Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He should set an ultimatum: pull the plug on Gigafactory 4 if the issue is not resolved by end of the week. No more delays by fake environmentalist groups, this is totally ridiculous.

Maybe he should just announce another site in say France and make it totally clear the first to the finish line will get further developments and end up being the big one, the laggard will not get as many jobs.
Scrap an entire plan for a gigafactory because of a couple weeks delay in clearing the land? Sounds ridiculous. Wouldn’t scrapping this location and starting due diligence on another location, in say France, take 12 months at least?

Still feels weird to be in bizzaro land where a steady $800 price is boring. Will we feel this same way when it's $5k?
On a related note, yesterday was the first time I'd seen S3X here in the UK. A Model S, Model 3 and Model X all on the same day (on a short trip to town, not near a Supercharger).
So what they used to say about Americans being "overpaid, over S3Xed, and over here" isn't true? :D

Maybe he should just announce another site in say France and make it totally clear the first to the finish line will get further developments and end up being the big one, the laggard will not get as many jobs.

The Germans will resolve this. They are bureaucratic (speaking from experience, I do business there) but not suicidal. Reason will prevail.

agree Germany was a risky location based on incumbents and not invented here ... i hope Musk has a plan B and be ready to pull the trigger ... i am sure he does as the GF4 is too important

I see a lot of people over-reacting to the G4 "environmental" activism. This is normal stuff, rest assured the G4 will get built in the exact spot as planned, it just might take a week to a few months longer. This is minor stuff and laws are laws and they will be followed. In the end, there will be a giant new GF4 cranking out thousands of the best cars in the world.

Every EU country has it's risks, the Germans are pragmatic people, they understand the risks of AGW and they have a lot of expertise in giant machines, automation, etc. I think Germany was an EXCELLENT choice for the future of Tesla and the little bit of noise we have seen to date doesn't make me doubt that one bit, not even a tiny bit.

He should set an ultimatum: pull the plug on Gigafactory 4 if the issue is not resolved by end of the week. No more delays by fake environmentalist groups, this is totally ridiculous.

One reason I am long TSLA is that I believe Elon Musk has the necessary negotiation skills.

Recent CV entry: GF3 is first first auto factory in China owned by a foreign company.

If anyone can get GF4 going ASAP then it is Tesla w. Elon Musk.

Yes, you can call my a fanboy now...

Whether or not they think Tesla is a flash in the pan (which seems doubtful considering Panasonic's partnership) is irrelevant to their interest [or, rather, the lack thereof] in Maxwell -- just last year -- which is the entire point. They have no vision.
Bear in mind that Panasonic wasn't doing that well before last year, so they likely thought that Panasonic would go away (or at least jettison it's battery division).

Gates is a arrogant multi-billionaire he thinks we can engineer with only technical solutions our way out of climate change... sold all my MSFT stock last year to buy Tesla...not going to waste valuable minutes watching Gates pontificate... he is just jealous of Musk simple as that
At which price did you get out of MSFT? They went from 35 to ~180 in the last 5 years....
Even last year ~115 to 180 still a move that might be questionable.
He is a Porsche fan and given VW.OS relationship, would he drive anything else? Plus, how often does he actually drive?
So before bashing, I'd ask, did i donate billions to causes in Africa, did i invest millions in carbon sequestration technologies?
Could he have backed up the EV movement early - absolutely. Did you notice that the company he founded made a commitment to go carbon negative?

The Germans will resolve this. They are bureaucratic (speaking from experience, I do business there) but not suicidal. Reason will prevail.

Yes, Germany is a pretty well functioning society. As for Grünheide, Tesla respect the law and immediately reacted to the court order and stopped the logging. Similarly, the authorities promptly removed the trespassers, to the surprise of no one:
Lars Kr. Lundin on Twitter

On a related note, yesterday was the first time I'd seen S3X here in the UK. A Model S, Model 3 and Model X all on the same day (on a short trip to town, not near a Supercharger).

Funny, just this weekend I thought to myself that it's become too easy to count several Teslas on every short trip I take around here, and that I should start counting complete sets of all three models. Which I did on three separate trips, yesterday. At least it'll get a little more interesting for the first few months of Y production.

Reactions: EVMeister
Regardless, I’ll bet parking lots up in Redmond are full of Tesla’s.
They sure are. Issaquah supercharger has a line and MSFT parking lot chargers have a line too, progessively of teslas. A model s or x is a standard issue for higher management, while 3 is typical for mid managers. Like TSLA, MSFT had a big run up in stock price, and a lot of it was spent on Teslas. It would be funny to see how much of a sales spike is in q4 in Puget sound area (stock grant time)...

Advertising for the purpose of paying off publishers to tailor their news to your benefit is disgusting. It's a form of bribery/extortion. Elon Musk is a very principled person and does not believe in partaking in such corruption of one of the most important tools democracy has, and one that we are quickly losing, free, fair and unbiased news. By buying ads for the benefit you propose, to bias the media coverage to favor Tesla, or to stop them from unfavorable coverage, Tesla would be enabling and extending their distasteful monetization of sensational, biased and unfair news. It really is bribery/extortion. By refusing to participate, while simultaneously bankrupting those who continue to enable it, Elon is simultaneously standing up for his ideals and making the world a better place.

You have mistaken a noble quality of those who support Tesla in this (a refusal to participate in bribery) with a shameful quality (stubbornness). Learning the difference between the two (or at least biting your tongue before attacking those of us who are more principled) would serve you well.

Because the world needs more people who are willing to stand up to their ideals. While there are times to compromise on your ideals to achieve success in more important goals, I don't see that as being necessary for this situation.
Speaking only for myself -
I do admit that there’s clearly a “protection racket” and eager participants utilizing it and enjoying the “primary benefit.”
I do not feel it is possible at this point for Tesla to get the same benefit for any reasonable level of Protection Payments (the benefit, being unwritten, would be unenforceable) nor that Musk would be agreeable enough with paying-off the thugs/bullies. Elon Musk may be quite stubborn in dealings with bullies, having dealt with them all his life.

The value of extortion, you mean?

absolutely. you play by the rules as written, not by how you WISH they were written. to do otherwise is only punishing yourself out of anger at someone else. it's fundamentally irrational.

Tesla wants to succeed in transitioning the world to sustainable transportation.

Advertising would help that mission, period.

Any argument to the contrary is emotion-based ("wahhh i dont want Tesla to give money to mean old magazines") or deeply ignorant of how advertising works ("i mistakenly believe i don't pay attention to ads, therefore ads aren't effective").

absolutely. you play by the rules as written, not by how you WISH they were written. to do otherwise is only punishing yourself out of anger at someone else. it's fundamentally irrational.

Tesla wants to succeed in transitioning the world to sustainable transportation.

Advertising would help that mission, period.

Any argument to the contrary is emotion-based ("wahhh i dont want Tesla to give money to mean old magazines") or deeply ignorant of how advertising works ("i mistakenly believe i don't pay attention to ads, therefore ads aren't effective").
Why would you do it if you don't have a demand problem and can't build cars&batteries fast enough?