Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, you've lost me now!

Are you saying this doesn't mean we can import at cheap prices and export at higher prices on Outgoing Octopus....?

“Store electricity at times of the day when the Agile prices are super low or even negative (on December 8 2018 Agile dropped to -2.31p per kWh). Then export from your battery when energy on the grid is most in demand, and most expensive.”

If it doesn't mean that then yes, I am very confused!
I think the horse has been beaten to death on this. Presently Octopus is allowing charging at cheap rates and exporting that electricity when you wish. They have the ability to change the policy if they choose to so do in the future.

Because you don't need an MPAN to be able to export, you only need the MPAN to get PAID for the export. Subtle difference.

But that FAQ is defo going to be wrong anyway, they probably meant getting paid.
Yeah, the battery only thing is a bit of a red herring in this discussion. We all have solar and batteries and what I am trying to determine is if Octopus are happy to pay for "brown exports" where you have eg charged up at off peak rate (7.5p IO) and then export back at a higher rate (15p Octopus Outgoing).

The FAQ I posted seems to suggest that you can, unless I have completely misunderstood it, which is entirely possible! But I would suggest that the average person in the street would also misinterpret it in that case.

Are you saying this doesn't mean we can import at cheap prices and export at higher prices on Outgoing Octopus....?

I never said that. You cant have Outgoing Octopus without having an MPAN.... You cant have an MPAN based on a battery alone... You export all you sun (or are encouraged to) due to the pricing they give you.

You cant have IO without an EV yet you can have it if you have an EV charger and not have an EV... This is the realms of exploits and maybe better discussed amongst close friends ;)

I never said that. You cant have Outgoing Octopus without having an MPAN.... You cant have an MPAN based on a battery alone... You export all you sun (or are encouraged to) due to the pricing they give you.

You cant have IO without an EV yet you can have it if you have an EV charger and not have an EV... This is the realms of exploits and maybe better discussed amongst close friends ;)
Thanks, none of those suggested exploits are relevant to my situation.

I think we got there in the end and I am now confident that what I am doing is 100% allowed with the Octopus products I am using and the set up I have. I will keep a close eye on their policy and adjust accordingly if they change anything in the future.

No problem... you were the one that suggested them ;)
Probably just me not explaining myself very well, it certainly wasn't my intention to suggest any exploits that had no bearing whatsoever on my situation. My wife says I waffle too 😆

Just seen your avatar, we're not far from each other. If you have a Powerwall it may have been fitted by the same guys that did ours.

If you have a Powerwall it may have been fitted by the same guys that did ours.

I hope not ;)...

Del-Boys.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: phil4
Solcast accuracy can be impacted by their azimuth field, which they define as:

"The direction on the horizon the PV modules are facing, expressed in degrees. Values must be between −180 and 180. 0 is north, 180 is south. Eastward facing = negative values. Westward facing = positive values. For example, −90 is due east."

i.e. my South-East facing is 140° from north clockwise, but they require −140°

Solcast accuracy can be impacted by their azimuth field, which they define as:

"The direction on the horizon the PV modules are facing, expressed in degrees. Values must be between −180 and 180. 0 is north, 180 is south. Eastward facing = negative values. Westward facing = positive values. For example, −90 is due east."

i.e. my South-East facing is 140° from north clockwise, but they require −140°

Mine is setup like that, -170 as 10 degrees east of south... but it's still not all that accurate. Not bad, just not quite that good. For example this week:
Sunday
Monday 16 - actual 10
Tuesday 17 - actual 9

I realise that's only 2 days, but hopefully gives you an idea.