Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed the "scan my Tesla" app and an OBDII dongle in my Model 3 (delivered Nov 2021, one of first 60kwh LFP cars). According to the app, battery was 60.5 kwh when new, and is now 56.5 kwh. Mileage is 29,915. I believe the app is just reporting numbers from the car's CAN bus, so this is what the car believes the battery capacity is.
Yes, it does. Most numbers are just read from the BMS. A few is (probably) calculated with the help of read numbers.
Nearly 7% degradation in almost 2.5 years. From the graph posted by @AAKEE a few posts up, that's slightly better than expected.

Yes.

80,000 mile (128,750 km) update for my Sep 2021 SR+ LFP. The car is now 2 years 8 months old and was originally rated at 253 miles on a full charge. The Tessie app shows a battery capacity of 50.9 kWh (down 6.4% from my original Oct 2021 post of 54.6 kWh), and a max range of 236 miles (down 6.7% from my original range of 253 miles, which hasn't changed since my 75,000 mile update). I've had Tessie since my first day or two or ownership, so this data shows the entire life of the car.

Screenshot_20240430-114325.jpg
Screenshot_20240430-114341.jpg

According to the car's screen, I'm averaging 211 Wh/mi over the life of the car (no change since the 75,000 mile update). In cold winter weather I can expect 240+ Wh/mi when it's below 30f, and in ideal temps (75-85f) I routinely manage under 200 Wh/mi on my 100 mile round-trip commute. Assuming I could tap into the current 50.9 kWh battery at my lifetime average 211 Wh/mi efficiency, that gives me a real-world range of 241.2 miles.

PXL_20240430_164247230.jpg

Today Tesla fired the entire 500-person team in charge of the Supercharger network, and TBH that has me a little bummed. I'm going on a 2,000 mile road trip in the next month, made possible by Tesla's excellent charging network. I'm getting the feeling that Tesla doesn't want to be a car company anymore, so as positive as my experience has been with my Model 3, I'll try to drive it into the ground and then look elsewhere for my next car.

80,000 mile (128,750 km) update for my Sep 2021 SR+ LFP. The car is now 2 years 8 months old and was originally rated at 253 miles on a full charge. The Tessie app shows a battery capacity of 50.9 kWh (down 6.4% from my original Oct 2021 post of 54.6 kWh), and a max range of 236 miles (down 6.7% from my original range of 253 miles, which hasn't changed since my 75,000 mile update). I've had Tessie since my first day or two or ownership, so this data shows the entire life of the car.

View attachment 1043179View attachment 1043181

According to the car's screen, I'm averaging 211 Wh/mi over the life of the car (no change since the 75,000 mile update). In cold winter weather I can expect 240+ Wh/mi when it's below 30f, and in ideal temps (75-85f) I routinely manage under 200 Wh/mi on my 100 mile round-trip commute. Assuming I could tap into the current 50.9 kWh battery at my lifetime average 211 Wh/mi efficiency, that gives me a real-world range of 241.2 miles.

View attachment 1043182

Today Tesla fired the entire 500-person team in charge of the Supercharger network, and TBH that has me a little bummed. I'm going on a 2,000 mile road trip in the next month, made possible by Tesla's excellent charging network. I'm getting the feeling that Tesla doesn't want to be a car company anymore, so as positive as my experience has been with my Model 3, I'll try to drive it into the ground and then look elsewhere for my next car.
There is more to the supercharger rumors that what has been reported. I don't think Tesla will stop supercharger installs any time soon.

Less than 4000 miles and five months old on my 2023 and it’s down to 268 miles at 100% charge now.

Initial degradation is alarming but it slows down. Sign up with Recurrent auto (free) and track your battery degradation. My 10 month old M3 RWD is at 21k miles and my range is 266. Due to the flat/steady voltage of the LFP pack, the BMS has a hard time tracking the actual range of the battery. Make sure to charge to 100% at least once a month to let the BMS learn the real state of the battery.

1714577581697.png

Reactions: mknmike
Most of the range loss is due to calendar aging. What's the build date on your M3? Also does it have 18 or 19in wheels?
And contrary to general popular opinion, the calendar aging for LFP also increases with higher state of charge and it's best to keep it under 60-65% for most of its life.

Sure, charge to 100% occasionally for calibration, but don't do it every day and don't leave it there for a long time.

And contrary to general popular opinion, the calendar aging for LFP also increases with higher state of charge and it's best to keep it under 60-65% for most of its life.

Sure, charge to 100% occasionally for calibration, but don't do it every day and don't leave it there for a long time.
Real world data seems to indicate that calendar aging is, by far, the predominant factor. see post 1403.

Yes, like most of the general community ”knowledge” about lithium batteries it is a little divergent from the reality.

70% and below is good. (The ”step” at ~72% true SOC).
Yup.

Reactions: DrChaos
Sure, charge to 100% occasionally for calibration,
And while Tesla recommend charge to 100% I think weekly, I don't think that's even necessary. It's easy enough to estimate energy consumption via the Trips. Wh/km x actual km driven. Then add that kWh back in + margin for Sentry etc with each charging session. Then the 100% charging session can be done every 2 weeks even longer. Or before a longer trip is required where the km driven is closer to the expected range of the battery. Of course it's a bit more maths and maybe not the for average EV driver.

In other words instead of using %SoC as the indicator for charge remaining, it would be better if the car can display the kWh used and key remaining , then it's a simple matter of adding the kWh back in . At the moment that requires some manual calculation.

Last edited:
And while Tesla recommend charge to 100% I think weekly, I don't think that's even necessary. It's easy enough to estimate energy consumption via the Trips. Wh/km x actual km driven. Then add that kWh back in + margin for Sentry etc with each charging session. Then the 100% charging session can be done every 2 weeks even longer. Or before a longer trip is required where the km driven is closer to the expected range of the battery. Of course it's a bit more maths and maybe not the for average EV driver.

In other words instead of using %SoC as the indicator for charge remaining, it would be better if the car can display the kWh used and key remaining , then it's a simple matter of adding the kWh back in . At the moment that requires some manual calculation.
Tesla recommends to keep the charge at 100% for daily and to fully charge once a week.

I just charged mine up to 100% today — 236 miles. Same age, same battery capacity, but less than 17,000 miles on the car…