Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla opening up the Supercharger network in Australia to other brand EVs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla was doing this as "a deliberate choice to enable a more ergonomic plug form factor" I would submit there was a already an existing system that provides that function without the failure mode complexity of AC/DC pin sharing using CHAdeMO for fast charging etc, ie keep AC/DC totally separate in individual ports that are "ergonomic" to use individually.
The completely separate ports for AC and DC charging in CHAdeMO vehicles is incredibly clunky design, though.

Reactions: [Zombie] and moa999
The completely separate ports for AC and DC charging in CHAdeMO vehicles is incredibly clunky design, though.
I guess that would be your opinion when in fact I have found it very easy to use from a users standpoint and from a designer's standpoint looking at failure modes, safety, complexity of the components needed for NACS etc when comparing NACS to CHAdeMO I would take what you call "is incredibly clunky design" any day of the week.;)

So just a visual on why CCS1 vs NACS is just a form factor issue, (CCS2 similar again but different form factor again).

Same five pins, just in a different form/positioning.
So slapping a NACS cable on a non-tesla DC fast charger is a trivial exercise. And it won't give you better reliability. That will still require an improvement in engineering and maintenance schedule.

I agree it won't help reliability that much, except for the fact that there are plenty of reports that you need to "hold the handle up and in" while the negotiation takes place on CCS1! So in that sense, NACS will help for out overseas brothers and sisters.

That being said, while reliability is great on Tesla, it will be interesting to see just how compatibility goes with other vehicles on the supercharger en-masse, Tesla has been dealing with only the perfect compatibility of its own vehicles thus far.

That being said, while reliability is great on Tesla, it will be interesting to see just how compatibility goes with other vehicles on the supercharger en-masse, Tesla has been dealing with only the perfect compatibility of its own vehicles thus far.

Well based on Plugshare comments, MGs often seem to have trouble on Tesla Superchargers. People seem to forget that DC fast charging is not just about hardware but also the software and handshaking/comms between car and stall.

Tesla SCs work so well for Tesla vehicles because Tesla designed both and only had to do testing against its own vehicles. Opening up SCs to other EV makes exposes where either Tesla has not tested against particular cars, or those cars have implemented the standard a slightly different way that causes problems. IoT is not a simple process and stuff will break.

You might think standards should be written so that there is zero ambiguity in how to implement it, and that is the intention, but since they are written by humans, there will always be something that is ambiguous, left unstated, could be interpreted in different ways, or was never thought of.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
MGs seem to have the most trouble with all chargers - AC, DC, Tesla, other manufacturers...
Yesterday I watched Bjorn's 1,000km challenge (I try to watch all of them) for the MG5. He had to abort it, in large part due to charging failures with the MG5. So I think MG's DC charging issues go well beyond interaction with Tesla Superchargers. Link here:

Is this new or I completely missed it from a while ago?

IMG_1286.jpeg

IMG_1287.png

Or look at the Supercharger - Australian Index thread right here, which has them marked.

It's very likely that all the "Drive NSW" grant funded sites will also end up open to all comers as well.
And hopefully every other supercharger soon enough ;-)

Eg, the Runaway Bay Centre in QLD who recently got a supercharger has posted on Facebook that its Tesla's intention to open their chargers by the end of the year Supercharger - Runaway Bay, Qld

Happy days, the Superchargers open to Non-Tesla EVs has increased from the initial 5 sites.

New South Wales​

• Bathurst
  • Berry
  • Blaxland
  • Campbelltown
  • Dubbo
  • Hollydene
  • Knockrow
  • Narooma
  • Tamworth
  • Tenterfield
  • Wollongong

Victoria​

• Bendigo
  • Box Hill
  • Cann River
  • Colac
  • Geelong
  • Moe
  • Mornington
  • Shepparton
  • Warrnambool
  • Yea

Queensland​

• Gympie
  • Rochedale
  • Toowoomba

Western Australia​

• Margaret River
  • Williams

South Australia​

• Clare
  • Mount Gambier
  • Tailem Bend

Australian Capital Territory​

• Tuggeranong

From a quick glance, Campbelltown is 78c/kWh without membership (63c/kWh with membership)

From Tesla's Country Manager for Australia on LinkedIn - Thom Drew on LinkedIn: Tesla opens 30 Superchargers to rival electric cars in Australia

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 11.13.20.png

Last edited:
Looks like they've excluded the most busy chargers - Campbelltown is the only one on the Hume Hwy, and Knockrow the only one on the Pacific Hwy. There's plenty of third-party sites on those routes anyway.

This includes all the open sites with NSW Government funding.

Last edited:
Reactions: moa999
It will be interesting to see what Tesla does.

At the NSW Govt funded V3 sites (currently Blaxland, Campbeltown and Wollongong Figtree), I wouldn't be surprised to see a few V4 (or V3.5 stalls) replace the V3 - to add the supposedly required contactless payment and provide longer cables. You probably only need to do this at two stalls.

I say V3.5 because afaik true V4 also needs a cabinet upgrade to support 800-1000V charging
(Which might only be needed for the CT in the Tesla universe for a while and thus possibly US/Canada only).

Query if such a stall retrofit is possible at the older V2 sites.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and RichardV