Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ->Toronto How to check Tesla super charger health status?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
Driving from NJ to Toronto. Wondering whats the best way to check the Tesla supercharger health status to see if they are actually working or not? Sometimes they are down when we go on other trips. Anyway to do it outside of the in car app?

Thanks!

As far as I know, the in-car navigation is the only way to get near real-time status of the Supercharger stations. Tap on the map and then tapping on the Charger icon will show local chargers. Make sure that the "three lightning bolts" icon is the only one highlighted; the others are L1 and L2 chargers. Superchargers will be red teardrop icons with a number. Those numbers are the free stalls available at that location. Tap on the teardrop icon and you'll see the number of stalls available, the total number of stalls, the maximum power and I believe any stalls that are (hard) down.

Outside the car you could try using Plugshare and see if anybody has reported problems with the equipment at the location you select. I would not recommend the ChargeHub app to get station status as all of the ones I've checked in my area say 0/n Available.

Upvote 0
Update: I just found out that it is possible to check on the Supercharger status via the Tesla App. I had looked in what I thought were the obvious places (Charging and Charge Stats) but it's actually under Location. You will see what Tesla thinks is the current location of your car. At the bottom of the screen there's a tab you can swipe up named "Nearby Chargers". You will get a list of Superchargers in the area, addresses, maximum power at each location, the number of stalls available/installed and the distance to the stations. I don't see any of the 10 locations on my phone that indicates if there's any stalls out of commission but at least you can tell if the site is nearly full.

edit: Note that the App seems to only give you Supercharger status in the local area (<15 miles?) or the 10 closest. If you zoom out on the map you will not get status of stations outside that area. So if you want to know the status of a site 100 miles away that you plan on using, you'll have to use the car's navigation system.

Upvote 0
Hi All,
Driving from NJ to Toronto. Wondering whats the best way to check the Tesla supercharger health status to see if they are actually working or not? Sometimes they are down when we go on other trips. Anyway to do it outside of the in car app?

Thanks!
Interesting. I’ve only ever encountered a single “broken” Supercharger in all of my road tripping and it was a clear case of collision (someone either backed in too far or hit the post intentionally with a vehicle).

I’m sort of amazed at your comment “…sometimes they are down when we go on other trips…”

Reallly?!? An entire Supercharger site “down”??

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I agree with @Zcd1... the SuperCharger network is incredibly reliable. Although last week near Syracuse, NY there was a car show (ICE) that was *super* busy (est hundred cars + thousand people) and they parked an ice cream truck *across* the SuperCharger parking spots.... DOH!! They blocked 5 of the 8 spots. Jerks.

To @vv132 - I get the impression that you haven't road tripped in your Tesla yet (because of your lack of trust in the charging network). I assure you (as an internet stranger) that you can just hit the right wheel button, say "navigate to Toronto", and trust the directions and charging network 100%. It's very well maintained.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Yeah, this one is strange to me too. I've heard of it happening a few times here on this forum, but it's extremely rare. I've used them in 30+ states and at least 80+ locations, and I've never seen one down. I wonder what that meant by "Sometimes they are down". Actual Tesla Superchargers? Or like charging stations on other networks?

Upvote 0