Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have an actual factory with seasoned employees. Cost of living is a bit cheaper in Normal, Illinois vs Fremont, California.

They will start generating income next year by stamping parts for other OEMs next year. (There is a stamping shortage in the Midwest)

They may also sell battery packs or skateboards to other OEMs.

They have over 600 employees over 3 locations.

LG is behind Tesla/Panasonic but they are not 10 plus years behind.

There is now a much bigger electric vehicle infrastructure vs 8 years ago.

What is their production target for 2021?

Due to system routing, you do not need bidirectional main linse everywhere. Instead you can set direction based on current demands.
Uh, you really don't know anything about transportation design. This is a flat out dumb statement. I think most others can see why. I am not interested in teaching you 101-level stuff which you should have looked up already, so I'll just let you continue to believe whatever you want. I like educating people who are interested in learning, not people who aren't.

They have an actual factory with seasoned employees. Cost of living is a bit cheaper in Normal, Illinois vs Fremont, California.
For those who are wondering, Normal's a pretty nice place to live -- university town -- and it's easy to get to Chicago for the weekend, so they should still be able to attract workers as needed. ( It's not Lordstown, OH.)

For those who are wondering, Normal's a pretty nice place to live -- university town -- and it's easy to get to Chicago for the weekend, so they should still be able to attract workers as needed. ( It's not Lordstown, OH.)

Yeah, I hear the plant is in good shape too. If they get desirable products to market they have the option of selling the company to a big auto company, which would still work out well for Bloomington/Normal.

It exciting that the plant sold to a EV maker.

The Cheeto man-child just tweeted that he is looking into "cutting all GM subsidies, including electric cars".
So I'm assuming he's talking about cutting the federal tax credit? Is that even possible? To deprive a single manufacturer of tax credits before they sunset on their own?
Our president is a total moron.
Oh, and GM stock dropped 3% after Cheeto's tweet. Is he a GM shorter? :p

This may get moved to the Market Politics thread...

It's been established in the courts that the president cannot change a law passed by Congress and the tax credit is a law passed by Congress. If he tries to get rid of it, or part of it unilaterally, he will lose in the courts.

The tax credit will be sunsetting for GM on its own in the next year anyway.

Basically a Magic 8 Ball is more accurate than anything the current president says.

Uh, you really don't know anything about transportation design. This is a flat out dumb statement. I think most others can see why. I am not interested in teaching you 101-level stuff which you should have looked up already, so I'll just let you continue to believe whatever you want. I like educating people who are interested in learning, not people who aren't.

Youch, perhaps I was not clear.
Do you need to be able to go both directions overall? Yes.
Do you need the same number of lines in both directions during the inbound rush or outbound rush? No.
If you have a greater than minimum number of paths, the ratio of paths needed to replace the current system no longer a fixed factor. If it takes 4 tunnels to replace a rail line at peak ridership, that does not mean you need 4 tunnels worth of capacity in the non-dominant direction, you may only need 2 non-dominant, so 6 total, not 8.

With a higher density of lines, and the ability to alter direction via junctions, the current two track per line setup of a subway is not required. A fixed mono-direction system is seen is cities with alternating one way streets. Adaptive lane usage is seen in time of day direction changing lanes of modern urban highways also game day in Ann Arbor or end of day at Cedar Point. (stretching) A further variant being airport runways, they are single direction at a time, with various direction feeders.

Ok, tunnels

due to width constraints, tunnels are naturally one way.
tunnels are not expensive, 'fitting out' tunnels is expensive. Politicians and civil engineers make tunnels very expensive.
a hardrock mining company 'purchases' complete tunnels from contractors from about $1000 per lineal meter, a lineal meter may be 4m x 6m or 5m by 5m. at a guess this is approximately between 10x and 100x cheaper than urban passenger vehicle transport tunnels. this can handle a truck with a 40 tonne payload or 2 toyota landcruisers.
softrock mining company 'coal' pays even less.

cost of tunnel is vary greatly depending on competence of strata and width of tunnel, up to a certain width its mostly based on rock removed, but beyond a certain width, ground competence is dominant, and ground support costs increase are approximately cubic (power of three)

in my country, its illegal to operate petrol vehicles underground, (due to toxicity of carbon monoxide)
diesel or electric is what is used underground, diesel engine power rating is used to determine minimum ventilation requirements.

tldr
tunnels used in mining are real cheap, and can be used beneath city but only by electric vehicles. strictly no petrol, probably no diesel due to ventilation issues. ventilation costs vary greatly depending upon tunnel distance.

Reactions: neroden
  • Informative
Reactions: jbih
The 230 mile range is for the 105 kWh pack that starts at ~$50k.

For $69k you get 135 kWh pack with 300 plus miles of range and motor power upgraded from 300 kW to 562 kW. Probably some differences for the cabin and tech features too.
Where do you see these prices? Every article I've read said that the base model will be $69k before incentives and they make no mention that there is a cheaper price or that they are quoting the price of the mid-size pack.

You later said that Automotive News quoted $69k for the base model, but that they were referring to the 135kwh pack, but the article says nothing other than "base model". Was there a correction on what they meant by the base model?

The Rivian web site doesn't mention price as far as I've seen, and some articles are claiming that final pricing hasn't been announced yet, but they do say that the "base variant to follow" 12 months later.

All sources I'm seeing are calling the 105kwh battery pack the base model and saying it will be priced at $69k (or that final pricing isn't available).

New star in the movie capital –
the Audi e-tron GT concept

2018-11-29 08_59_25-A1814538_overfull.jpg (JPEG-Grafik, 2400 × 1600 Pixel) - Skaliert (57%).png

this is not a tesla competitor from a premium perspective
upload_2018-11-30_12-55-59.png

but it is about a third the price of a tesla M3
upload_2018-11-30_12-57-33.png

so unlike the rest of world and particularly America, going forward, Tesla will find itself relegated to the premium (profitable ?) end of the market. there are multiple suppliers of authentic full range PHEVs and BEVs that are competing in China.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Jeff N
903.jpg

The 230 mile range is for the 105 kWh pack that starts at ~$50k.

For $69k you get 135 kWh pack with 300 plus miles of range and motor power upgraded from 300 kW to 562 kW. Probably some differences for the cabin and tech features too.

The price for the 180 kWh pack has not been released.

Like Tesla, the middle and top spec versions will be made before the base versions.

BTW I have waited ~3 years to post that meme.
Those specs and the observable design would seem... optimistic...

Reactions: Yuri_G