Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this were fan art, what exactly would the payoff be for its creator?

1 Fooled everyone into thinking this was from Tesla

2 Fooled everyone into thinking Tesla is going to... do just what we all expect (though, I don't remember ever hearing 5.6 seconds before, another poster wrote that we have).

I guess it's possible someone might go to the trouble of making this just for point 1 above, but, more likely I think this is real.

There are about 1,500 Model S configurations not counting options. If you go to the Model S design studio, there are five things you must select that aren't options (in other words, you must choose one - it's not like you can't get any color, or no motor): color (7 choices), roof & wheels (2 and 4 choices), interior (6 choices) and motor/drivetrain (5 choices). 7*2*4*6*5 = 1,680.

Of course if you add options (premium package, EAP, etc) each of those doubles the choices, so it gets to hundreds of thousands of choices if you include those.

Since Tesla isn't counting options for the Model S (and counting them for Model 3 would easily mean >100 combinations) we can count only things you must configure. Those are probably the same things on the Model S.

So I figure <100 is achieved though something like 5 color options, 2 roofs, 3 wheels, 3 interiors = 5*2*3*3 = 90 combos at launch. And of course P and AWD versions all come later. But <100 does a better job of anti-selling than "soon to be 400 combinations."

Imgur

Last edited:
I'm inclined to think this is legit. That being said the information is a little manipulated to be skewed towards the S. Elon is really pushing this anti-selling. As other said it clearly compares a ludicrous S with a base 3 while clearly leaving out premium features of the 3 like the glass roof clearly seen on the RCs.

If you have been waiting for over a year for the model 3 .... and imagining that it will be the almost as good as the Model S which is 2X more $ ... then you don't have realistic expectations.... I am sure folks will be very happy with the features and performance of the model 3.... it is irrational and not an apples to apples comparison with the model S ... unfortunately M S is the closest vehicle to which you can compare to M3 ... since it will blow away the competition in its segment both ICE and BEVs

Reactions: BAven8068
How long do we think Tesla will be able to resist the additional margin of "premium" options on the 3?

What was the motto at the quarterly call a few quarters ago? "Cash is king?" Day 1 the car is going to be simple, but by the time 200,000 of them come off the line...

Arguably there's better margin (in $ as well as just %) on an optioned-up Model 3 than a low-spec Model S, and Alien Dreadnought 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 need to be funded, along with GF3,4,5,6...

Since Tesla isn't counting options for the Model S (and counting them for Model 3 would easily mean >100 combinations) we can count only things you must configure. Those are probably the same things on the Model S.

I see where you are going with this. Interesting concept, differentiating between configurations and options. So your theory is less than 100 configuration combinations but that does not include option packages. I think you are on to something and I am intrigued. This is nail biting time, the suspense is killing me!

Reactions: Railhawk52
At this point near the end of 2nd quarter I expect them to hire this guy who greets you at the door and says:

Model S is dead sexy- Model 3 is Crrap!
52908035.jpg

Reactions: sitter_k
Tesla is sticking to most of the information they've already put out for now. The details will be held out until the July final production roll out and test drives. The specific 0-60 time was given out at last years roll out. It's the minimum number.

Don't you think it is unethical to upsell Model S with maximum numbers while Model 3 gets minimum numbers?

These better be the launch specs for Model 3 at least (and not just launch base but best at launch), otherwise this is grossly misleading...

I mean this is misleading already as is, because they are implying Model 3 will not get any better than this soon afterwards... but it would be really misleading if even the launch specs in July are superior to this.

That indeed would be upselling Model S under false pretenses...

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal
Tesla knows the Model 3 range. If they are upselling Model S based on a misleading Model 3 figure, that would be unethical. So let's hope Model 3 launch range really is close to 215...
Given this number didn't change from launch (it says "215+" like it always did for Model 3), I don't really see the same issue here if Tesla does end up more than 215 in the launch version.

Given this number didn't change from launch (it says "215+" like it always did for Model 3), I don't really see the same issue here if Tesla does end up more than 215 in the launch version.

Then we must agree to disagree, I guess. It is one thing to stick to published specs, but would be quite another to publish an anti-sell comparison sheet based on misleading specs.

For me upselling Model S based on false Model 3 information would be unethical. After all, this is a new summary leaflet, released 1.5 months before expected Model 3 launch, not just sales people referring to a March 2016 event. So putting info on this that the company knows is false would be unethical as this is obviously done to push Q2 sales and early Q3 is expected to bring more Model 3 info...

If someone buys a base Model S thinking it has 40+ more range, no glass or panoramic roof and better acceleration than a Model 3... and then Model 3 actually were to launch with Model S comparable range, glass roof(s) and better acceleration a couple of weeks later... think of how that looks to that person?

So I am hoping these are accurate reflections of the best at launch. That is the only reasonable expectation IMO.