Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK spare-part availability - X in for 3+ months waiting for part

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I dented my X in the snow in Dec - and sadly it was rear left corner so tailgate and left rear fender.

The insurance appointed repair company is having huge issues getting the rear left fender. They have waited for it with NO ETA since Dec - so 3 months.

Anybody else have issues getting parts for their Tesla's?

/k

I ended up phoning Tesla direct when someone went in the back of me and essentially found the parts for the repairer. Whilst this sounds crazy the repairer had no access via the portal they use to see SC maintained local stock. Tesla need to sort this out.

I can only comment on two experiences with my former Model 3.

In Jun 2021 a non-fault accident required the repairer to obtain a new drivers door outer skin. This was delivered within 7 days
In Nov 2022 after valeting damage by a third party, they needed a replacement centre console RH side trim. This was delivered within 4 days.

@Sixer - who did you call?

I'm seriously considering changing away from Tesla to another brand due to spare part availability. We are not talking something with microchips. We are talking a left side panel for a car that just should be on the shelves.

But Tesla logistics in EU seem to be "sub-par" - not a SINGLE order I have put in - have been executed correctly. I ordered a rubber key ring/band - and got sent a Tesla M3 wheel hub cover... I ordered spare wiper - got an empty tube. I ordered a right side wiper - got a left side wiper. All ordered from website - with no mistakes made from my side.

Tesla did rectify it but it took about 6 weeks in total - and then DHL kept ringing the doorbell to collect items already collected....

And absolutely ZERO response to emails (emea...@tesla) apart from issuing new delivery notice or collection notices.

• Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655
By no small coincidence my insurance has gone up by a significant percentage year on year, despite no claims or convictions. This year I'm being quoted twice as much as 3 years ago.

I'm dreading any kind of accident in this car.
Not sure that’s related to the car though.
My home insurance increased by 50% this year.

I’ve more a feeling that due to the current economical situation, companies use the excuse of inflation to hike prices

I’ve more a feeling that due to the current economical situation, companies use the excuse of inflation to hike prices
Quite possibly. All of the insurers I spoke to had suggested "claim values have risen", and a couple mentioned Teslas as being particularly bad for it, but as you say I don't really have any way of disputing it.

Quite possibly. All of the insurers I spoke to had suggested "claim values have risen", and a couple mentioned Teslas as being particularly bad for it, but as you say I don't really have any way of disputing it.
There’s just a shitload more Teslas on the roads these days. So insurers have a good handle on repair bills. Mine at 5 years old cost more to insure than a brand new Porsche. Go figure that one out.

Reactions: Durzel
But Teslas never have accidents because they're do safe..
He said having just got mine back from a walking pace ding that took out bumper, front bra area, undertray and wheel arch soundproofing....
I agree. However, accident still can happen due to the third party's fault, like my case rear ended. My model X is sitting at the repair shop more than four months now, mainly due to missing parts.

Hi,

I dented my X in the snow in Dec - and sadly it was rear left corner so tailgate and left rear fender.

The insurance appointed repair company is having huge issues getting the rear left fender. They have waited for it with NO ETA since Dec - so 3 months.

Anybody else have issues getting parts for their Tesla's?

/k

On 2 occasions when I have needed a part the wait has been 3-6 months, that has been within 6 months of the cars being released over here. I think if they have to order a part from abroad it takes a long time but once they build up stock in local service centres the wait times become shorter, I assume third parties are likely to have to go through some distribution centre rather than the local service centre stock.

Having previously got quotes for an P100D S at half the price of a 3/Y there is something up with the high price of these 2 models, when a more expensive and more powerful car is cheaper at multiple companies

My home insurance renewal was probably 10% more but moving meant it is the same price for comparison.

On 2 occasions when I have needed a part the wait has been 3-6 months, that has been within 6 months of the cars being released over here. I think if they have to order a part from abroad it takes a long time but once they build up stock in local service centres the wait times become shorter, I assume third parties are likely to have to go through some distribution centre rather than the local service centre stock.

Having previously got quotes for an P100D S at half the price of a 3/Y there is something up with the high price of these 2 models, when a more expensive and more powerful car is cheaper at multiple companies

My home insurance renewal was probably 10% more but moving meant it is the same price for comparison.
Mine is an '21 X last one pre-facelift. So should be same parts for rear left fender as the last 4 years...

I agree. However, accident still can happen due to the third party's fault, like my case rear ended. My model X is sitting at the repair shop more than four months now, mainly due to missing parts.
Mine was driveable and a 10 week wait for a slot at nearest approved repairer 75 miles away . Then stopped being driveable when other bits loosened...
I didn't bother with an insurance loaner since I had other cars anyway. In the shop it was just 2 weeks for parts to be sourced, painted and stuck on...

The overall problem is if spare parts are not available - you will start having problems even getting your Tesla insured. Which insurance company want to take the risk of having to provide cover for months and months due to lack of parts?

If Tesla can't make enough parts - they need to open up for 3rd party part makers.

And who in their right mind would purchase a car where you can't get spare parts?

Having worked in a "car parts factory" for cars years ago - even 30 years ago they knew exactly how much to stock within 10-20% - summers/autumn was used to build up extra stock for the winter bumps - and everybody had long Christmas vacations (apart from shipping). If something extraordinary happened select people could get called in to make the missing parts with a days notice.

Tesla logistics and planning could learn a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: Ratch and ringi
And todays call from Garage:

Garage: Great news - we have an ETA for the missing part - (Almost End of April)
Me: uhh - ok - so that mens car might be ready for end of April?
Garage: Yes we think so
Me: ok so this was the last missing part - are you 100% certain no other parts are missing?
Garage: Yes, no, .... ....wait...
Me: uhh, uhh
Garage: Ohh we a missing a tailgate inner lining, let me check....
Me: (facepalms) uhh
Garage: Oh we do not have an ETA on that.
Me: ok :(