Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in the last few days:

TSLA has dropped a few % in a single day because the sky is falling.
TSLA has increased a few % in a single day because Q3 gonna be lit.
TSLA has dropped a few % in a single day because the sky is falling again.

Not sure if I will be peeing my pants out of fear tomorrow, or peeing my pants out of excitement. Alas, either way it looks like I'll be peeing my pants.

Crank up the drama, Wall St.
Let me help you.

diaper-adult.gif

if that is the case Tesla would have been forced to split In a Tesla Cars, Tesla Energy, Tesla Batteries etc. Market cap of 16 trillion is ridiculous for one company that is about the same as the current GDP of China!

GDP's tend to grow over time. China's GDP has increased 10-fold in under 20 years. Where do you think it will be in 10 more years?

if that is the case Tesla would have been forced to split In a Tesla Cars, Tesla Energy, Tesla Batteries etc. Market cap of 16 trillion is ridiculous for one company that is about the same as the current GDP of China!
In 1989 only one company had a market cap over 100B. Today we have several companies valued over 1T.

If 16T is possible I have full faith that Elon and his team have the best chance of achieving these sky-high valuations

Was there some sort of news or FUD that come out 30 mins ago? TSLA was holding up very well and then exactly 30 mins ago, some selling volume started coming in that was not related to macro's going down. TSLA went from beating the Nasdaq pretty nicely (down 1.5% verses 2.5%) to now lower than the Nasdaq.

Selling volume now accelerating.

I think the selling is due to the China energy crisis. Panic selling more or less.

GDP's tend to grow over time. China's GDP has increased 10-fold in under 20 years. Where do you think it will be in 10 more years?

If Xi keeps doing what he's doing, China will for sure get stuck in the middle income trap. Outside of tiny petro-states, no country has ever lifted itself out of it without a certain critical mass of political, social and economic freedom. China is headed completely in the opposite direction. (And it remains to be seen if those petro states will just revert back when the oil money disappears, which I personally think is likely)

It's easy to grow your economy by leaps when your urban labor force is growing by 5% per year, but that low hanging fruit has already been plucked. In order to grow past that you need inclusive, not extractive institutions.

I think the selling is due to the China energy crisis. Panic selling more or less.

No, selling volume specifically came into TSLA 30 mins ago and I didn't see the same spike in any other stocks I track. The China energy crisis was reported yesterday, wouldn't cause a specific spike in selling in just one specific stock today

Was there some sort of news or FUD that come out 30 mins ago? TSLA was holding up very well and then exactly 30 mins ago, some selling volume started coming in that was not related to macro's going down. TSLA went from beating the Nasdaq pretty nicely (down 1.5% verses 2.5%) to now lower than the Nasdaq.

Selling volume now accelerating.
It's likely weak longs panicking on a down day for the macros and automakers, except Ford. Some of those weak longs might have set stop loss limits at $780 and $770, which led to cascades downward. The IRS loves them for realizing taxable gains.

Unhelpful are the fiscal bickerings in Congress, rising treasury yields, and the often weak market at this time of the year. A dip buying opportunity may have begun presenting itself for calmer minds with longer term visions.

Last edited:
It's likely weak longs panicking on a down day for the macros and automakers, except Ford. Some of those weak longs might have set stop loss limits at $780 and $770, which led to cascades downward. Unhelpful are the fiscal bickerings in Congress, rising treasury yields, and the often weak market at this time of the year. A dip buying opportunity may have begun presenting itself for calmer minds.
I just initiated my first bull put spread! What an exciting day. With any luck the sun will come out tomorrow.

Fair point, except -

Tell me, how far ahead is Tesla’s current market valuation than Elon and the board imagined it would be?

Tell me, is Tesla doing now what Elon thought it would be doing at this point? Don’t rush that answer. Think about it carefully. Hint #1: He expected OEMs to pick up the ball and run with it YEARS ago. Those OEMs are still lacing up their shoes and deciding if they even want to play.

The man is a genius and he can imagine a world where rockets are reusable, regular people go to space, sustainable transportation and energy is the norm, humans integrate with AI, and where the bush tribes of Australia and the Amazon tribes can have high speed Internet. But he’s always under estimated the capacity of people and companies to be stupid, selfish, crooked and evil.

This doesn’t turn out the way you think; the way most think. It doesn’t even turn out like Elon thinks, anymore than it already has.

The future market cap evaluations appear nutty and by today’s standards they are nutty. But look around, we live in nutty times. I’ve been wearing a bloody mask to grocery shop for TWO YEARS with no end in sight. Some regular joe blow named Chris, literally the most unremarkable guy next door, just orbited earth. I’ve got faster Internet on a mountain in the middle of nowhere than 100 miles in all directions. Tesla owns its entire business in China. Donald Trump was POTUS. The nutty list goes on and on.

I repeat; this doesn’t end the way you or Elon thinks it does. It’s going to get a whole lot elephant nuttier.
This immediately brought to mind the words of the illustrious Dr. Hunter S. Thompson -

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

This begs the question, would this mean that a HODLer is a pro weirdo? 'Cuz I'd agree that it likely hasn't gotten as weird as it is gonna get.

Last edited:
No, selling volume specifically came into TSLA 30 mins ago and I didn't see the same spike in any other stocks I track. The China energy crisis was reported yesterday, wouldn't cause a specific spike in selling in just one specific stock today
Or it's about the latest article of Fred from Electrek blog "police officer sued Tesla and restaurant for the crash of the drunk driver to police officer car and wantb1 millions or a maxupimsl of 20 millions of $ for this case."

If Xi keeps doing what he's doing, China will for sure get stuck in the middle income trap. Outside of tiny petro-states, no country has ever lifted itself out of it without a certain critical mass of political, social and economic freedom. China is headed completely in the opposite direction. (And it remains to be seen if those petro states will just revert back when the oil money disappears, which I personally think is likely)

It's easy to grow your economy by leaps when your urban labor force is growing by 5% per year, but that low hanging fruit has already been plucked. In order to grow past that you need inclusive, not extractive institutions.

The only reason China hasn't risen out of the upper-middle income category is because there are still millions of rural peasants. It's easy to say they have plucked all the low-hanging fruit but that belief is mostly driven by political idealogues who hate watching China gain influence and wealth and love to predict their downfall. But it's difficult to predict the future (which is exactly what these idealogues are trying to pass off as reasonable analysis).

The fact of the matter is that there are still plenty of rural poor that are under-utilized in the economy and China's GDP is likely to be a LOT higher in 10 years than it is now.

Or it's about the latest article of Fred from Electrek blog "police officer sued Tesla and restaurant for the crash of the drunk driver to police officer car and wantb1 millions or a maxupimsl of 20 millions of $ for this case."
That news actually began circulating yesterday. The unlikely maximum award equates to a 2 cent move in the share price.

NASDAQ futes blood red. Looks like we're going to go through another cycle of Treasury yields media panic. Sigh.
No doubt it is a coincidence that we’re seeing a spike in yields with attendant baying from the press just when some folks in DC are trying to gin up their Tera-dollar spending package while other folks there are arguing that it will stoke ruinous inflation. 😅

On a somber note, if the administration of either (or both) China or the US fumbles its high-wire act— meaning Evergrande and the debt ceiling respectively— there might be, ah, turbulence though I don’t think inflation would be the issue.

Last edited:
The only reason China hasn't risen out of the upper-middle income category is because there are still millions of rural peasants. It's easy to say they have plucked all the low-hanging fruit but that belief is mostly driven by political idealogues who hate watching China gain influence and wealth and love to predict their downfall. But it's difficult to predict the future (which is exactly what these idealogues are trying to pass off as reasonable analysis).

The fact of the matter is that there are still plenty of rural poor that are under-utilized in the economy and China's GDP is likely to be a LOT higher in 10 years than it is now.

China's labor force is already shrinking, and it has already passed the steep part of the urbanization S-curve. (These figures don't include the huge migrant population either, so the real number is higher/worse...) It's urban population, which was growing 5% pa from 1980 to ~2015, will begin shrinking in just a few years. Again, it's easy to grow fast when you have your urban population growing 5% per year, and they only have a Ethiopia-level capital base. When it's shrinking 1-2% pa, it's a different story.

Also, It's not to do with "political idealouges", it's fact. You NEED a certain amount of freedom to advance past the "copy-paste: steel mill" phase of growth. After the USSR hit this phase it stagnated, then declined. There is a REASON there are no dictatorships among the world's most wealthy nations.