Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In & out in 5 min - Sign, take your money, keys, bye, next!!! why this is a bad idea.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't know that other activities won't be happening, to help educate new customers and get them excited about joining this community.

Saturday morning classes (think Apple classes) open to everyone on 'preparing for your first electric car', 'taking your first roadtrip', 'making sense of all these chargers', etc could go a long way towards reducing delivery time (actual inspection, of course, is not part of this).

There is no reason that soon-to-be new owners can't come in during the waiting period and, at their leisure, learn about the car they're soon to park in their garage. They can go home, think of new questions, and get those questions answered before delivery day.

I see the sales staff, perhaps various regional clubs, teaching these classes. Nothing more valuable than talking to owners first-hand.

I'm not saying that ^^this^^ is the answer, so don't waste your time poking holes in it (but feel free, of course, if that's what you like to do). What I am saying is that to react to information learned now of '5 minute time' may not be the whole story. Before reacting, perhaps think about how delivery time COULD be dramatically shortened and simultaneously provide a quality experience.

That would be a great exercise.

It would be an interesting trial if Tesla Motors came up with a system to get some existing owners involved in the orientation. Perhaps as an offshoot of the referral system.

A new buyer spends an afternoon with their 'mentor' Tesla owner, explaining charging and vehicle operations prior to delivery, so many of the basics of operation and charging are already out of the way.

Reactions: bonnie
For those that don't live far from a SC, I don't see why you need to spend the hours the 'full checklist' (here on the forum and elsewhere) requires. Unless it's an item that they could reasonably think you broke (flat tire? gouge in paint?), you can make a list and come back after you've gone over the car in the comfort of your driveway. After what will be literally several years of reading on TMC and watching on YouTube, I doubt I (and many others) need people to 'explain' anything. And the 'paperwork' is already electronic for the S and X, no?

I have no problem if someone does want to have everything gone over, but I'm sure they won't remember much of it the next day. When I picked up one of my BMW 3's a couple of times ago, the salesperson started to explain every nuance of how to use a GPS... At that point, I said, no need, I can read the book (manual) if I have any questions.

And we all have to remember, adult learners learn in different ways: Some like to learn via manuals/videos (like many of us here), and others are 'older school' and need to have it 'taught to them'. Others want both. All fine. As long as we have the options for all that! (Pun not intended...)

Reactions: bonnie
I would like to be able to digitally sign all of the paper work ahead of time, have all financing already done, and go straight to the car when I get there. One signature for acceptance and as much or little time as I want to go over features. That's what I envision from the 5 minutes delivery comment. I don't consider sitting in a dealership office signing, waiting, signing, waiting, etc. a highlight of any of my car purchases.

Reactions: brianman and bonnie
Relic of the past. If QA is where EM says it will be, and the car has been prepped regionally/locally and essentially flawless.....give me home delivery. I don't need the cheesy flowers, champagne. No balloons, bows, or parties. I don't need to meet "Fred and Bill" in the parts department, or the "Service Team". I just don't. Frankly, I expect never to see them, I don't care who they are, and it's a waste of my time and attention.
Whether you like it or want it is completely up to you. Not everyone else feels that way, certainly not first time Tesla owners who will probably want a bit more time spent having the software explained or talking about thing with the DS. If you're good with it being dropped off at your house with just a signature that fine for you, not for everyone else though and I'm sure Tesla will accommodate just about everyone.

As with everything, it is likely a trade-off. If you want more than a 5 minute send-off, what are you willing to do to get it? Would you accept that you will need to wait another 2 months to get your car? Are you willing to pay extra? Have one less quality check?

Thank you kindly.

The problem is everyone's different. I certainly would prefer a self-driving self-delivery. No need for know-nothing salesperson types making stuff up. Regardless, what should exist is a really well-designed owner's manual. That way you get all the info you need and it's all accurate.

Funny that all these tools now exist to create a really logical yet concise "smart" instruction manual in electronic form but it's never ever done well by any company - at least that I've ever seen. Forget the videos, IMO.

Reactions: Topher
The problem is everyone's different. I certainly would prefer a self-driving self-delivery. No need for know-nothing salesperson types making stuff up. Regardless, what should exist is a really well-designed owner's manual. That way you get all the info you need and it's all accurate.

Funny that all these tools now exist to create a really logical yet concise "smart" instruction manual in electronic form but it's never ever done well by any company - at least that I've ever seen. Forget the videos, IMO.

Pretty sure those days are long gone. A modern owner's manual is mostly warnings, like do not eat the seatbelts, don't drive over a cliff, do not set yourself on fire while driving, etc.

My OEM cellphone app has both the Quick Start guide and the owner's manual in it, IIRC.

• Funny
Reactions: BerTX and 182RG
We don't know that other activities won't be happening, to help educate new customers and get them excited about joining this community.

Saturday morning classes...

You may be suggesting group deliveries that create a cohort. At 5 minutes a car:

12 people get an hour,
One gets to hear the questions of others,
The cohort can share what "normal" is for vehicle performance.

It should be a great comfort to get information from someone other than a car salesperson. Maybe add one tutor for each group (patterned off of Jim Gibbons' tutored video instruction):
http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED134240.pdf or shorter:
VIDEO LECTURERS + LIVE TUTORS = STUDENTS LEARNING MORE

To make the experience both enjoyable and effective, groups would be selected based on previous car: Buick people, Honda people, BMW 3 series people, Lexus people.

Thank you for leading it this way.

Reactions: ikjadoon and bonnie
As a first step, they should start accepting ACH transfers for payment...

They do. That's how I paid for my MS that I picked up on 3/11. Easy peasy.

My delivery experience was a few minutes of paperwork (I wasn't timing it), followed by about an hour of going over car features, followed by about 10 minutes of getting the temporary plates put on, followed by me driving away. No one was rushing anyone. I was a very pleasant experience.

Reactions: beths11
They do. That's how I paid for my MS that I picked up on 3/11. Easy peasy.

My delivery experience was a few minutes of paperwork (I wasn't timing it), followed by about an hour of going over car features, followed by about 10 minutes of getting the temporary plates put on, followed by me driving away. No one was rushing anyone. I was a very pleasant experience.

I had to go to the bank (Dec 2015) and complained loudly...maybe it had an effect :)

Pretty sure those days are long gone. A modern owner's manual is mostly warnings, like do not eat the seatbelts, don't drive over a cliff, do not set yourself on fire while driving, etc.

Huh? What are you talking about? Are you saying cars don't come with owner's manuals anymore? They do. I just looked at a 2017 Honda one and it's still the standard plain 600-pg. pdf type and I'll assume so is everyone else. Innovation is needed here.

Reactions: 182RG
I like Bonnie's suggestion. It would work in areas with concentrations of Tesla owners, but would be problematic in Glendive, Montana, for example.

I also agree with the fact that we all do not learn or absorb new information the same way. The Model 3 that we have on order is for my wife. She has driven our S a total of three times in three years, and each time I have to go over even the most basic functions of the car. I still forget things that are probably second nature to all of you: Those spinning wheels on the steering wheel -- no clue. Voice commands -- hahahahaha. Reboot the main touchscreen -- I might remember every other time; otherwise it is a call to the help desk.

Movies just do not cut it for us. We cannot watch the movie and then perform the task the movie is telling us to do. It would be far better for Tesla to have an interactive cell phone device that can troubleshoot items for us when we need them. Sort of a question and answer program--and I do not mean the dread FAQ's.

It would be easy to look at this putative guide to see what we need to do. We could do it at our leisure, or when we needed to. That sort of thing works best for us, not movies that we watch today, and promptly forget.

...If QA is where EM says it will be...essentially flawless

That's a mighty big IF and, unfortunately, something Tesla's do not have a reputation for to date. Like you I hope that's the case, but until it is, and has been for a few 10's of thousands of production vehicles, it's about as real as FSD. Until then, I will require a delivery inspection experience where all parties understand I will not leave with a vehicle until it's at least "Toyota level" ready. Too many other EV options are moving into the release chain to get emotional about "Tesla badging". Now, if they get AP2 figured out in time to offer good Level-3 that's a game changer, but, from what I've seen of the M3 proto's so far, Tesla is just another brand. And in my case, it's the brand where any service center visits equal a 400 mile round trip, and where parts are expensive and slow to ship. As long as this is the case, the darn thing better have a reliability quotient that puts Toyota to shame. Otherwise for $60K I'll end up driving someone elses badging, with local service options.

But, just like the hi-wing vs low-wing question, different strokes.... (I'm a low-winger myself. ;))

Reactions: 182RG