Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raptor Engine - General Development Discussion and News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Based on this and Elons WSJ interview sounds like they are hitting a wall.
I still think it is more of a production and manufacturing problem over a design flaw of some sort. Elon wants thousands of these engines. If they are too complex and difficult to produce/manufacture or are too costly then they are a failure as far as Elon is concerned. Raptor 2 will address a lot of the issues but it still might be too complex for everywhere except for Earth. He mentions "interplanetary" engine. Raptor is important for getting out of our gravity well but not as necessary to tooling around the solar system and landing on other planets. Maybe go with a much simpler gas generator cycle methalox engine for that?

1667826291659.png

NSF video about the V3 and the recent record breaking test. At the end of the video is the full duration test fire; crank up the volume and with good headphones you can really hear the crackling.

The most interesting bit for me was seeing the exhaust plume comparison of V2 and V3. It really communicates how much more power V3 is generating - and serves as a reminder that the more efficient a rocket engine is, the better is works as a weapon. I wonder if the new cooled plate would work with 33 V3 engines firing at it at full power.