Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elaborate why you want RWD?
In this particular case, where I’m daydreaming of something that doesn’t exist, the idea is that less weight on the front wheels helps with steering feel and response. Since I don’t really care how fast my car is but just want to have an engaging experience, I’d be fine without a drive unit up front. (I also never drive in cold. I live in San Diego)

So Tesla could have made the MIC faster than the US 0-40 but waaay slower beyond, just to claim the same 0-60? Just as I feared, but we will have to see to comfirm 100% I guess..
The car is traction limited 0-40 mph so they both should be the same there. In all likelihood if you optimize the battery for both cars the US one will really outpace the MIC one from 40+ mph and up.

In this particular case, where I’m daydreaming of something that doesn’t exist, the idea is that less weight on the front wheels helps with steering feel and response. Since I don’t really care how fast my car is but just want to have an engaging experience, I’d be fine without a drive unit up front. (I also never drive in cold. I live in San Diego)
I posted something similar a few (dozen) pages ago. This car, exactly how it's spec'd now with just the front drive unit removed would be epic. I drove an AWD and RWD Highland back to back and the RWD car feels way sportier as it rotates so much more readily. I don't personally understand the obsession with power and 0 to 60, as it just means you get to use less and less of what you paid for on a daily basis and when you do tap into it, you are always risking your license and obliterating your very expensive tires.

I recently test drove an ND3 and laughed maniacally pretty much the whole test drive.

I posted something similar a few (dozen) pages ago. This car, exactly how it's spec'd now with just the front drive unit removed would be epic. I drove an AWD and RWD Highland back to back and the RWD car feels way sportier as it rotates so much more readily. I don't personally understand the obsession with power and 0 to 60, as it just means you get to use less and less of what you paid for on a daily basis and when you do tap into it, you are always risking your license and obliterating your very expensive tires.

I recently test drove an ND3 and laughed maniacally pretty much the whole test drive.
I beat on my M3P like a rental car every day for a year, and I do the same with my Plaid. Tires are a necessary expense, and to many, a car is boring if all it does is potentially turn in slightly faster than a model with nearly twice the power and AWD. I would argue that always having the power available and absolutely rocketing out of corners is far more fun than neutering the car to save a couple hundred pounds.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I beat on my M3P like a rental car every day for a year, and I do the same with my Plaid. Tires are a necessary expense, and to many, a car is boring if all it does is potentially turn in slightly faster than a model with nearly twice the power and AWD. I would argue that always having the power available and absolutely rocketing out of corners is far more fun than neutering the car to save a couple hundred pounds.
And having driven a RWD model 3 side by side with a M3P, I question how anyone can truly find the former more fun. I certainly did not find it “rotated easier”. And notably the LFP models (which is all highland RWDs) weigh basically the same as the awd models.

Idk how accurate his gps is we would need a way to correlate
IMG_1830.png

Reactions: MarkoP
And having driven a RWD model 3 side by side with a M3P, I question how anyone can truly find the former more fun. I certainly did not find it “rotated easier”. And notably the LFP models (which is all highland RWDs) weigh basically the same as the awd models.

So to clarify, your assessment is that removing 2-300 lbs. of drive unit slung over the front axle does NOT meaningfully impact turn in or driving dynamics?

People are allowed to have different opinions. Fast GT cars are great. I just find there is always a faster one around the corner. This was how it was for me with the dozen or so VW Audi products I owned over the years. Buy it. Tune it. Get bored and move to the next higher model in the line. Rinse and repeat. We got the accel boost on the wife's Model Y and it's fun, but we pretty much never use it, especially now that FSD is so good. The 2.0L Giulia broke this trend for me, being supremely balanced with amazing handling and turn in. The RWD Highland M3 surprised me by giving me a bit of the same feeling. It's too soft obviously, but you can really romp on it and feel the car rotate around you. I personally ordered a M3P for the digi-dampers and seats.

I don't really see the use of what this car or the previous can do with an optimized battery. I'm not waiting for 10min before hitting a back road or an on ramp, or overtaking etc. If it's not immediately usable what is the point, beyond bragging rights?

Reactions: Engi_Nerd
I timed 0-100mph a few times and got low 7s going by as soon as I see the camera shake which is also right about when the 0 pops up and stopping at 100. This should be on the slow end of things since the car hasnt quite moved yet.

But fastestlaps.com has the TM3p at 8.2s for 0-160kph (100mph) so that should be pretty well a second faster to 100. The 120-130 looks pretty sad, but 1 sec quicker to 100 isnt insignificant.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd