Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's been 2 weeks now since launch and I've seen all the media YouTube video reviews which were released that day or days later that didn't tell us what we really wanted to see, some actual test results!
Not sure why Matt Watson was brought into the Austin TX plant to test the Cybertruck and not one of the early media to test the new M3P. Would be fun to see him line this up against the previous M3P and the new IONIQ 5N here in the states. And you know he'll drive in the one he thinks is the fastest cause that dude hates losing. Doing this same video in the UK with the same cars won't be as telling because of the MP3 battery differences between the US and everyone else.

So it's been 2 weeks now since launch and I've seen all the media YouTube video reviews which were released that day or days later that didn't tell us what we really wanted to see, some actual test results!
Not sure why Matt Watson was brought into the Austin TX plant to test the Cybertruck and not one of the early media to test the new M3P. Would be fun to see him line this up against the previous M3P and the new IONIQ 5N here in the states. And you know he'll drive in the one he thinks is the fastest cause that dude hates losing. Doing this same video in the UK with the same cars won't be as telling because of the MP3 battery differences between the US and everyone else.
Maybe they know it is underperforming and would like to have all the pre orders in before the bomb drops.. Keep in mind all test results will probably be for the faster US version. there is something fishy about this launch in my opinion. If the car did 10,XX sec I`m pretty sure it would be announced in the config page like the 1/4 mile time for S Plaid.

Maybe they know it is underperforming and would like to have all the pre orders in before the bomb drops.. Keep in mind all test results will probably be for the faster US version. there is something fishy about this launch in my opinion. If the car did 10,XX sec I`m pretty sure it would be announced in the config page like the 1/4 mile time for S Plaid.
What if it does 10.XX for the 1/4 mile but only with a hot battery and it is 11.3 with a cold battery? Maybe they don't want to say a number because they don't want people to complain when they load it up with passengers on a cold day and it can't reach the stated number.

They sold thousands of these cars in minutes without saying anything of substance about the car at all. They simply don't need to report what the car can do in ideal situations to sell the car. The car has already sold extremely well without saying it.

The old Model 3 Performance was extremely battery temperature dependent. You could run 11.4s with a hot battery or often people were only getting 11.8s or worse with a cold battery. This new car maxes out the battery completely where the old one didn't. This new car should be even more battery temperature dependent which would cause the times to fluctuate even more.

This car may be more susceptible to battery temperature than any other car before it. Plaids aren’t as affected by it as much. Model S/X LR aren’t affected by it at all.
Any idea how much frequent pre-heating affects battery life/degradation? It would be nice if they would add in the pre-heat capability and call it drag mode or whatever, but if it affects the battery long term then obviously that would raise their warranty costs.

Any idea how much frequent pre-heating affects battery life/degradation? It would be nice if they would add in the pre-heat capability and call it drag mode or whatever, but if it affects the battery long term then obviously that would raise their warranty costs.
The battery gets to max temperature pretty much every time you Supercharge it. If heating the battery for acceleration affects degradation then Supercharging would affect degradation too. I think degradation isn't really a concern worth worrying about. After a couple years it gets to about 10% in pretty much every modern EV and then stays there. Nothing you do or don't do changes that.

If there is a serious issue then that is what the warranty is for. Also most people never use the whole range so what difference does it make?

How many people here have driven their Model 3 290+ miles without stopping? I have and it was absolutely miserable. I did it once just to see if it could do it even with degradation and it did. I won't do that again with this car though.

Reactions: wook
The battery gets to max temperature pretty much every time you Supercharge it. If heating the battery for acceleration affects degradation then Supercharging would affect degradation too. I think degradation isn't really a concern worth worrying about. After a couple years it gets to about 10% in pretty much every modern EV and then stays there. Nothing you do or don't do changes that.

If there is a serious issue then that is what the warranty is for. Also most people never use the whole range so what difference does it make?

How many people here have driven their Model 3 290+ miles without stopping? I have and it was absolutely miserable. I did it once just to see if it could do it even with degradation and it did. I won't do that again with this car though.
I've had S P85, S P85D, S 100D, 3P, and now X 100D. 290+ miles without a charge of any of them is kind of impossible for "flow of traffic" driving, IMO.

Similar to what you asked though, the original S I drove to "2" rated miles at one point (and supercharged soon after). I also took it past zero, with tow results.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I think 300 miles at 70 mph (in decent weather) is bout the max you’ll get 100 to 0
Sounds about right based on my experience. My longest single stretch ever was 306 miles, but I was averaging closer to 60 and I lost 4,500 feet of elevation in the process. This was in the 2018 Dual Motor Model 3 I had previous to the current car. Also, it still had 3% left after going 306 miles. Slower speeds and elevation drop really make a difference. Also, drafting off of semis can make a big difference. I've done that twice, once when I ran into major headwinds that I wasn't expecting, and another time when I just screwed up calculating how far I could go. I made it both times, but the time when I miscalculated, it was close. The range hit 0 as I pulled into the lot with the Supercharger.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Yep, we watched the video to see if there was a trick to it but still couldn’t remove them without possibly breaking something including fingers!
For reference I just got the T Sportline TSA-5 wheels that came with wheel covers similar to the new wheels on the 2024 Model 3 Performance.

I tried to pop them off but they wouldn’t budge near the hub of the wheel. I didn’t want to break them so I took the whole wheel off and realized that they are screwed into the wheel from the backside.

I imagine the new wheels could be similar. It is unfortunate because you have to take the entire wheel and tire off the car to take the Aero bits off.

The Aero covers help tremendously with efficiency. I saw close to 15% more efficiency with them on vs. off on the TSA-5 wheels in my testing.

IMG_5478.jpeg