Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare parts availability - 4 months and still no delivery date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hit by a 3rd party late in Dec 2023 into my offside front, rendering my Y undrivable. It needed a lot of spare parts, but not a write off.

The insurance company have had the car in with repair centre since then, who have repeated told me they have a load of Tesla's in, awaiting parts including mine.

Over 4 months later, the repairers are still awaiting a front lower axle arm and the bumper absorber, with no firm delivery dates. Understandably they cant start repairs until all parts are with them.

I've been on to Tesla resolutions centre who quote global supply chain issues as the reason for continuing delays. They are unable to provide firm dates and I'm now moving into month 5.

Are any other UK owners experiencing such horrendous parts delays or have any advice to speed up/resolve the process?

Steve

Reactions: MD70
Its now been 5 months and still no firm date for the parts arrival. Given that Mastercars (the repair centre) told me that their large repair centre is full of Teslas awaiting parts, I'm amazed that there is no-one on this forum from the UK in the same situation! Thought someone would have some useful tips of who else to contact or how to resolve this joke of a situation

Its now been 5 months and still no firm date for the parts arrival. Given that Mastercars (the repair centre) told me that their large repair centre is full of Teslas awaiting parts, I'm amazed that there is no-one on this forum from the UK in the same situation! Thought someone would have some useful tips of who else to contact or how to resolve this joke of a situation

Realistically though, if people on the internet knew how to resolve this joke of a situation, the repair centre wouldn't be full of Tesla's awaiting parts.

Unfortunately the situation kind of speaks for itself. It's crap but unavoidable.

The profit on 1 (let alone 2) new Ys is greater than the profit on fixing a broken car. Guess which they'll prioritise for the parts?
Only if they can sell them which judging by the amount of backlog they seem to be building up, isn't always the case. They've even cut their factory hours somewhat to reduce the amount of cars they make to stop building up too much stock. Hence you'd think they should be able to supply some for repairs currently as it seems there's actually more parts and cars than there is buyers.

Realistically though, if people on the internet knew how to resolve this joke of a situation, the repair centre wouldn't be full of Tesla's awaiting parts.

Unfortunately the situation kind of speaks for itself. It's crap but unavoidable.
Tip for the future, keep a smoke machine in the frunk and if the accident doesn't seem like it's a write off. Turn that on, the fire brigade will then dose it with a lot of water and now it'll probably be a write off from water damage ;)

Only if they can sell them which judging by the amount of backlog they seem to be building up, isn't always the case. They've even cut their factory hours somewhat to reduce the amount of cars they make to stop building up too much stock. Hence you'd think they should be able to supply some for repairs currently as it seems there's actually more parts and cars than there is buyers.

Sometimes I wonder if this parts shortage is a communication thing. I have read a few threads in the past where someone has been waiting for a part for ages and then eventually speaks to the right person and the part magically arrives.

Sometimes I wonder if this parts shortage is a communication thing. I have read a few threads in the past where someone has been waiting for a part for ages and then eventually speaks to the right person and the part magically arrives.

I recall something like this with our MCU.

Someone had been waiting months for one so when ours failed I was expecting the same. But thankfully not, job done next day. So our MCU was next day but poor soul with same MCU had been waiting months. Thankfully they got theirs not long after. Maybe just coincidence of timing with new supply (we had waited another time on parts to be shipped and delay was week or so not months), but maybe SC not able to get supplies.

The profit on 1 (let alone 2) new Ys is greater than the profit on fixing a broken car. Guess which they'll prioritise for the parts?
is it though? I seem to remember a breakdown on a Fiesta many years ago calculated the price of building a Fiesta out of parts bought from Ford at the Retail price and it was like £100K and that was years ago.
Price of a car is restrained by what other manufactures are selling cars for. But once you have a car the price of the parts is whatever the manufacturer wants to sell them for. I appreciate if they go too high insurance will go up and used prices down and eventually it will affect sales but then so does unavailability of parts. There really is no excuse. If they can get the parts to the factories and the cars from the factories to the UK then they can get the parts to the UK but they probably sacked the team responsible.

AKA the parts are there but you need to kick up a fuss to get one because otherwise service and repairs just isn’t high up enough in the scheme of things.

Hell maybe it’s just a ploy by Tesla to make insurance companies write them off in the end so they can sell you a whole new car instead. Why sell you a couple of parts when they can sell you thousands in the shape of a new car ;)

@holmsey_uk - see my post from a year or so ago. Your situation is very familiar and I managed to crack the problem.