Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack - Is it Really a Risk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my MY and would like to be able to do two things with it. 1) Occasionally carry a kayak or stand up paddle board to the beach. 2) A couple times a year, slowly and carefully, transport 4x8 sheets (maybe two or three, max) of plywood back to my house from the lumber yard 10 minutes away.

If I have the roof rack installed by Tesla, do I really run the risk of a crack at some point? And if I keep the speed low (say less than 35 maybe 40 at the most) with the wood, is there really a risk to that? If it is tied down well?

And is there any risk of taking it through a standard car wash?

Thanks for any input!

We decided not to use the roof rack, to keep aerodynamic drag to a minimum, and we think it looks better. We have the tow hitch option and a small utility trailer (can carry 4' x 8' sheets flat), that we use when needed as our "pickup truck". Works great, and no fears about damaging the Y.

Reactions: alain99
We decided not to use the roof rack, to keep aerodynamic drag to a minimum, and we think it looks better. We have the tow hitch option and a small utility trailer (can carry 4' x 8' sheets flat), that we use when needed as our "pickup truck". Works great, and no fears about damaging the Y.
Unfortunately I live in the city and have no garage nor any space to store a trailer. But yes, that would be the ideal option. I do have the two hitch. And I'm trying to remember why I thought that would be something I could use!

I just got my MY and would like to be able to do two things with it. 1) Occasionally carry a kayak or stand up paddle board to the beach. 2) A couple times a year, slowly and carefully, transport 4x8 sheets (maybe two or three, max) of plywood back to my house from the lumber yard 10 minutes away.

If I have the roof rack installed by Tesla, do I really run the risk of a crack at some point? And if I keep the speed low (say less than 35 maybe 40 at the most) with the wood, is there really a risk to that? If it is tied down well?

Thanks for any input!
you might consider some of the suction-cup based rack systems available.
much less expensive, very sturdy, excellent for the random occasional use you describe.

The rack is designed to rest on connection points on the roof, not on the glass. I would just have Tesla install the rack to ensure it's done properly. As long as you don't load it in excess of 165 pounds you should be okay. I'm not sure what it will cost you in range or additional noise.

The rack is designed to rest on connection points on the roof, not on the glass. I would just have Tesla install the rack to ensure it's done properly. As long as you don't load it in excess of 165 pounds you should be okay. I'm not sure what it will cost you in range or additional noise.

Range loss is a few % difference. It does make noise, sometimes it's more than the tires other times it a lot louder

Reactions: El joe and Clun9
Unfortunately I live in the city and have no garage nor any space to store a trailer. But yes, that would be the ideal option. I do have the two hitch. And I'm trying to remember why I thought that would be something I could use!

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
The Tesla OEM rack (which is made by a Yakima-associated company, but is not the same as any Yakima aftermarket rack, although the locks and keys are compatible with those for Yakima aftermarket racks) connects to metal receivers or mount points under the roof glass (which are probably difficult to see through the heavily tinted glass).

Step 6 in Model Y Service Manual | Tesla is the crucial step, where the rail clip is slid under the glass into the rack mounting point that is difficult to see.
GUID-09DD22B4-428F-4250-8158-2C832B3588FF-online-en-US.jpg

Model Y Service Manual | Tesla shows the following photo of the mounting points of a Model 3 or Y with the roof glass removed. This is the roof rack mounting point under the glass that you need to get the clip under when installing the roof rack.
GUID-B8F01846-9EC5-4AD7-9D9E-C9964531ACFA-online-en-US.jpg

Installed correctly, there will be minimal contact between the rack and the roof glass. But it is easy to install incorrectly and have the clip go under only the glass, instead of into the mount point under the glass. This incorrect installation will result in cracked roof glass.

Neither Yakima nor Thule offers their usual aftermarket rack setup for the Model Y (Yakima does offer it for the Model 3, hooking onto the drip rails rather than using the mount points under the roof glass).

Thanks for any input!
I wouldn't put a rack on a glass top. There is another member here with one and it's cause the top to crack.

Reactions: cwerdna