Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Million mile Battery... Oh HELL NO!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 63 damn years old. I started driving cars before you even needed to know how to hotwire one because everyone left their keys in the ignition if they did not want to have to bother looking for them, or the "careful people" put the keys on the floorboards. Either way when you are 12 yrs old you and a buddy can push a car down the street before you start it, and turn it off, and almost coast back into the spot you "borrowed it" from...
And in the 50 years since I have been driving I haven't driven a half-a-million miles..and now in my old age all these younger whipper-snappers get a car that can go long after they are dead too?
Well back to me... My wore-out 63 year ol' ass is going to buy a "truck" that has a million mile battery, but I am only gonna live to "drive" a couple of hundred thousand more?
"ain't life a bitch"

I am 63 damn years old. I started driving cars before you even needed to know how to hotwire one because everyone left their keys in the ignition if they did not want to have to bother looking for them, or the "careful people" put the keys on the floorboards. Either way when you are 12 yrs old you and a buddy can push a car down the street before you start it, and turn it off, and almost coast back into the spot you "borrowed it" from...
And in the 50 years since I have been driving I haven't driven a half-a-million miles..and now in my old age all these younger whipper-snappers get a car that can go long after they are dead too?
Well back to me... My wore-out 63 year ol' ass is going to buy a "truck" that has a million mile battery, but I am only gonna live to "drive" a couple of hundred thousand more?
"ain't life a bitch"
May you get unlucky and be required to drive every one of those million!

Ah but you see, Elon’s plan for world domination is one where his cars are not sold, but rented. And as soon as you’ve been dropped off, the car will either go charge itself, or pick up someone else. In this way, 1M miles is not so far fetched.

Reactions: JBee
OK Back to the real issue... 30 years ago I noticed they started building trucks to last (This mean they'd last until you at least got through paying for them.) It seems in this century they've made em last for like 150,000 miles if you treat em right.
And now stainless steel with a 1,000,000 mile battery?
You know "unbelievable" has so many meanings.... this is making me think back to when I was 30 yrs old and made my first phone call from a friend's Father's car. It should have been me being all cool and *sugar* because I was calling a friend to ask him, "What name did you use when you reserved the keg?" Instead the first thing out of my mouth was , "GUESS WHERE I AM CALLING YOU FROM!!!?
When I am actually driving this vehicle for the first time I think it is going to be like that.
This *sugar* doesn't seem real.

Reactions: Phlier
OK Back to the real issue... 30 years ago I noticed they started building trucks to last (This mean they'd last until you at least got through paying for them.) It seems in this century they've made em last for like 150,000 miles if you treat em right.
You know "unbelievable" has so many meanings.... this is making me think back to when I was 30 yrs old and made my first phone call from a friend's Father's car. It should have been me being all cool and *sugar* because I was calling a friend to ask him, "What name did you use when you reserved the keg?" Instead the first thing out of my mouth was , "GUESS WHERE I AM CALLING YOU FROM!!!?
When I am actually driving this vehicle for the first time I think it is going to be like that.
I find myself *really* wanting to be there when you take delivery of your Cybertruck. :)

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors

+1 The SS body and the future battery promise was part of the tipping point for me to switch. Cybertruck will be my first EV. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time... 7, 9 and 14 years for my current cars. So I hope it lasts for many years of service.

Yes, I bought my first cell phone in 1991...the "brick phone". Looking at my daughter's iPhone 11, I chuckle to myself that my first phone only had the "smart" feature to store 10 numbers. Still, it was cool as *sugar* at the time. :)
I expect to be similarly amazed at the truck.

Last edited:
"Lasts forever" (SS+1M) should have great resale value. You drive it 200,000 miles, straight depreciation means you get about 80% on resale; that it is built to still be in great shape at a million miles means it STILL has another 250,000 to 1,000,000 miles of tolerable. More likely it would just be unpopular vs actually in bad shape.

Contrast ICE vehicles, which are worth pretty much $0 at a quarter-million miles.

The $ might not interest you directly in a couple decades, but your heirs will appreciate it.