Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Revenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this article in the NYT climate forward newsletter and thought, standard EV bashing again:

However, plot twist: it starts out saying the writer had rented Teslas before with no issue, but this time none was available. Due to bad charging availabilty he got stranded in a Volvo EV. So seems like people are learning to tell the difference between Tesla charging and others

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
New revenue stream:
BP is now a customer of Tesla.

Today BP announced a deal in which BP pulse, bp's EV charging business, will acquire ultra-fast charging hardware units from Tesla for $100 million

Here is an article on that: Tesla gets $100 mln US ultra-fast charger order from BP EV charging unit

It appears this $100M contract is part of up to $1B BP is planning to spend.

But it looks like they will be re-branded:

I would assume that they will have at least V4 posts...

AFAIK this is the first time Tesla is selling charger hardware to others! Love it!

I know they have sold MegaPacks used to beef up other networks' chargers. Don't remember whose.

Interesting, last I heard that was just a pilot in a few countries. (Other than they listed the EVgo sites that had a built-in CHAdeMO adapter.)

I wonder if that means it is finally coming to North America.
Presumably these won’t look the same as a Tesla charger to the driver?

I think this is a big deal? We've all suspected that Tesla‘s DC chargers are significantly cheaper than other manufacturers. No wonder other companies like Chargepoint, who also make DC chargers, have tanking stock prices.

Edit: I expect to see many more announcements like this in the coming year. I suspect Tesla was holding off doing this until they started ramping V4.

Yeah, it’s a big deal that the fact it’s coming from Tesla and will be known by nobody outside this tiny TMC thread world.

Just you watch what happens. Praise for other charging networks while either ignoring Tesla’s, Tesla, and the fact it’s Tesla’s invention, hardware, software and standard etc.

And no, I don’t think ‘monopoly’ was or should be a ‘worry’. I’m really, really, really annoyed that the people and company that worked their butts off, that had to take all the ridicule and doubt, are now being effectively ignored and vanished. This is exactly how history gets lost and rewritten.

Absolutely hate (and I rarely use that strong, dirty word) what’s happening.

Not in this case. BP runs their own network, handles their own maintenance and payments.

It's certainly a positive for Tesla, even though TSLA will likely shrug it off. It's also interesting to see how serious BP is about migrating to green energy and away from fossil fuels, even if it is a baby step in that direction.

I wonder if Tesla will upgrade it's supercharger factory for higher output, or even build a larger supercharger factory?

Why? BP has a fully fleshed out network of their own with their own app.

Why not?

If not, BP will pay an upcharge for Tesla to code those chargers to work only with the BP network.

If BP integrate the Tesla API into their network, then, BP customers can also process payment for charging at available Tesla chargers too.

Likewise, people using the Tesla app could go to a BP charger without having to use a unique app. This will bring additional business into their stores from Tesla owners.

It would seem foolish for BP to NOT demand this as part of the deal. (not that Tesla wouldn't just have offered it from the get-go)

Reactions: UncaNed
So if these are Tesla Supercharger v4 chargers and a person has Free Unlimited Supercharging would that car be able to charge for free on these BP devices since they are still Superchargers? 🤔 Sounds like some potential legal questions of what is considered "supercharging". Is it using a device produced by Tesla called a Supercharger or is it using the the Tesla payment network that Telsa operates.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhanson865
So if these are Tesla Supercharger v4 chargers and a person has Free Unlimited Supercharging would that car be able to charge for free on these BP devices since they are still Superchargers? 🤔 Sounds like some potential legal questions of what is considered "supercharging". Is it using a device produced by Tesla called a Supercharger or is it using the the Tesla payment network that Telsa operates.
No. While these are V4 stalls under the hood, they are connected to BP's payment and monitoring network. There is no legal question involved. They are NOT part of Tesla's Supercharger network.

No. While these are V4 stalls under the hood, they are connected to BP's payment and monitoring network. There is no legal question involved. They are NOT part of Tesla's Supercharger network.
Your interpretation is the agreement is with the network, I was saying it could be argued that "Supercharging" is using a high speed charger (Supercharger) made by Tesla.

Before now there was no difference. I can't find the actual legal agreement (here, here) or what Tesla considers the definition of "Supercharging". Please share the agreement of FUSC or what Tesla's definition of Supercharging is if you have it. But it would be confusing for someone to see a charger location in the UI of the vehicle and then arrive to a blue/green v4 Supercharger and plug-and-charge then find out they have to pay 'because it's a different color'.

Maybe Tesla has thought of this and is paying for the charging for the FUSC people 🤷‍♂️ Maybe someone will take Tesla to court over this since even sillier things have been brought up to lawyers (however denied by the judge) 🤷‍♂️ Maybe no one else thinks of this and the topic never comes up again. 🤷‍♂️

1698354788497.png