Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish Tesla came up with a software fix to make our cars more efficient.

So as they subtract from the capacity they could add efficiency and we'd break even on range.

I don't care so much about preserving performance, if given the choice, I'd take range over performance.

We already have a Range Mode switch, but the biggest thing it does is limit heater power.

But what if we got a "REALLY Range Mode" switch... that shaved off some edges to make less power consumed by the drivetrain?

I know I can adjust my driving habit and try to hypermile but that makes me do all the work. I already have conservative driving habits and can get similar efficiency out of my S that we see in our 3. It would just be nice if the REALLY Range Mode could make the car take on some hypermiling techniques by itself, with limiters in place to enforce things.

Last edited:

So as they subtract from the capacity they could add efficiency and we'd break even on range.

I don't care so much about preserving performance, if given the choice, I'd take range over performance.

We already have a Range Mode switch, but the biggest thing it does is limit heater power.

But what if we got a "REALLY Range Mode" switch... that shaved off some edges to make less power consumed by the drivetrain?

I know I can adjust my driving habit and try to hypermile but that makes me do all the work. I already have conservative driving habits and can get similar efficiency out of my S that we see in our 3. It would just be nice if the REALLY Range Mode could make the car take on some hypermiling techniques by itself, with limiters in place to enforce things.
'Chill mode' limits your performance, so we kind of already have that feature.

For dual motors cars, especially the P85D, that was the Torque Sleep update back in early 2015 that turns the rear DU off while cruising essentially making the dual motor car a front wheel drive. The AC induction motor has no drag essentially so the only drag you're left with that isn't wheels on the ground is the oil in the diff.

Jason did before and after videos using a P85 next to the P85D where both cars are driven together at the same time as a control so you could see the actual difference before and after the update.

I measured the large rear drive unit and it uses 400 Watt idling so torque sleep saves about 400 Watt by switching off the rear motor. Let's assume torque sleep is active 50% of the time, it would save just 1.2 miles for each hour driven. Almost negligible. The small rear drive unit (non performance dual motor cars) uses less power idling so the savings are even less on those cars. In the end Torque sleep is just a marketing thing.

Any impacted owner has installed 2019.28.3 and has noticed any significant amount of range back?

If there's a version designed to address this problem, I'm betting it's 2019.28.2.5.

2019.28.3 has gone primarily to Model 3, with a handful to some 100 X and S.

Meanwhile 2019.28.2.5 has gone only to S85, with a handful of S60-70.

Still odd we haven't heard from anyone with anything higher than 2019.28.2, though. Maybe they're still relatively rare.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
You know how sometimes when you log into your Tesla car app the car audibly makes a clicking noise. I have noticed lately it clicking and I don’t even log into the app must be Tesla getting data from my car it’s the only thing I can think of anyone else notice that?

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
A bit off topic here, but still related re regen and recent SW updated. After May 15th update, I received multiple updates in June.
on topic, re regen:
One of those updates (I don't know which one but could maybe figure it out) seems to have reduced regen in some way. Specifically, I see the car slowing down much less above around 50mph. No yellow dashes, and green line seems to go all the way down, but car is slowing down considerably less than prior to these updates. I believe I also figured out that when car is hot (so not necessarily hot outside, but just car is hot, eg. sitting out or being driven in the sun for a while), the overall regen (I mean slowing down of the car) is much less.
Talked to SC, and got "customer education" resolution where regen is dependent on many factors - I don't doubt that, but it sure behaves different now.

this is a bit off topic re AC:
another one changed how my AC auto mode behaves. Typically I keep it at 74F, and it is comfortable - again this is in AUTO mode with re-circulation of air. After one update in July, suddenly I had to keep it at 70 to be even somewhat comfortable. There was no changes in weather that week or any other parameters (same time, same road, same temp, car parked in garage, etc). I did not make conclusion about this after one 5min ride. This was over multiple days, and am damn certain there was a change in behavior.
Change was again overnight right after SW update. Notified SC, and they pushed another update (no idea now if it was the same or a new update but was within a week of previous one), and miraculously back to 74F was very comfortable. Btw, car is tinted, including the roof.
28.2 seems to have changed that again. now i have to keep it at 70 again just to be somewhat comfortable. SC again pushed the update (at my request), and that didn't "fix it".
Anyone else has similar situation?
I have a "feeling" that after my last update of 2019.28.2 that my regen has changed. I don't have the diagnostic equipment to prove it, but it sure feels like reduced regen to me for a longer number of miles after charging. I thought maybe with this latest software voodoo, I may have been possibly mistaken and was being hypercritical. Now that you have mentioned it, I bring forth my feeling.

It also "seems" that I am using more battery per miles traveled. However it is very hot here right now and all of the cooling that is necessary is obviously responsible for some but it seems like it is eating more battery than normal under the same conditions. I have not been as critical/observant before to make an accurate comparison.

Neither of my last two statements are based on scientific discovery.

Last edited: