Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe there's not much that *you* can't do, but I find that Tesla's voice recognition for my voice is unreliable at best, so I can't use it for anything time or safety critical.

And I hardly even try for navigation any more. After trying to get it to recognize the destination I'm saying four or five times and giving up and typing it in, that approach gets too annoying after a few times.
When I first got my S in 2016 the voice recognition was astounding. It almost always perfectly recognized what I said and it was pretty fast too. Many updates later and now it's dog slow and almost always gets it wrong. One of the few functions in my car that's gotten worse from updates.

When I first got my S in 2016 the voice recognition was astounding. It almost always perfectly recognized what I said and it was pretty fast too. Many updates later and now it's dog slow and almost always gets it wrong. One of the few functions in my car that's gotten worse from updates.

I highly doubt a software update caused this, a loading of the AT&T network in your area, which can cause network operators to substitute a lower fidelity voice codec to conserve bandwidth, is the likely culprit. Voice recognition needs good audio to function correctly. It works amazingly well here right until I'm about to go out of cell coverage and then it starts misunderstanding me as I imagine the audio must have the same little dropouts I get when making a voice call that voice recognition cannot handle.

Another potential explanation is if the microphone was disturbed so it was picking up vibrations from the car.

There is no reason why whatever software Tesla uses would be worse now vs. then. It's audio quality that VR needs to function well.

I highly doubt a software update caused this, a loading of the AT&T network in your area, which can cause network operators to substitute a lower fidelity voice codec to conserve bandwidth, is the likely culprit. Voice recognition needs good audio to function correctly. It works amazingly well here right until I'm about to go out of cell coverage and then it starts misunderstanding me as I imagine the audio must have the same little dropouts I get when making a voice call that voice recognition cannot handle.

Another potential explanation is if the microphone was disturbed so it was picking up vibrations from the car.

There is no reason why whatever software Tesla uses would be worse now vs. then. It's audio quality that VR needs to function well.
Actually it very specifically happened right after an update in 2017. It's been sugar ever since. None of the updates have made it better. But additional updates have made it much slower.

Actually it very specifically happened right after an update in 2017. It's been sugar ever since. None of the updates have made it better. But additional updates have made it much slower.
I've had good voice recognition, but I don't use it too often because passengers always talk and road noise interferes. Something like a hypercardioid Scheops might fix this.

Dunno if you care, but any facts you may provide are overshadowed by your snark which borders on bias...

Note, neither are Tesla. Funny that.
Ha, ha, ha, two storage projects in China didn't use Tesla products.
Wait, what is funny about that? Or peculiar, or unexpected, or even noteworthy?

The utility-scale Tesla Megapack is by no means in that category as a product today, but then again three (or even two) years ago no-one would have thought that Tesla could so mis-manage the Powerpack's ramp as to complete give away the leader position.
Mismanaged Powerpack?
Megapack was introduced over 3 years ago in 2019.
Tesla wasn't using LFP at that point and was cell constrained in general (at least partly due to Pansonic ramp).

Hehe, the SpaceX package, I had forgot that one.
There was many people who believed / still believe, that it will make the car hover...
Reverse the hover and you have the McMurty Speirling which is makes a Nevera look slow, probably Roadster too. Though the McMurty looks like a toy car its is really unique it is has the right formula, 1000hp at 2200lbs with a ridonkulously comical look. It really really will wax everything out there.

Reverse the hover and you have the McMurty Speirling which is makes a Nevera look slow, probably Roadster too. Though the McMurty looks like a toy car its is really unique it is has the right formula, 1000hp at 2200lbs with a ridonkulously comical look. It really really will wax everything out there.

That’s a legit race car, except for the range (and by legit, I mean, challenges an F1). At full race pace though, only lasts one lap. 300 km on the WLTP cycle. I think I just realized why the Roadster specs had such long highway range. So that it can last more than one lap at race pace…

As I recall, the reason for the ban was that cars so equipped could get G-forces high enough to black-out the driver.
That's not really the reason. That's what competitors glommed onto because they were getting owned out there. FYI, the chief of FOCA at the time owned the Brabham team, so it wasn't banned technically while it was beating the previously fastest of the field Lotus. Thus they started to bring up safety issues etc etc. Micheal Andretti even complained that the cars were throwing rocks out and it was sooo dangerous lol. And eventually Bernie had to placate FOCA and retire the cars or the field would boycott the series. And thus it was essentially banned.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33 and JRP3
That's not really the reason. That's what competitors glommed onto because they were getting owned out there. FYI, the chief of FOCA at the time owned the Brabham team, so it wasn't banned technically while it was beating the previously fastest of the field Lotus. Thus they started to bring up safety issues etc etc. Micheal Andretti even complained that the cars were throwing rocks out and it was sooo dangerous lol. And eventually Bernie had to placate FOCA and retire the cars or the field would boycott the series. And thus it was essentially banned.

Yes, I remember those cars. They were banned due to safety concerns. Imagine losing the fan due to debris on the track while you're cornering at +4.5Gs :eek:

Reactions: UltradoomY
Yes, I remember those cars. They were banned due to safety concerns. Imagine losing the fan due to debris on the track while you're cornering at +4.5Gs :eek:
The fans came from military apps so they will crunch anything taken in. These were the same complaints of the Chapparal 2J. And the reply was pass me bro if you don't like it? Lmao. The 2J was banned for moving aero elements which is ironic cuz Can-Am was supposed to be lawless ruleless.

View attachment 895630

PS: The chart is generally accurate but specifically wrong so don’t call me out on it unless you disagree with the premise. I know the timeline is crap.
I have completed my Ogre sensitivity training and passed with flying colors.

Training for Ogres .jpg