Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Tires Mileage less than 16k and needing replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have replaced the rear tires of my Model Y Performance at 17K miles, and they are looking to be replaced again at 26K - I am down to minimal tread already. Is anyone else having this issue? If so, is there an alignment needed at Tesla or a better tire to use? Thanks!

Yes, this is not an issue. It is normal. The camber in the rear cannot be changed (without aftermarket parts) and all tires will be susceptible to this. Avoiding hard launches is one of the only ways to mitigate it.

The camber in the rear cannot be changed (without aftermarket parts)
I would recommend looking at this posting:

#15:​
Good article on Tesla alignment and tire wear.

Last edited:
Go with the new Goodyear Electric Drive GT’s.. They are specifically designed for performance EV’s. They are designed to not wear quickly due to the excessive torque and green light launches. I just got them a few months ago and they really do a good job at mitigating the road noise and have held up well with my lead foot. They come with 10/32nd tread and after 6k miles the fronts are still at 10/32 and the rears are at 9/32. Plus they come with a 40k warranty. They are no Sport Cup Two’s but they are comparable to P-Zeros in my opinion.

Go with the new Goodyear Electric Drive GT’s.. They are specifically designed for performance EV’s. They are designed to not wear quickly due to the excessive torque and green light launches. I just got them a few months ago and they really do a good job at mitigating the road noise and have held up well with my lead foot. They come with 10/32nd tread and after 6k miles the fronts are still at 10/32 and the rears are at 9/32. Plus they come with a 40k warranty. They are no Sport Cup Two’s but they are comparable to P-Zeros in my opinion.

I don't see that these tires are sold in 21" size.

I have replaced the rear tires of my Model Y Performance at 17K miles, and they are looking to be replaced again at 26K - I am down to minimal tread already. Is anyone else having this issue? If so, is there an alignment needed at Tesla or a better tire to use? Thanks!
You don't say whether or not the tires are wearing evenly (inside/outside front/back). If they are not wearing evenly then you may need alignment. If they are wearing evenly, the problem is that you have a lead foot and a "P" car.

Reactions: Kokukenji
EVs are coming up too fast while Tire companies either not catching up or in 'see what happens' mode. Michelin is working hard on airless tire and testing on Chevy Bolt
1668700736631.png

Had a discussion with my mobile tech when he was doing the brake service, he said for MY LR, he has seen about 18-20k for new tires. The rears will wear much faster than the fronts so rotating will extend the life of the tires. Biggest factor is weight of vehicle and the instant torque that we all enjoy when driving, will shred tires quickly.

Reactions: fiehlsport
I'm a new member and this is my first post. I have to say, I know exactly how the guy who started this string of posts feels. I took delivery on a new Tesla Y LR in June 2021, had the tires rotated every 5k miles in August 2022, at 24,727 miles one of the tires picked up a nail. The remaining 3 tires were at 4.5/32's (50% tread remaining) so I decided to buy 4 new tires of the exact brand and model that had come from the factory. I figured since I had driven the original set for 25k miles and they still had 50% tread remaining, why not stick with them. I bought the replacement set of tires and had an alignment job done all at the same time at my local Tesla SC. When Tesla Sc completed the work, they measured the tread depth on the new tires and noted them on the invoice. The depths on all four tires all measured 9/32's. I kept the 3 tires with 50% tread remaining to use as spares. I put them up in my garage. Exactly 4 weeks later 09/29/22 at 27,945 miles, I noticed abnormal wear on my new tires. I informed the Tesla SC that the alignment work was not performed correctly. Tesla SC drove my Y and said "Nope, it's perfect, the abnormal wear must be due to your". The fronts measured 8/32's and the back tires were 5/32's.......THAT'S A 45% TREAD REDUCTION IN 3218 MILES ON THE BACK TIRES!!!! I was amazed at how one's driving habits could change so drastically in 4 weeks; my previous set of tires (prior to the SC alignment) wore evenly and lasted 25k miles and still had 40% of their tread left when I bought the new set! I paid for a rotation on 9/29/22 and left very frustrated at Tesla. I went home and promptly cancelled the order I had place in May 2022 for a second Model Y Performance. Fast forward two months. Today is 11/30/22 and the back tires, which were on the front as of 9/29/22 measuring 8/32's after 4 weeks use but had been rotated to the back, are now measuring 1/32 and the steel belts are showing; the tires on the front which were rotated from the back on 9/29 are measuring 4/32, so they're half gone. Brans new set of tires gone in 3 months after just 7385 miles. I'm really happy I save the 3 remaining tires from the original set. Now I can put two of them on the back axle and see if the problem is a faulty alignment job by Tesla or a defective batch of tires from Goodyear. Either way, I may have a class action lawsuit on my hands. A final point, I checked the wear pattern on my back tires and when I run my fingers across the tires the wear pattern feels smooth one way and rough coming back the other way which indicates toe wear misalignment (Camber wear would be smooth in both directions). Any thoughts are welcome

Attachments

• remaing originals with 25k of use.jpg
    remaing originals with 25k of use.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 268
  • current back psngr side.jpg
    current back psngr side.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 278
Your situation isn't really apples-to-apples with what everyone here is saying - the main problem in this thread is higher than normal tire wear on the factory alignment caused by high negative camber on the Model Y Performance - not the LR. This thread isn't really geared towards the LR - the camber is much more reasonable on those cars.

It sounds like your alignment was fine, then Tesla botched a re-alignment causing your tires to wear a lot faster. I highly, highly doubt it was a bad batch of tires - just want to save you some time on hold with Goodyear's phone support if I can. :)

I hate to say it, but you shot yourself in the foot getting an alignment (Incorrectly performed) at 25k when the tire wear was acceptable - there was no reason for an alignment at this time. No class action lawsuit would apply here - you just had a bad service experience and would have to go through your service center to see if they will make it right, if too much time hasn't already passed.

Last edited: