Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers super-slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and free supercharging for life (for long distance travel) has now come back to haunt us.

What do you want to bet that their stack priority algorithm changes when you mix free for life teslas with pay per kwh teslas? i.e. you start charging at 100+ KW and 3 minutes after you plug in, the guy who's paying per KW shows up and starts. Suddenly you're charge rate plummets as he is now getting priority since he's paying for it.

What do you want to bet that their stack priority algorithm changes when you mix free for life teslas with pay per kwh teslas? i.e. you start charging at 100+ KW and 3 minutes after you plug in, the guy who's paying per KW shows up and starts. Suddenly you're charge rate plummets as he is now getting priority since he's paying for it.
Seems like it's more specific to certain stalls, at least from my experience.

Data point.....Drove from San Luis Obispo to San Diego recently, and stopped to charge at the Oxnard and San Juan Capistrano superchargers. I have a May 2013 Model S with an original "A" battery pack, and its maximum charge has always been in the 90 kW range.

Arrived at Oxnard early in the morning at 4:15 am with 30 miles of range remaining after driving about 125 miles with an ambient temperature of 53 degrees, and my unpaired stall delivered 87 kW from 30 mile SOC to just over 100 miles when it started tapering. Seemed like normal behavior...Charged up to about 175 miles and took off for SJC around 5am. Absolutely no traffic in LA that required us to stop (which you don't see very often).

Arrived at SJC around 730am and there were about 3 other cars there (no one else on my pair). Had about 40 miles of range left and saw the same behavior. Car pulled about 86 kW for quite some time, and we were there until the SOC went up to about 150 miles before we took off for home...

Fastest trip on this route yet, and the SC's were working well to boot...

My wife experienced extremely slow charging in Manteca the other night when she was with her sister(I wasn't there).

Wife just said she's never driving the Tesla again......

At any rate, that was it and she's done with Tesla. She'll never drive it again unless it's short trips where she doesn't have to charge. As a result, we will not end up buying another Tesla even if they end up fixing whatever the hell has been going on because she won't believe and will veto the purchase. Unfortunately, once she's made up her mind on stuff like this, you can't ever change it.
Who's the Boss!

Currently at the Bend supercharger, where it is 57 degrees. My car was at Bachelor for the day, where it was colder, but it was almost a half hour drive to get to the supercharger, it does regenerative charging almost the whole way, so the battery should not be very cold. I am the only Tesla here, and I'm charging at 38kw!!
I switched stalls, thinking it must be the charger (from 1B to 2A). Still 38kw. Says it's gonna take a half 25-30 minutes to go from about 50 to 80%.
I feel like Tesla claims of 20-30 minutes from zero to 80, then another half hour to 100, were very misleading!! Maybe under completedly ideal circumstances, but not often.
With Model 3's not far away, I sure hope Tesla does something soon to fix this, although I doubt they will. They're not building superchargers fast enough, and the superchargers are too slow. I don't think that Model 3 owners are going to be nearly as understanding when they find how long it realistically takes to charge.
Maybe it's just the Bend supercharger, which seems pretty consistently slow. I might see high speeds (120kw) for the first minute or so, but it's then a steady decline towards 40-60. Yesterday, actually had to unplug it and plug in again when I noticed it had dropped all the way to 20kw! Plugging it in again brought the speed up to 60's.
I think Tesla, current owners, and future model 3 owners are all in for a rude awakening when Model 3's are out in significant numbers. I don't think the supercharger network is anywhere near ready for them. Really feel bad for those in CA!!

Currently at the Bend supercharger, where it is 57 degrees. My car was at Bachelor for the day, where it was colder, but it was almost a half hour drive to get to the supercharger, it does regenerative charging almost the whole way, so the battery should not be very cold. I am the only Tesla here, and I'm charging at 38kw!!
I switched stalls, thinking it must be the charger (from 1B to 2A). Still 38kw. Says it's gonna take a half 25-30 minutes to go from about 50 to 80%.
I feel like Tesla claims of 20-30 minutes from zero to 80, then another half hour to 100, were very misleading!! Maybe under completedly ideal circumstances, but not often.
With Model 3's not far away, I sure hope Tesla does something soon to fix this, although I doubt they will. They're not building superchargers fast enough, and the superchargers are too slow. I don't think that Model 3 owners are going to be nearly as understanding when they find how long it realistically takes to charge.
Maybe it's just the Bend supercharger, which seems pretty consistently slow. I might see high speeds (120kw) for the first minute or so, but it's then a steady decline towards 40-60. Yesterday, actually had to unplug it and plug in again when I noticed it had dropped all the way to 20kw! Plugging it in again brought the speed up to 60's.
I think Tesla, current owners, and future model 3 owners are all in for a rude awakening when Model 3's are out in significant numbers. I don't think the supercharger network is anywhere near ready for them. Really feel bad for those in CA!!

Good reason to divest before Model 3 starts getting delivered en-masse. It's not just supercharger specs. It's every damn number that describes what you're paying for. I imagine the class action lawsuits could end Tesla.

Good reason to divest before Model 3 starts getting delivered en-masse. It's not just supercharger specs. It's every damn number that describes what you're paying for. I imagine the class action lawsuits could end Tesla.

If Tesla keeps lying it is toast as soon as real car manufacturers get their EVs out there. This type of behavior won't be tolerated by the Model 3 crowd.

I particularly like how they allow people to pay for full autonomy now, although unlikely that anyone who gets a lease now will ever actually see that feature activated.

Reactions: oktane

Did you try calling the number on the Superchargers (877-798-3752)? They should be made aware.

I don't know when that's going to hit boiling point. So many self-inflicted wounds.

Tesla is working on the Supercharger version 3, which will likely allow full charges in a few minutes (it's been confirmed that the charging rate will be over 350 kW). This should make things significantly better.

Reactions: oktane
Tesla is working on the Supercharger version 3, which will likely allow full charges in a few minutes (it's been confirmed that the charging rate will be over 350 kW). This should make things significantly better.

Just like they are working on self-driving. Also, if you expect it to do anything for existing cars, prepare to be disappointed.

Where has Tesla claimed 20-30 minutes to go from 0 to 80% charge? The supercharging page on the web site has always shown 80% in 40 minutes, first for the 85kW battery and now for the 90kWh battery.

What did Tesla supercharger support tell you when you called?

Reactions: mblakele
Where has Tesla claimed 20-30 minutes to go from 0 to 80% charge? The supercharging page on the web site has always shown 80% in 40 minutes, first for the 85kW battery and now for the 90kWh battery.

Yea, the only claim I've seen was 170 miles of range in 25 minutes but only if you start at near 0% and this is exactly what I get IF there isn't some issue with the supercharger (stack, utility supply, etc).

First long distance trip this weekend. Apr 2013 S85. Utah SC's, Nephi, Beaver, St George and both superchargers in Las Vegas. All seem to max out at 86-87Kw at 20% charge and taper from there pretty quickly. I assume that is normal for my car since they are all the same.

Anyone with a early build getting higher that that?

Made a day trip from North Metro Atlanta to Charlotte Saturday. On the way up we stopped in Greenville and got enough energy to get to Charlotte and back to Greenville for our return trip home. On the way we had 113+kWh charging and on the way home at the same charger stall could barely stay at 70kWh. SOC and temperatures were not hugely different. The only thing really different was the time of day. Things that make you say hmmmm.

Posting a pic for those that haven't seen the new 400kWh per year car SC screen:

IMG_1135.PNG