Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P90DL V2 Max Battery, 90 - Pedal Stomp method.
90 SOC.jpg
% SOC

This is really bad.

Jon flat out deceived all of us. Stating Tesla was going to remove the power restrictions. When they actually imposed new power restrictions to owners who have not triggered the counter power reduction.
I owned the car I paid for, for a few weeks. It is worth $150k. I was VERY happy. The feel of the power the V3 battery is capable of is epic.
Now that is gone.

I want control of my car.

Can you imagine Porsche mechanics entering your garage at night reducing your cars performance????

I think this is confirmation enough that there certainly is something wrong in the design of the P90DL that basically causes something to break prematurely after high-power use.

Limiting power helps delay this issue, hence the orginal move to limit high-power users and now a second move to limit the later higher-power revisions of the car. Whatever this design fault is, it is there.

That, of course, is not surprising at all. What is more surprising is seeing Tesla once again say one thing and then do something else, playing fast and loose with the trust of their customers. Giving in just enough to try and get away with it...

I guess nobody should be surprised anymore.

Puts a new spin on anything Tesla says in public, doesn't it?

I still think you guys are being too harsh on Tesla, even though they did bring all of this fury on themselves with their own sheer stupidity and their poor communications.

There is now a reasonable path to get maximum performance out of your vehicle should you really want to do it.
1. Full charge
2. Max Battery
3. Launch
= 1600 amps

Every time.
Until something breaks.
In which case Tesla will fix it under warranty.

This seems to me to be no different to the various hoops you go through with ICE cars and launches.

Mash 'n' go will still get you 1500 amps. Shouldn't have too many problems beating other cars off the line at the traffic lights or passing cars on the open highway with that sort of power!

Having said all of the above, I take my hat off to you all for your perseverance in uncovering this sorry mess in the first place and getting it addressed. I'd like to say that Tesla will learn from this, but...there will be another TeslaGate in due course (probably AP2Gate).

I no longer think it is a coincidence that there was a effort to reduce the 90 battery to below 1600 amps once the 100 batteries were able to meet or exceed a 90 @ 1600 amps' level of performance. Tesla cares far more about their next customer than they do about their current customer. Arguably it was only after the issue with their current customers had the chance of affecting new customers that the company took action and then only sufficient action so as to take the wind out of those customer's sails. Their CPO program reinforces this belief for me.

I typically will walk away from anyone where the definition of what is is ends up being debated. The product is too good and there are no other options right now so I will continue to buy Model S. However, I no longer believe what I am told and will hear everything with a constant reminder that smart people are talking and their intent is to deceive to their advantage.

I no longer think it is a coincidence that there was a effort to reduce the 90 battery to below 1600 amps once the 100 batteries were able to meet or exceed a 90 @ 1600 amps' level of performance. Tesla cares far more about their next customer than they do about their current customer. Arguably it was only after the issue with their current customers had the chance of affecting new customers that the company took action and then only sufficient action so as to take the wind out of those customer's sails. Their CPO program reinforces this belief for me.

I typically will walk away from anyone where the definition of what is is ends up being debated. The product is too good and there are no other options right now so I will continue to buy Model S. However, I no longer believe what I am told and will hear everything with a constant reminder that smart people are talking and their intent is to deceive to their advantage.

Or maybe frequent WOTs at 1600 amps decrease projected MTTF a good amount so to mitigate that they make harder and less likely to be used. Similar to the p100d Easter egg. And similar to why they don't keep the battery heated all the time too. It's all a trade off.

As for current customers, I like that they offered ludicrous upgrade and software tweaks to make my car significantly faster than it was when I bought it. And my service people treat me very well the few times I've come in and they clearly act like they care about past customers. But then I also treat them well and don't attribute evil intentions to them when I don't get quite exactly what I want and instead try to understand that engineering trade-offs have to be made. and those choices will likely reduce my out-of-warranty costs as well as reduce my inconvenience for needing repairs whether covered by warranty or not.

• Disagree
Reactions: hostman
I still think you guys are being too harsh on Tesla, even though they did bring all of this fury on themselves with their own sheer stupidity and their poor communications.

There is now a reasonable path to get maximum performance out of your vehicle should you really want to do it.
1. Full charge
2. Max Battery
3. Launch
= 1600 amps

Every time.
Until something breaks.

This seems to me to be no different to the various hoops you go through with ICE cars and launches.

Mash 'n' go will still get you 1500 amps. Shouldn't have too many problems beating other cars off the line at the traffic lights or passing cars on the open highway with that sort of power!

Having said all of the above, I take my hat off to you all for your perseverance in uncovering this sorry mess in the first place and getting it addressed. I'd like to say that Tesla will learn from this, but...there will be another TeslaGate in due course (probably AP2Gate).

You would be correct if this is how they sold me the car. The car they sold me got to LM/1600 amps by selecting LM (always on in my car) and turning on max battery. This method has now been eliminated. Not what I purchased. This back and forth with Tesla has really changed how I feel about the car.

I guess Tesla employees are just another typical car salesman.

Reactions: hostman and Walta
You would be correct if this is how they sold me the car. The car they sold me got to LM/1600 amps by selecting LM (always on in my car) and turning on max battery. This method has now been eliminated. Not what I purchased.

This is a key point which some people seem to keep missing. Tesla went and changed the behavior of the product after purchase and without prior notice at the time of sale it would do so.

Has anyone with a P100D confirmed that you need to engage Launch Mode to get maximum power?

Just saw a new thread with a P100DL owner asking why his power went from 580 to 515...

It sounds like you collected the with max battery and Ludicrous plus Data already 515 KW now with update vs 580KW previously.

Link? This clearly devalues the P100D
:eek:Anyone else having issues w/ Ludicrous+o_O:mad::confused::rolleyes:

I have noticed since getting the update to remove performance counters/reduction that when I use ludicrous plus, as soon as I go full throttle I go from "max battery" to "cooling". The max kw I get is 515 when I used to get 580. "Cooling" stay on for 10 sec then reverts back to "max battery". It's around 60 degrees outside today and it doesn't matter how long I wait between full throttle attempts I get the cooling immediately.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same? Seems to be there isn't a difference in performance counters and reduction in Kw if you can use max power! I'm going to reach out to Tesla when I have a chance to get explanation.

1. Full charge
2. Max Battery
3. Launch
= 1600 amps

Every time.
Until something breaks.

You actually don't need full charge. Tech_Guy got the 1600A with 93% charge. I seems the only requirement is max battery ready and launch mode.

You would be correct if this is how they sold me the car. The car they sold me got to LM/1600 amps by selecting LM (always on in my car) and turning on max battery. This method has now been eliminated. Not what I purchased. This back and forth with Tesla has really changed how I feel about the car.

I guess Tesla employees are just another typical car salesman.
Unless I'm getting it wrong, it seems the only addition to the criteria you listed is that max battery has to be ready (although I don't think the test had been made with just max battery not ready and LM). The battery doesn't have to be fully charged to get 1600A.

You actually don't need full charge. Tech_Guy got the 1600A with 93% charge. I seems the only requirement is max battery ready and launch mode.

Yes though previously you would get 1600 amps in max battery power without launch mode. I've got tests down to 60% battery that still pulled 1600 amps from the pack. On 7.1 software I don't think the pack amp limit changed before down to say 20% when max battery power would turn off due to low SOC.

My Model X P100DL is only achieving 515kw when in Ludicrous plus when I used to get 575-580kw. My battery was warmed up and ready for max power just like I have done in the past but as soon as I hit throttle I go from max power ready to cooling. It last maybe 10 seconds after lifting from throttle and then it returns to max power ready. I have called Tesla SC and they are reviewing logs. The guy I spoke with tried giving me a lecture that he advises against ludicrous+ bc it shortens battery life so I quickly let him know I traded in my McLaren 12C on this vehicle bc I wanted something fast that my family could enjoy and Tesla never said anything about performance reduction or shortening battery while I spoke extensively with Tesla before ordering about the performance of the P100DL. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am with Tesla! First off I was better off before there update that supposedly removed performance reduction. Don't act like your removing something when your not and don't sell a vehicle that you sell on performance when it can't handle the performance. I could literally full throttle my Tesla on track all day long and it never suffered performance degration! This needs to be corrected in an appropriate manner by Tesla!

Last edited: