Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon just froze all the MCU1 owners with that tweet. Anyone who had thoughts of trading up for a newer MCU2 car will do nothing now and sit back until he clarifies his tweet.
UH, No.
My thoughts are my own but most MS owners will trade regardless of what is in the MCU.
Just Human Nature
What matters are the new buyers not repeat buyers.
We can further this by offering to let friends try the car and you already know how that will turn out :)

Screenshot_20191011-225148_Facebook.jpg

I’m hoping by next summer we have a clear answer of upgrading MCU 1 to 2. That’s when I plan on finally bringing in my car for the first time just before my warranty expires. Would like to get it at that time along with the FSD computer.
I don't think you'll have to wait that long. I think we'll have an answer sooner than that. :)

I thought this moved to sd card? Significantly easier to replace than soldered down on mobo...

Intuition says it will move to an SD card. Just because MCU2 retains an eMMC, doesn't mean that an upgrade for MCU1 would. Because of the IC display, an upgrade could not be simply a reharnassed MCU2. Not to make the eMMC change along with the CPU change would be folly.
**IF**

They have to replace the IC if they retrofit. The IC on MCU2 is just monitor with an additional speaker. Where <= MCU1 is an actual computer.

Seeing as how I don't actually have to do the design work, I'd just put both ports on the MCU2.5; one for an MCU2 style 2nd display and one that's a network port for MCU1 style IC. To save money and ease integration I'd only put actual connectors on one or the other for factory assembly, but for repair parts I'd put both connectors on the board.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Seeing as how I don't actually have to do the design work, I'd just put both ports on the MCU2.5; one for an MCU2 style 2nd display and one that's a network port for MCU1 style IC. To save money and ease integration I'd only put actual connectors on one or the other for factory assembly, but for repair parts I'd put both connectors on the board.
Yeah, it should be possible with the old IC if it they just have the right connection.

As an analogy, I can take an old computer (old IC) and turn it into a digital picture frame (new IC). I can't take a digital picture frame (new IC) and turn it into a stand-alone computer (old IC).

Does the MCU1 directly connect to the IC computer, or is it through that central network? If the latter, couldn’t this be handled in software, with a retrofitted MCU2 just sending the same data MCU1 sends?

It’s direct over 4 wire fakra. For the mcu1 it’s ethernet for mcu2 they use some 4 wire display port tech from intel.

It not a matter of being able to just physically plug a wire in. There is software/function changes. You talk about connectors like that all that matters is being able to plug it in.

Reactions: StarLog and MP3Mike