Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This translates in:
305 km range (new version is higher)
Top speed: 130 km/h
If it costs 18'500 € without incentives, it could easily costs around 10'000 euro with incentives.
Quite a good deal if you ask me: quality/price will be hard to beat by Tesla (meaning that Tesla will easily beat the specs, but not the price).
As a runabout town, second car that would be excellent...

Given the fuel and maintenance savings, can the Semi be competitive even if it has a shorter service life?
ICE: $0.50/mile (8 MPG, $4.00 gal)
EV: $0.33/mile (2kWh/ mile @ $16.5 kWh)
$0.17/mile savings
500k miles * 0.17 = $85k
500k/20k oil change * $200 = $5k
$90k savings at 500k
In frame rebuild: $15k
$105k savings per additional 500k
$195k savings at 1 million miles
$405k saved at 2 million miles (3 rebuilds)

Wear items:
1MWh pack < $100k
Three motors < $20k
This calculation works fine for fleets, and it will be a while before any individual owner operators will purchase these because they will need a Megacharging network (So will some fleets.)

Reactions: GSP and mongo
BYD is not making money on these. They are being that China Wok #1 which killed the pricing power of Chinese food vs any other cuisine type, now being cheaper than MCD.

Hence this is why they are not interested in the US market most likely because people here are not interested in slow low quality cars.

It's possible BYD has already calculated legacy ICE market will die in the US without their help. And partially because Tesla will crush it for them... to compete another day in the future when the field has leveled out some. And if legacy can't sell in China, maybe that's game over all by itself.

Isn't there a Big Short coming on legacy soon, maybe even end of this year? Oh, I know... they'll just keep buying back shares? 🤣

I think this Waymo/SFO ride-along makes three things abundantly clear for the upcoming Robotaxi Network:
  1. NAV data/Maps needs to be improved, focusing on pick-up / drop-off locations,
  2. providing Interactive Maps will greatly improve the user-experience, and
  3. a Large-Language Model (LLM) will be required as the passenger needs/expects to be able to speak to the operator (whether human, or robot)
TV journalist documents wild ride inside Waymo self-driving car in San Francisco | ABC7 News Bay Area (Jun 29, 2023)

BTW, this wasn't a "wild ride" per ABC's clickbait title, but it was uncomfortable and inconvenient. This fare included two remote human interventions, including a re-route which ultimately brought the car back to the same (wrong) destination.

Not acceptable service just yet, IMO.

Figure.Ai dropping some impressive demo videos of their robot doing autonomous tasks. Not a surprise they recently got buy in from a lot of high profile investors.

No idea who is further ahead, Tesla or Figure, but both are showcasing some great stuff, and I am guessing competing for the same talent (Figure probably has the advantage their somewhat with stock options likely with far higher return potential)

Figure.Ai dropping some impressive demo videos of their robot doing autonomous tasks. Not a surprise they recently got buy in from a lot of high profile investors.

No idea who is further ahead, Tesla or Figure, but both are showcasing some great stuff, and I am guessing competing for the same talent (Figure probably has the advantage their somewhat with stock options likely with far higher return potential)

Interesting. I found its little hand motions as it sees the bin off rather adorable (honestly, not being sarcastic).

As with electric cars, there will be many metrics to evaluate "success" for humanoid robots. I think the most important are, in no particular order, the bot's capabilities, price, manufacturability and the actual production goals/numbers.

It doesn't matter much if Company A designs a bot with more capabilities than Company B, if A's bot is 10x the price or they only plan to make dozens or even hundreds per year. Even if Company A makes a bot that comes in at half the price of Company B, it still won't matter if A doesn't plan on producing big numbers.

We all know the Chevy Bolt beat the Model 3 to market, with roughly similar range, and a lower price...but Chevy never planned to make very many. The fact that Tesla actually planned and built the factories to make 100's of thousands per year is a big reason why the Model 3 and later the Model Y outsold the Chevy, even at a higher price.

Similarly, we know one of Tesla's stated goals with Optimus is to design every part so it can be mass manufactured cheaply. Tesla is already planning for the price, manufacturabilty, and mass production, while working on developing capabilities. Any other company also focusing on all of those at least has a chance of mass market success.

This translates in:
305 km range (new version is higher)
Top speed: 130 km/h
If it costs 18'500 € without incentives, it could easily costs around 10'000 euro with incentives.
Quite a good deal if you ask me: quality/price will be hard to beat by Tesla (meaning that Tesla will easily beat the specs, but not the price).
Not if you want to get anywhere on this side of the ocean. I’d have to push it up my mountain or tow it with my CT. And nobody here is taking it on a highway across the midwest when everyone is already driving faster than its top speed.

It’ll definitely work for you and your fellow compadres. In cities and on tight roadways. It’ll never be a car for NA - or the Autobahn.

I, personally, wouldn’t get in a vehicle that small. They make bears and moose bigger than it and with more horsepower. And I’m pretty sure both could beat the 0-60 time. Zero use for me, but BYD should definitely try and sell as many as possible.

Reactions: Thumper and capster

From what has been made public knowledge, it almost seems to me like Figure AI might be ahead of Tesla Optimus with regards to the AI, but Optimus is ahead with regards to the hardware. Optimus might be doing more practical work than we've been shown, that's a possibility.

It is pretty clear both Tesla and Figure AI are close to each other in progress though, and both are improving very quickly. When it comes time to manufacture the humanoids Tesla will have a massive advantage over everyone else. Thankfully this new humanoid market will have room for many manufacturers, as once the ball starts rolling the demand will be unlimited for a very long time.

I think this Waymo/SFO ride-along makes three things abundantly clear for the upcoming Robotaxi Network:
  1. NAV data/Maps needs to be improved, focusing on pick-up / drop-off locations,
  2. providing Interactive Maps will greatly improve the user-experience, and
  3. a Large-Language Model (LLM) will be required as the passenger needs/expects to be able to speak to the operator (whether human, or robot)
TV journalist documents wild ride inside Waymo self-driving car in San Francisco | ABC7 News Bay Area (Jun 29, 2023)

BTW, this wasn't a "wild ride" per ABC's clickbait title, but it was uncomfortable and inconvenient. This fare included two remote human interventions, including a re-route which ultimately brought the car back to the same (wrong) destination.

Not acceptable service just yet, IMO.
Ha, for fun, I think I know what happened at that green light. This is possibly a LIDAR and/or Camera obstruction. There's a utility power line in front of the light. I bet there was a stopped car in front just when it turned green.

1708990519801.png

Meanwhile, the screen on the dash shows a yellow light. Confused what (or where) it was, default might be yellow. The image matches the scene, so that's likely a live rendering. The light also appears close to the vehicle - on this side of the street.

Ya, this is pretty bad IMO, considering it's all pre-mapped out and the light looks just fine in the shot.

1708990153524.png

What is Creep for the Daily Double?

"ERCOT certifies Giga Texas Megapack site; Battery Cathode Plant is Ready." 26 Feb 2024 Giga Texas Update (09:35AM) | Joe Tegtmeyer (cued to 10:58)

New cathode materials could support an increase in 4680 cell production, as well as a step-wise improvement in cell energy density. The precence of of "cell test lab" on the NE corner means that a pipeline of new chemistry improvements is planned. Higher'n'Faster. :D

Joe also plans to document Tesla's Lithium refinery progress in Corpus Christi sometime during March (pending Starship IFT3 announcement).

Cheers!

The company that has all the supply chain lined up, machines built to build parts that doesn't exist, and has an assembly line that can churn these by the hundreds of thousands while pricing it at something affordable with a 25%+ gross margin. Prototypes are easy...

"ERCOT certifies Giga Texas Megapack site; Battery Cathode Plant is Ready." 26 Feb 2024 Giga Texas Update (09:35AM) | Joe Tegtmeyer (cued to 10:58)

New cathode materials could support an increase in 4680 cell production, as well as a step-wise improvement in cell energy density. The precence of of "cell test lab" on the NE corner means that a pipeline of new chemistry improvements is planned. Higher'n'Faster. :D

Joe also plans to document Tesla's Lithium refinery progress in Corpus Christi sometime during March (pending Starship IFT3 announcement).

Cheers!
Also 26:24 - "We will soon see an Armada of Cybertrucks" - so boat mode confirmed.. :)

Interesting. I found its little hand motions as it sees the bin off rather adorable (honestly, not being sarcastic).

As with electric cars, there will be many metrics to evaluate "success" for humanoid robots. I think the most important are, in no particular order, the bot's capabilities, price, manufacturability and the actual production goals/numbers.

It doesn't matter much if Company A designs a bot with more capabilities than Company B, if A's bot is 10x the price or they only plan to make dozens or even hundreds per year. Even if Company A makes a bot that comes in at half the price of Company B, it still won't matter if A doesn't plan on producing big numbers.

We all know the Chevy Bolt beat the Model 3 to market, with roughly similar range, and a lower price...but Chevy never planned to make very many. The fact that Tesla actually planned and built the factories to make 100's of thousands per year is a big reason why the Model 3 and later the Model Y outsold the Chevy, even at a higher price.

Similarly, we know one of Tesla's stated goals with Optimus is to design every part so it can be mass manufactured cheaply. Tesla is already planning for the price, manufacturabilty, and mass production, while working on developing capabilities. Any other company also focusing on all of those at least has a chance of mass market success.
I figured factories could network a swarm of robots and just do loops or who knows initially so they're not the factory constraint. Which is how Tesla's Unboxed design could facilitate this approach even further with it's potential 360 degree access to the build.

Imagine... some robots, at work together for a few weeks. Then they get a speed upgrade and have to let one of their own go. The factory asks for their decision as they all look at the oldest model. But then the old one kicks one of 'em right in the pack-age, falls over, and the old man gets to keep his job another day.

Hey, this is all about to get real! How exciting to watch. Come-on Optimus!!! Would love a race, like the old car days in racing. No practice rounds... Tesla should challenge the rivals. Bot to bot races, laundry folding, energy efficiency or limits. Have the Bot-Hercules round, we could invite Boston Dynamics for some show of strength and acrobatics.

Step aside kids, there's a new game in town with the Humanoids. The show's called "Robot Island", solar powered, cameras on every tree, no humans once it starts.

this is great news .. it will make Tesla move faster as the competition will be coming...not :p ... based on the the list of investors ... looks like another Rivian in the making

Last edited:

A very informative article by Warren Relich

This guy is a serial founder , Archer Aviation which has failed to deliver since IPO , stock price halved

His management team are not engineers , just smooth talkers and 90 % Archer Aviation departures , he might be similar to Trevor M….

A very informative article by Warren Relich

This guy is a serial founder , Archer Aviation which has failed to deliver since IPO , stock price halved

His management team are not engineers , just smooth talkers and 90 % Archer Aviation departures , he might be similar to Trevor M….

I don't know about that. BMW will probably have the Figure 01 working the line before Tesla does with Optimus from the looks of things.