Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think he said "hopefully" or "maybe" when he mentioned solar?

That said, given we know they want to expand these products worldwide, local production seemed inevitable anyway.

He did say solar roof in EU next year but again had some kinda "maybe/probably/we hope" kinda disclaimer on it... did same with FSDBeta in EU.

He specifically cited structural/4680 with "volume" production later in the Q&A.

And said initial Berlin production was batteries likely from China-- where 2170 exists but 4680 does not AFAIK.

So that reads 2170 non-struct to start, 4680/structural as volume comes online for the cells.
I think he said "hopefully" or "maybe" when he mentioned solar? - Elon must be maturing...he's not using "definitely' anymore 🤣 🤣

Reactions: hobbes
Woke hit piece targeting the opinion of women…sent to me by my wife.

I know we don’t like to post such pieces here but I think it’s important to understand the ways in which Tesla/Elon’s opponents will try to slow the mission. I believe most of them (the journalists that put these pieces together) do not even realize how they are being manipulated.

Just think about the media reaction if the outburst between Ms. Gonzales and Musk had been reversed. Musk yelling at Lorena on Twitter, "F*** Lorena". It won't stop with just accusing him as sexist, they will be calling for his arrest for sexual harassment.

If Musk expresses his frustration, displeasure or anger against anyone - and if that person happens to be a women, then media taints it as 'sexual harassment'.

But do we honestly have to see beyond the tittle?! (In this case). There’s no evidence Elon is forcing anyone to move to Austin and that would be counter to: We will always try and do the right thing.

No we don’t. But I personally found it interesting and informative that his wealth, the move to Texas/aka anti-abortion land, and the 137M verdict was woven together in a timely article targeting readers of VF, and how quickly the message reached my wife, who is not a consumer of all things Tesla or other places where the battle has been waged (fin media, tech media etc). It subconsciously and instantaneously shaped her opinion I’m sad to say, and she pushed back against one of my usual tirades on media hit pieces.

Remember that attorney I mentioned a day or two ago in a pretty forgettable post? And I wondered how this person could be so passionately against Tesla while possessing so little relevant information. Well, this person is much more likely to read an article from a source like this and form a very strong - albeit uninformed -opinion. Some of this goes back to the points @Sancho was making about left-leaning journalism. Not all of it is explicitly bought. Rather it is easy to get that segment of the population riled up about certain hot-button issues and I think this is well-understood by the PR firms acting on behalf of fossil/legacy interests.

Who do you think is going to be a large part of propelling Model Y to be the best-selling vehicle?

Did CATL already made some lines in their existing factories, while they build the new one in Shanghai?

We know CATL is building 4680 lines, but I don't believe they will be operational for some time yet. I think it's reasonable to believe Berlin will start production with 2170's and migrate sometime next year to 4680's. while it does sound like Austin will start production with 4680's from the Kato battery line.

I think he said "hopefully" or "maybe" when he mentioned solar?

That said, given we know they want to expand these products worldwide, local production seemed inevitable anyway.

He did say solar roof in EU next year but again had some kinda "maybe/probably/we hope" kinda disclaimer on it... did same with FSDBeta in EU.

He specifically cited structural/4680 with "volume" production later in the Q&A.

And said initial Berlin production was batteries likely from China-- where 2170 exists but 4680 does not AFAIK.

So that reads 2170 non-struct to start, 4680/structural as volume comes online for the cells.
He specifically cited what what happen in berlin at volume production, including front casting which has already happend in China/Fremont no?

We know CATL is building 4680 lines, but I don't believe they will be operational for some time yet. I think it's reasonable to believe Berlin will start production with 2170's and migrate sometime next year to 4680's. while it does sound like Austin will start production with 4680's from the Kato battery line.
And Silent Ludicrosy’s photo set taken at the Gigafest shows that they are ready to use either bty form factor, as available.

View attachment 719516View attachment 719517
The 4680 and 2170 bodies in white look identical to me. Edit: except for the seat rail.

Most interesting news from Elon's Giga Berlin address, Tesla will have is own BEER :D - Edit - see also below re 4680
Note - unless you're interested in Elon's efforts to speak German, skip to 20 mins when he returns to plain ole English

Tesla.Berlin.beer.jpg

Edit: actually, not the only interesting news.. the 4680's do not use wires anymore - not sure if this extends to the rest of the cabling.
Tesla.Berlin.4680.no.wire.jpg

Last edited:
As I've been anxiously awaiting 10.2, I thought I'd visit the FSD/autonomy portion of the forum for more detail on the progress and intelligent discussion. What I found was just a cesspool of whiny, entitled morons pissed off over a few day delay, oblivious to the fact that Tesla employees are working their butts off throughout the weekend to deliver a safe, high quality product to them. Here's one example, with his name removed so that he never finds his way over here.

It made me realize that the investor forum is a unique part of TMC in that it attracts people that as opposed to just being owners of the product, are also owners in the company and most importantly believers in the mission as well. This drives much more intelligent discussion than what exists in other parts of this site.

TLDR- Thanks to all of you in this investor forum for not being idiots.
The FSD/Autonomous Driving portion of this forum is by far the most toxic.

Last edited:
One MILLION times this! I was a very busy, stressed out surgeon. Then our seemingly happy, well adjusted, straight A, 16 year old son took his own life two years ago. Nobody saw it coming. This has devastated our entire family. My wife, who was the most incredible stay-at-home mom to our children, struggles every day to find happiness now, and is "sad every minute of every day." Thanks to TSLA, I was able to retire a year later and focus on my wife and other children, one of which barely made it and still struggles after losing his brother (all hands on deck to keep him alive). I don't know if things would have been different had I chosen a different career (it was probably bad wiring in his brain and nothing we did - pretty much the perfect family on paper), but the "what ifs" never go away. Spend time with the people you love, and try not to let the stress of life and money get in the way. Your life can change in an instant.

P.S. - To not clog this thread, use emojis or private message if you want to comment on this.

It must have taken a lot to post that. It says something about this forum that you felt able to do so. It really moved me. It makes you realise that behind every post related to the enjoyment of investing in this great company, there are real people, with real problems. Today is my birthday and I went out to lunch with my daughters. It was a great day and the three of us had lots of fun, but I left my wife at home because she has cancer, unable to eat normally, and feeding through a tube. I can't imagine how it must be to go through what has happened to your family. There is nothing I can say other than I send my love.

Holes are for the structural epoxy to flow through.
You can see an adhered plastic piece at each sets of cell contact. This provides positive separation and keeps all bus bars in alignment post stamping.

Thanks.

The epoxy fill is probably slowest/critical path in the whole process.

I am used to nozzles that fill from the bottom to make sure are no air bubbles. They likely use a bed of nails like set of nozzles to fill it as fast as possible. That explains the holes.

Thanks again.

Woke hit piece targeting the opinion of women…sent to me by my wife.

I know we don’t like to post such pieces here but I think it’s important to understand the ways in which Tesla/Elon’s opponents will try to slow the mission. I believe most of them (the journalists that put these pieces together) do not even realize how they are being manipulated.

Please consider telling your wife that the Texas legislature only meets once every 2 years.

The 6 weeks rule was from when the legislature met early this year (2021) and had nothing to do with the gigantic investment that Tesla had already made in Texas based on the rules in 2019.

The factory was mostly built during the time between legislative sessions. [they have, in a political master stroke, been dragging their feet to let the Germans save face by starting first].

Please consider telling your wife that the Texas legislature only meets once every 2 years.

The 6 weeks rule was from when the legislature met early this year (2021) and had nothing to do with the gigantic investment that Tesla had already made in Texas based on the rules in 2019.

The factory was mostly built during the time between legislative sessions. [they have, in a political master stroke, been dragging their feet to let the Germans save face by starting first].

You are certainly correct. I think what I am trying to poorly convey is that some FUD is not about facts (the lies are easy to pick apart, especially for folks like us), but about sentiment. If an author appears to be outraged, snarkily disgusted, etc. it has an effect that transfers to readers independently of the content.