Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No structural battery pack and no giga castings from this schematic.

That's disappointing, but too drastic a re-design might have really hindered production in the near term, so it might be for the best. Still makes me wonder if margins on Highland M3 will be very close to what the current M3 margins are? Slightly less due to no stalks and other optimizations, but maybe more due to an additional screen, vented seats, and RGB lighting? Could be a wash to only slightly different.

Again, a bit disappointing to me strictly from an investor point of view.

Reactions: cusetownusa

Post from Tesla Europe on X:

Upgraded Model 3 launching today

Built for distance
Go up to 629km on a single charge with updated exterior styling optimized for max aerodynamics

Improved ride comfort
More refined & relaxed ride quality, thanks to a combination of stiffer body & updated suspension tuning.

Two new colors
Ultra Red & Stealth Grey. Designed to change with viewing angle & lighting.

Redesigned interior
More sophisticated materials, ventilated seats & customizable ambient lighting.

Rear touchscreen for passengers in the back to control climate & enjoy entertainment.

Center touchscreen now has smaller bezels, giving you more useable screen space. Screen is brighter, higher contrast & more responsive.

More comfortable rear seats.

Better sound system
Up to 17 speakers, dual subwoofers & dual amplifiers. Obviously goes to 11.

Super quiet cabin
360º acoustic glass ensures silence inside the cabin no matter what’s happening around you.

Also, significantly less road & wind noise.

Available now in Europe & the Middle East

Improved ride comfort
More refined & relaxed ride quality, thanks to a combination of stiffer body & updated suspension tuning.

Confirms at least some real structural improvements, if we're not getting gigacastings. Again, can't wait to get the real info from a Munro teardown. But that will likely be many months.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Ugh Tesla’s strategy when it comes to FSD is so frustrating.

Keep the buy price at $15k, drop the monthly subscription to $149 or even $99.

Much healthier long term to get auto consumers used to subscribing for FSD and services in general.

Stock is gonna be interesting tomorrow.

Positive - Highland announcement with price increase

Negative - No US Highland for 2023, big price cuts S/X in China, FSD price cuts

I’m guessing Fremont just isn’t going to produce any model 3’s for Q4 because there’s no way they could sell a non Higland 3 now. I could realistically see TSLA taking a dump tomorrow

Ugh Tesla’s strategy when it comes to FSD is so frustrating.

Keep the buy price at $15k, drop the monthly subscription to $149 or even $99.

Much healthier long term to get auto consumers used to subscribing for FSD and services in general.

Stock is gonna be interesting tomorrow.

Positive - Highland announcement with price increase

Negative - No US Highland for 2023, big price cuts S/X in China, FSD price cuts

I’m guessing Fremont just isn’t going to produce any model 3’s for Q4 because there’s no way they could sell a non Higland 3 now. I could realistically see TSLA taking a dump tomorrow

The Model 3/Y is the best volume car on the market. What are people going to do? Move to China for 4 months and, then, move back just to get a Highland Model 3?

More changes in North America:

Model S and X standard range discontinued.

Model S now starts at $74,990
Model X now starts at $79,990 and qualifies for $7500 federal tax credit in the US. Model X tow package now included in that price.

As mentioned above, all colors for S&X are now included at no extra charge.

Source: Tesla.com Design Center
Wth lol. Way to overshadow your own product announcement Tesla. 🥴😅🙄

TSLA definitely dumping tomorrow

I don't know about that, it depends on how urgently someone wants or needs are car, how aware of Highland they are, and how Tesla sets prices.

I did think that any excess Model 3 inventory this year could simply be put in the rental car program in preparation for Robotaxis.

I am sure there are logical reasons for everything they are doing.

Perhaps they can't get parts for Highland in the North America and didn't want to delay Highland for everywhere else?

The share price can tend to overreact to perceived short term bad news.

Apparently 50% of the parts in the car are new, IMO the new parts are the key to the cost reductions, and it only takes one unlucky part to not be available to stop production. Whether or not someone dropped the ball is hard to say.

If it isn't parts it might be castings, and Giga-presses if these were used, which it appears they are not.

Or it might be regulatory approvals, particularly if the car has new technology.

EDIT: Maybe there are going to shutdown the Fremont line in Q4 and do a more extensive refresh which will also include the Chinese Highland changes. If they want to move to front and rear castings, perhaps that is the only way to do it.

Last edited: