Who usually attempts to be generous to the freeloaders.

For projects which actively require more than one person, it's better to structure projects with a clear leader and followers, and then they can be rated on leadership / followership skills. The problem of encouraging actual *collaboration*, as opposed to *assistance*, is substantially harder. I'd say most student group projects break either due to trying to do true cooperation rather than leader/followers, or over who's going to be leader. You only get true cooperation if people actually want to cooperate, and you can't force it.

My colleagues despised that, ever protective of their exclusive power over the grade.

I think most really successful creative people build on others' work.
Of course, and the best have many collaborators. You can't force it though. You have to simply *allow* it. Allow any student to submit *any* project as a joint project with someone else, and *require* giving credit to anyone whose work helped. But don't require collaboration, since that doesn't work. Many of the best professional collaborations have been between people who weren't in the same organization or who were in wildly different branches of the same organization, but who were "sympatico", interested in the same topic.

A few of my favorite papers I wrote as a student had collaborators who weren't even in the same class. I cited my collaborator, after telling the teacher what was happening and asking permission. But the fact is that this is heavily discouraged for students by the academic system, which pressures students to do all their work "themselves" most students wouldn't get permission or wouldn't think to ask for it.

This is probably training students in bad habits which will serve them poorly in the future -- either encouraging them to *not* collaborate, or worse, encouraging them to *deny credit* to their collaborators. (I had a few professors who attempted to push back on this by talking to people about how it was OK to get help and crucial to cite your help.)

(If you really need to see whether a student can do work solo, give them a proctored test, either written or oral. Other work should permit collaboration. I realize this is radical.)

Of course in the case of the Nobel for uranium and the double helix, the research publication and hence the award ignored contributions by women in both cases. I'm sure there are other contrarian examples.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sean Wagner
Dyson business model is to design/ test in the UK and manufacture abroad. The fact that the factory will be built in Singapore (which is more expensive and land is at a premium) shows they realise they need high level engineer talent.
More importantly we have a timeline and concrete steps taken. I suspect Dyson will surprise many people with the end result.

Reactions: 1101011
That was my experience in student group projects. Basically one, maybe two students would carry the weight and the others would be freeloaders. I've been on both sides; I started out being the one carrying the weight and after enough of them, realized I was wasting my time and energy and switched to being a freeloader. Except on projects I actually cared about (i.e. which meant more to me than the class itself did), where at least once I filed a "minority report".

...which doesn't help much if you don't structure it very carefully, since the freeloaders usually claim that they did the work and downrate the person who actually did the work. Who usually attempts to be generous to the freeloaders.

For projects which actively require more than one person, it's better to structure projects with a clear leader and followers, and then they can be rated on leadership / followership skills. The problem of encouraging actual *collaboration*, as opposed to *assistance*, is substantially harder. I'd say most student group projects break either due to trying to do true cooperation rather than leader/followers, or over who's going to be leader. You only get true cooperation if people actually want to cooperate, and you can't force it.

Of course, and the best have many collaborators. You can't force it though. You have to simply *allow* it. Allow any student to submit *any* project as a joint project with someone else, and *require* giving credit to anyone whose work helped. But don't require collaboration, since that doesn't work. Many of the best professional collaborations have been between people who weren't in the same organization or who were in wildly different branches of the same organization, but who were "sympatico", interested in the same topic.

A few of my favorite papers I wrote as a student had collaborators who weren't even in the same class. I cited my collaborator, after telling the teacher what was happening and asking permission. But the fact is that this is heavily discouraged for students by the academic system, which pressures students to do all their work "themselves" most students wouldn't get permission or wouldn't think to ask for it.

This is probably training students in bad habits which will serve them poorly in the future -- either encouraging them to *not* collaborate, or worse, encouraging them to *deny credit* to their collaborators. (I had a few professors who attempted to push back on this by talking to people about how it was OK to get help and crucial to cite your help.)

(If you really need to see whether a student can do work solo, give them a proctored test, either written or oral. Other work should permit collaboration. I realize this is radical.)

My classes always included two midterms and a final, proctored. I think the group projects were more successful than your experience, perhaps because of my naïveté or that ours was not a research university where the pressure to publish or have good grades was less. (In my day at MIT we all knew what each other's "cum" was!)

Re collaboration in research. We all know inbreeding is unhelpful and can lead to disasters. So also is ignorance of what is going on in other fields. I was impressed with C.P. Snow's, "The Two Cultures," when it first came out and later the word "consilience" coined by the famous ant guy at Harvard. (I'll think of the name or look it up later. Leave it here for your amusement.)

Edit: E. O. Wilson—googled it.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Cars aren't vacuum cleaners.

I suspect Dyson EV will be almost as successful as the Dyson Washing Machine.

I suspect premium pricing and significant tariffs into China.

Singapore, Australia, and New Zealand market are not enough.

Japan and South Korea will be a tough nut to crack without Made in the UK label.

Then shipping plus 10% tariff into the EU.

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Status
Not open for further replies.