Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Four parking spots and four cables, but two stalls.
Plugshare entry suggests both CCS2/CHAdeMO, but hopefully at least one is dual CCS2
From the link you posted this will be 4 car spaces, for cars, and two chargings units with two cables each. As this looks like it will fulfill the federal NRMA grant sites it will likely follow three CCS and one Chademo like the others in the rollout.

Note this is distinct from the exisiting NRMA site in lithgow that has an exisiting two stall/space setup with a CCS/Chademo charge unit for each space.

In other Lithgow news, but not NRMA, someone has also added that Hungry Jacks, on the highway, is getting two CCS two Chademo Evie site. Not a lot of detail, nor any photos, so not sure how accurate that data is.

Seriously? They need to start phasing these chademo out. We don't need so many, especially not 2 and 2.
Note sure the plugshare data will be right, if it follows the Bathurst Evie site it would be 3 CCS and 1 Chademo. Not sure if this site has any funding attached but could still yet be 4 CCS with the fact there is already planned to be 3 Chademo cable locations in Lithgow, though only one car space being exclusive to Chademo.

Reactions: Jules22 and Chuq
Chademo is out. CCS is in. Buy an adapter.

The adapters cost in the range of $2000-$3000 from China. It was barely 6 months ago that the first ever adaptor was successfully developed. Now there are a dozen or more suppliers. Maybe Nissan could toss one into the boot of anyone who buys a LEAF?

I did find this one for $1700. Anyone game? 🤣. I’m not…

The adapters cost in the range of $2000-$3000 from China. It was barely 6 months ago that the first ever adaptor was successfully developed. Now there are a dozen or more suppliers. Maybe Nissan could toss one into the boot of anyone who buys a LEAF?

I did find this one for $1700. Anyone game? 🤣. I’m not…

This one being sold out of europe,
~1900$ I added it to a cart for working out how much the shipping would be, was 80 euros, then overnight they offered me a free shipping offer.
It is probably still coming out of china but they have at least listed the chargers they have tested successfully against. (Does not list v3 or v4 superchargers).

This one being sold out of europe,
~1900$ I added it to a cart for working out how much the shipping would be, was 80 euros, then overnight they offered me a free shipping offer.
It is probably still coming out of china but they have at least listed the chargers they have tested successfully against. (Does not list v3 or v4 superchargers).
Do you know if these adaptors solve the Locking issue with a CCS Plug to a Chademo socket?

I just watched the Bjorn video attached to your link, and he didn't say either way.

He did mention that it had it's own Battery, so perhaps that could power 2 locks.
Though the side of the adaptor did have a warning not to disconnect it, so perhaps it doesn't.

It's a bit dangerous, if that was the case.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Leaf owners to have to buy a $2000 adaptor.

As it stands at the moment, major networks in terms of area covered/volume of plugs available include Tesla supercharger network (0% Chademo), WA EV Network (0% Chademo), RAA Charge (5% Chademo). I don't think it's a massive imposte for NRMA to be the sole 25% Chademo network at this scale. Especially as having a Chademo plug also happens to provide a an almost-guaranteed non-shared CCS plug. Remember any future expansion will be done based on usage so that 25% is going to reduce as time goes on - 16.7, 12.5% etc. as the site grows.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Leaf owners to have to buy a $2000 adaptor.

As it stands at the moment, major networks in terms of area covered/volume of plugs available include Tesla supercharger network (0% Chademo), WA EV Network (0% Chademo), RAA Charge (5% Chademo). I don't think it's a massive imposte for NRMA to be the sole 25% Chademo network at this scale. Especially as having a Chademo plug also happens to provide a an almost-guaranteed non-shared CCS plug. Remember any future expansion will be done based on usage so that 25% is going to reduce as time goes on - 16.7, 12.5% etc. as the site grows.
Fair point

Do you know if these adaptors solve the Locking issue with a CCS Plug to a Chademo socket?

My understanding is that is one of the reasons these adaptors require a battery - to power the lock.

It's a bit dangerous, if that was the case.

Does CHAdeMO have the equivalent of the Type 2 proximity pin? One of the (many) advantages of Type 2 is that you should be able to pull out a Type 2 plug safely without warning. The shorter proximity pin goes open circuit first, and that will immediately shut off any AC or DC current flow. Normally of course the Type 2 integral lock prevents unannounced removal anywway, but the proximity pin is a backup.

I had to confront this last year when I bought a Type 2 to Type 1 adaptor for my LEAF in order to AC charge at work. Without thinking, I got a Type 1 adaptor without the latch, which is what Type 1 normally uses to signal disconnection prior to physical removal of the plug.

So I was confronted with how to stop an AC charge session using an adaptor without a latch, on a car that does not have any means to end a charge session either via an App or on the car’s screen, and an AC charger that operates In Auto mode and no way to tell it, either, to stop.

So I had to hold my breath and just pull the Type 1 plug out. As soon as I did that, the AC charger stopped and there was no sparking or arcing 😅

So - would CHAdeMO behave the same way? 🤔

Are any new EV into australia still coming with ChadeMo?

Yes, any new Nissan LEAF still comes with CHAdeMO. It is the only fully-electric vehicle imported into Australia which does. However Nissan says it will have CCS2 on the Ariya… should it ever make it to these shores.

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Eclipse Cross PHEV are the only other vehicles I know of that are imported here, support DC charging, and use CHAdeMO. But fast charging is mostly a non-issue in PHEVs because I suspect almost no-one does it. Those vehicles have Type 2 ports for AC charging.

I think the Kia Nero PHEV used to come with a CHAdeMO port but it appears Kia only imports the hybrid and fully electric Niros now - no more PHEV versions - and the fully electric one is CCS2. The Kia Sorento PHEV only supports AC charging and has a Type 2 port. The new Lexus UX300e uses CCS2.

The lack of CCS2 on an EV would be an increasingly significant dealbreaker for prospective purchasers, and is possibly starting to harm sales especially for the LEAF, so the few manufacturers still hanging on to CHAdeMO here will more or less be forced the make the change. I, for one, would never consider a new LEAF unless it had CCS2. No ADR changes required @meloccom - this will solve itself 😄

However, even if no new CHAdeMO vehicles are ever imported here, there is still a legacy base that purchased the cars in good faith, so it is a legitimate question of social fairness and equity as to whether CHAdeMO still needs to be provided on publicly funded or partly-publicly funded infrastructure to some extent, at least for the next 5-10 years.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst