Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If a Model S Plaid has 1,020 HP, a dual motor "baby-Plaid" Model 3 should have ~680 HP, provided the pack can provide enough current.

I know this is wishful thinking, but having both motors in the rear (essentially just drop in a Plaid rear drive unit) would be so cool. I would pay an irrational amount of money for that.

Last edited:
Yeah, you linked to your own opinion that this exists with no evidence, and then were immediately refuted by other people. You can't cite yourself as fact that this exists.

Any experienced driver can witness them on their own with their internal gyrometer, I am not interested in scientific research on Tesla vehicles.

It's been an interesting conversation, but for me it's clear that you just believe these things out of your own experiences without any actual evidence, and a generalized sense that the car is somehow using all sorts of sensors all the time. The preponderance of evidence from 4.9 million other Tesla drivers is that these things don't happen, and logic says there is no reason for Tesla to do them. I think you're also tainted by the specific advertised, documented, and indicated existence of Adaptive Regen on BMW's and are now experiencing a placebo effect in the Tesla hoping that it has some of the same tech.

I do hope you can come up with some evidence besides your "butt," but until then I'm done, although I will be paying more attention as I drive.

I'm not interested in providing evidence, I am anecdotally describing how my Tesla Model 3 LR behaves for me. It might be an one off, but it is real. You can try for yourself and your reproduction of the situation or the car's behavior might be same or different. Just my 2 cents, nothing more.

Model 3 Performance now has a ‘T’ in the 8th digit of the VIN, the digit which identifies the type of motor/drive unit in the vehicle. The first assumption with having the letter ‘T’ is that it is now a tri-motor setup, and this would make sense as the Plaid variants of the Model S and Model X, which are tri-motor vehicles, also have ‘T’ in this part of their VINs in Europe. However the certification document specifically states it is still a Dual Motor, and it is unlikely that Tesla would actually upgrade the Model 3 to a tri-motor setup, reserving that for their flagship vehicles.

Instead what Tesla may have done is kept it as a dual motor setup, but upgraded one of the motors, most likely the front, to the same one that is found on the Model S/X Plaid. This would improve the top-end speed and acceleration of the Model 3 Performance, something that has hindered its performance in races longer than a quarter-mile against gas-powered supercars.

New Tesla Model 3 Performance appears in European certification documents, hinting at upgraded performance - Drive Tesla (driveteslacanada.ca)

Last edited:
Model 3 Performance now has a ‘T’ in the 8th digit of the VIN, the digit which identifies the type of motor/drive unit in the vehicle. The first assumption with having the letter ‘T’ is that it is now a tri-motor setup, and this would make sense as the Plaid variants of the Model S and Model X, which are tri-motor vehicles, also have ‘T’ in this part of their VINs in Europe.

New Tesla Model 3 Performance appears in European certification documents, hinting at upgraded performance - Drive Tesla (driveteslacanada.ca)
The Model 3 will be nearly unbeatable if that is true.

1695337422169.png

• Funny
Reactions: DocHolliday
@Adam3 is EVIL. Why did you not quote the rest of the article?

The first assumption with having the letter ‘T’ is that it is now a tri-motor setup, and this would make sense as the Plaid variants of the Model S and Model X, which are tri-motor vehicles, also have ‘T’ in this part of their VINs in Europe. However the certification document specifically states it is still a Dual Motor, and it is unlikely that Tesla would actually upgrade the Model 3 to a tri-motor setup, reserving that for their flagship vehicles.

Instead what Tesla may have done is kept it as a dual motor setup, but upgraded one of the motors, most likely the front, to the same one that is found on the Model S/X Plaid. This would improve the top-end speed and acceleration of the Model 3 Performance, something that has hindered its performance in races longer than a quarter-mile against gas-powered supercars.

1695337678534.png

Reactions: Adam3 and Daniel L
Model 3 Performance now has a ‘T’ in the 8th digit of the VIN, the digit which identifies the type of motor/drive unit in the vehicle. The first assumption with having the letter ‘T’ is that it is now a tri-motor setup, and this would make sense as the Plaid variants of the Model S and Model X, which are tri-motor vehicles, also have ‘T’ in this part of their VINs in Europe. However the certification document specifically states it is still a Dual Motor, and it is unlikely that Tesla would actually upgrade the Model 3 to a tri-motor setup, reserving that for their flagship vehicles.

A dual carbon overwrap motor setup for Model 3 would be epic.

Reactions: Adam3
A dual carbon overwrap motor setup for Model 3 would be epic.
Yeah, now I'm back to "take 93% of my money!"

If you did stick two plaid motors in the car, you should be able to hit about 700 HP / 525 kW. This should be able to sustain to higher RPM than the current motors as well. This would likely give a mid 2 second 0-60 and very strong pull well into the 100's.

Doesn't really need a third motor, especially if you care about handling and keeping weight reasonable. But what this car would really need is a LSD if it doesn't have full torque vectoring in the rear, or else it will just be open diff limited at low speed corners like the current car is.

Last edited:
Well, this is getting interesting. Apparently, the attached recent video shows Model 3 Highland out in the wild in California. Since Tesla has already officially revealed the Model 3 Highland, there should be no reason for Tesla to continue covering it…. unless the vehicle shown in this video is the Performance variant of the Model 3 Highland. This is what most folks are speculating. Visually, the wheels (especially the rear) looks bigger than the standard 18 or 19” wheels found on the standard or long range. This vehicle also appears to have a more aggressive look/stance. Hope this is indeed the upcoming Dual Motor Performance, or perhaps even a Tri-Motor Plaid…. 🤞

If Tesla can deliver a sub 3.0 second M3P for 60k or less, I'll be selling my RS3 immediately. I do hope they do a better job differentiating the M3P from the LR in terms of exterior and interior. The M3P needs to feel special to steal sales from BMW and Audi fans. I am the target audience for this car.

If Tesla can deliver a sub 3.0 second M3P for 60k or less, I'll be selling my RS3 immediately. I do hope they do a better job differentiating the M3P from the LR in terms of exterior and interior. The M3P needs to feel special to steal sales from BMW and Audi fans. I am the target audience for this car.
Feel that, if the new P3 is equivalent to the long range S for 60-130 times and possibly dip below 3 seconds 0-60 without rollout subtracted it would dust the new M3/C63 platform stock vs stock. Hoping for a 2.8/2.9 and 10.8 1/4. Doubt it will drop to low/mid 10s since that’s P100D territory but i’d instantly switch as well. At most they’ll change its bumper / spoiler styling but interior will likely never be changed. let’s hope the back is wider than the LR tho.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I prefer a "sleeper." I don't want to advertise. I just want to have fun.

Which is why you bought a stealth M3P, but have a non-stealth in your picture, right? ;)
Great observation!.. which deserves a good explanation.

When I bought my vehicle back in 2019, I wanted the power/acceleration of the Performance trim, but did not want the larger 20” wheels. Back then, I had the perception that 20” wheels would result in firm/uncomfortable ride. When I expressed this concern to my Sales Advisor, he suggested I take a look at one of those off-menu Stealth models (with 19” wheels) that were available at the time.
Being a total newbie to Tesla, I had no idea what a Stealth was at the time. But decided to go for it and buy the Stealth. Obviously, that proved to be a great decision because the Stealth model eventually turned out to be one of the most rare & sought-after trims in the Model 3 line.

The performance upgrades you see in my various photos (spoiler, red painted brake calipers, lowered suspension, etc…) were added/installed later by me. Someone is going to get a kick-ass ride when I sell this thing to get a Tri-Motor Plaid Model 3!!! 😎

Last edited:
The performance upgrades you see in my various photos (spoiler, red painted brake calipers, lowered suspension, etc…) were added/installed later by me. Someone is going to get a kick-ass ride when I sell this thing to get a Tri-Motor Plaid Model 3!!! 😎
You forgot to mention the custom ambient lighting install (unless you ripped that out?) 👍