Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof - V3 - any customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to find out more from someone that gets a quote on what amount of active tiles are decided to be placed on away-sides of roofs - or if you have an East/West pitch, if they do both sides. I have a neighbor with East/West and did a Solar City install in 2016 and they blanketed the roof entirely. Lots of shade there too. As long as the federal tax credit is there, I don't see a reason they use many blanks but rather try to get the most out of the surfaces.

I believe in CA you have to get approval for pumping electrons back onto the grid. So, they limit how many watts that they will buy back, and approve panels based on your past usage/need.

Not sure. 3600 sq ft two story house. Lots of ridges in the roof. Something about the actual energy producing solar tiles needing to be a certain distance from the edges of the roof.
I am willing to bet that the distance away from ridge, gutter edge, hips, etc is for firemen and workers to walk around panels and PV tiles, nothing more. On my plancheck they insisted 3 feet space. The plans were also sent to the fire department to approve.
But then I see all the commercial motel row with panels from gutter to ridge and even overhanging the ridge.:eek:

Just bumping this thread because I haven’t seen anything real-world about V3 here or anywhere else.

I made a deposit on 10/25/19 (the day of the announcement) and was told 2-5 week wait time for a proposal and possibly install in January. I am near near the Fremont factory but January seems to me like a very optimistic timeline. I haven’t heard anything from them since submitting initial information.

Just bumping this thread because I haven’t seen anything real-world about V3 here or anywhere else.

I made a deposit on 10/25/19 (the day of the announcement) and was told 2-5 week wait time for a proposal and possibly install in January. I am near near the Fremont factory but January seems to me like a very optimistic timeline. I haven’t heard anything from them since submitting initial information.

That is not good. We emailed our account rep last Wednesday and he said they would have a proposal by the end of the upcoming week. I hope they are talking normal weeks, and not Elon time weeks.

Does your account on the Tesla site show anything? This is how they communicated to us that they needed a current PG&E bill to get our account information.

Also concerned that the California 2020 fire code changes for 20KW and up battery systems may preclude installing a 2nd (or 3rd) PowerWall.

Last edited:
I already submitted pge information through the website. That’s all it says at this point. End of this week is encouraging but you never know with Elon time.

2019 install is basically out of the question I assume for anyone that hasn’t already signed a contract so the fire code issue is what it is. From what I’ve read, it may not be an issue depending on the jurisdiction, etc.

There is a V3 install in progress in Cupertino. The customer had gotten a quote for V2 and passed because it was too expensive. After the V3 announcement, Tesla came back with the revised V3 pricing and they decided to go ahead. They were quick to go through the process because Tesla had already done the advance work for V2.

Do you know the customer and could get them to join the forum? I would love to hear about the install. We currently are in the process of getting a quote for a V3 roof + Powerwall(s).

I submitted my deposit on the day of the V3 announcement and just received my proposal today. I had a phone call with my sales rep and was told that if I act this week they expect to have the installation done before the end of the year and will be eligible for the full 30% tax credit. I’ll let everyone know if I decide to do this and how it all goes.
What was the size of your roof, what kw was projected?

The setbacks aren't 3' with my v2 roof, there are PV Modules as close as one full tile (~14" wide) horizontally from the roof edges or flashings/ridges, etc., and one row (~8" high) vertically (for example the full bottom row of tiles is non-producing, but the second row is mostly PV Modules). Now I still don't understand how the bigger tiles in v3 work w.r.t. the non-producing "tiles" (or whatever fills-in these spaces other than tiles, since there's supposed to be much less glass cutting with v3). Seems like the placement of the PV Modules (or whatever they're called now) must not be quite as flexible in v3 since they're bigger, but waiting to see any detailed shots/explanation of how v3 works or some actual installs.

Of course it's worth noting that setback requirements probably have some regional influence, that said I've heard lots of times that San Jose is one of the most conservative areas w.r.t. codes & inspections. At least they don't require separate AC disconnect boxes out here.

Last edited: