Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeking Alpha article on "Why he won't sell Tesla short". Good reading. Nice to see someone over there on the slippery slope to sanity...

Seeking Alpha: Why I Won't Sell Tesla Short Going Forward.
Why I Won't Sell Tesla Short Going Forward - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Santos is a smart guy, but he missed superchargers in the "plus" column. It's interesting to me how some of the smartest bearish writers ignore both superchargers and the proven demand for Tesla cars.

Last edited:
We had supper with Environmental Consultant friends last night who had just had a high level meeting with Ford executives (at an Environmental level) Ford has a big factory here in South Africa.

Some quick take-aways:-
Ford is hopping on the "batteries are so polluting to make that BEVs may not be the right way to go" bandwagon
Ford are parroting the "Fuel Cells are better" story to show interest and concern (our friends say there is a lot of Greenwashing going on)
Ford will trumpet a lot of EV news but they will actually do the minimum necessary to stave of criticism

Lots like Tesla and China/Korea? pretty well have an open goal staring at them if they can execute well...…

I can't help but feel that some legacy car makers will go to the wall.

Regarding the DOJ investigation on that is supposedly "deepening" according to WSJ reportin on Friday, I read a bit through the info available on the website someone posted in the Market Action thread. Just trying to piece together the big picture on how this case is proceeding. Disclaimer - no legal background, especially not in US law, so correct me if I am misreading anything.

• There used to be two plaintiffs: Wochos and Srinivasan. The latter terminated his participation on 03/23/2018 according to the "Parties" tab.
  • May 25: Number 30 under the "Docket" tab is a motion to dismiss by Tesla
  • Aug 27: Number 42 :)) says "ORDER by Judge Charles R. Breyer granting 30 Motion to Dismiss with Leave to Amend"
  • On Sep 28 an amended complaint is filed.
So my take from this would be that the court wants to dismiss (at least the original case) and the plaintiff has to come up with new accusations to keep the case going. Would be happy to have someone with more legal background to chime in.

Regarding the DOJ investigation on that is supposedly "deepening" according to WSJ reportin on Friday, I read a bit through the info available on the website someone posted in the Market Action thread. Just trying to piece together the big picture on how this case is proceeding. Disclaimer - no legal background, especially not in US law, so correct me if I am misreading anything.

• There used to be two plaintiffs: Wochos and Srinivasan. The latter terminated his participation on 03/23/2018 according to the "Parties" tab.
  • May 25: Number 30 under the "Docket" tab is a motion to dismiss by Tesla
  • Aug 27: Number 42 :)) says "ORDER by Judge Charles R. Breyer granting 30 Motion to Dismiss with Leave to Amend"
  • On Sep 28 an amended complaint is filed.
So my take from this would be that the court wants to dismiss (at least the original case) and the plaintiff has to come up with new accusations to keep the case going. Would be happy to have someone with more legal background to chime in.
The case you refer to is a civil action, and has nothing to do with the supposed DOJ criminal investigation.

Supposedly, the DOJ is investigating Elon/Tesla making deliberately misleading statements about production. There are essentially no publicly known facts about this supposed investigation except Tesla's statements that they were asked A YEAR AGO by the DOJ for some documents, which they provided. I keep saying "supposed" because my best guess is that the DOJ dropped any action ages ago. But, like everyone else, I don't actually know anything.

We had supper with Environmental Consultant friends last night who had just had a high level meeting with Ford executives (at an Environmental level) Ford has a big factory here in South Africa.

Some quick take-aways:-
Ford is hopping on the "batteries are so polluting to make that BEVs may not be the right way to go" bandwagon
Ford are parroting the "Fuel Cells are better" story to show interest and concern (our friends say there is a lot of Greenwashing going on)
Ford will trumpet a lot of EV news but they will actually do the minimum necessary to stave of criticism
Oh my God. Well, goodbye Ford. That's full denialism. They're toast.

I can't help but feel that some legacy car makers will go to the wall.
Sounds like Ford has decided to go splat. Too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.