Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon on Twitter:

"Tentative date for Tesla Shareholder Meeting & Battery Day is Sept 15. Will include tour of cell production system." 9:11 PM (PDT) Jun 21, 2020

Tesla Owners East Bay Replying to @elonmusk
"So definitely in Fremont?"

Elon Musk
"Yes"

Lol, nailed it: (#167361 on May 29, 2020) :p

Cheers!

With September Plaid Model S/X is back in the hunt... if your upgrading, I can use a 2nd hand, low mileage, time machine :)

Will include tour of cell production system in Fremont

So now, the obvious countermove from the shortzes and FUDsters will be to flood the financial media with false rumors that 3/Y bty cell/packs will be produced in Fremont (in a vain attempt to osborne 3/Y). This is FALSE.

Bty cells and packs will CONTINUE to be produced at GF1/Sparks, NV because of SCALE. There is no way to replace 35 GWh/yr of pack production for 3/Y with a pilot bty line in Fremont.

That pilot line will be for Plaid S/X, currently with production around ~75K/yr production for Model S/X. I also think that eventually the use of 18650 cells with the current 100KWh S/X packs will be retired.

Look for an approx. 120-130 KWh pack for Plaid, so that's max demand of approx 9-10 GWh/yr production. When Roadster is added at 5K/yr with a 200KWh pack, that only adds another 1 GWh/yr to demand.

IMHO, the big demand for NewTech Tesla cell/packs will come from Cybertruck, which will be built at a new plant in Texas starting in Q42021.

I think the Semi bty contract is a done deal with Panasonic, and 2170 cells/packs for it will come from GF1 Sparks as part of the pricing/delivery agreement which was signed with Tesla on June 10, 2020.

Cheers!

Last edited:
What do you think about a wrap on the CT as Elon mentioned? I kind of like a more rugged look, but a matte black or charcoal might look good, too. Agree, lots of options.

The SS of the Cybertruck will take a wrap just as well as a painted vehicle but the wrap will not function as protection as it will on paint because the SS harder and more durable than any wrap. If I wanted a flat black Cybertruck I would look into chemical surface treatments. Much more durable than wrap.

CNBC - Jay Leno's Garage - June 21:

Down to earth is how I'd describe his review. He's talking to the naysayers for sure, SP just went up on that alone I bet.

What I'm not sure about is if he's up to speed on FSD, stating "If I had been on Autopilot, it would have made the turn by itself". Maybe he's got some special FSD features not release to public. And the hands-on-wheel message got lost in there after about 4 warnings. But maybe it fit his audience with some hands-free eye candy.

Love the trivia. Like where Elon left his cell number with Jay, then Jay used it many years later. I'm guessing Jay's got a rolodex full of business cards and still uses his typewriter for fun, balancing the old with the new like a cool Dad.

So now, the obvious countermove from the shortzes and FUDsters will be to flood the financial media with false rumors that 3/Y bty cell/packs will be produced in Fremont (in a vain attempt to osborne 3/Y). This is FALSE.

Bty cells and packs will CONTINUE to be produced at GF1/Sparks, NV because of SCALE. There is no way to replace 35 GWh/yr of pack production for 3/Y with a pilot bty line in Fremont.

That pilot line will be for Plaid S/X, currently with production around ~75K/yr production for Model S/X. I also think that eventually the use of 18650 cells with the current 100KWh S/X packs will be retired.

Look for an approx. 120-130 KWh pack for Plaid, so that's max demand of approx 9-10 GWh/yr production. When Roadster is added at 5K/yr with a 200KWh pack, that only adds another 1 GWh/yr to demand.

IMHO, the big demand for NewTech Tesla cell/packs will come from Cybertruck, which will be built at a new plant in Texas starting in Q42021.

I think the Semi bty contract is a done deal with Panasonic, and 2170 cells/packs for it will come from GF1 Sparks as part of the pricing/delivery agreement which was signed with Tesla on June 10, 2020.

Cheers!
I thought I'd read that the Semi will need the new cells to create a pack that is able to reach their 500mi range.

If not, Tesla could be able to offer an even longer range version by using Tesla cells. Poor old Trevor can't catch a break.

Last edited:
I've already voted to support Robyn Denholm and recommend all shareholders do as well. It literally only takes less than 2 minutes once you locate your proxy number and login to proxyvote.com. I imagine this won't even be a close contest but it can't hurt to show your support.

Unfortunately, many of us overseas retail investors don't get a vote...

Yes, they have restored order and put the cars as S 3 X Y again.

It is interesting that Solar is now the front of the page. Trying to get people to take them up on that and so they can start expanding it, eh?

:eek: Just noticed they also switched the model S with the 3, spelling S 3 X from top to bottom, on the new/used inventory page. Probably will also add Y under X when it comes non-preorder.

Yesss~~~

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I thought I'd read that the Semi will need the new cells to create a pack that is able to reach their 500mi range.

If not, Tesla could be able to offer an even longer range version by using Tesla cells. Poor old Trevor can't catch a break.

Lol, did you read that on Inside EVs? They argued this on Jun 17, 2019:

"It is our opinion that the semi and the pickup truck are both waiting for lower-cost batteries and that the Maxwell battery line is not so far off and such pie-in-the-sky as some people think."​

The issue was never 'costs' of bty cells, it was always AVAILABILITY of bty cells.

InsideEVs somehow mangled to ignore Tesla's direct statements from on the 2018 Q1 Conference Call which debunks InsideEVs false conclusion on Semi battery tech:

Galileo Russell - HyperChange LLC

Okay. And I'm not an expert in battery pack technology, but it seems that a lot of people are speculating that the specs for the Semi truck, even I believe the CEO of Daimler said it breaks the laws of physics. So, I'm wondering is this just a linear...

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

He doesn't know much about physics. I know him. I'd be happy to engage in a physics discussion with him. I actually studied physics in college.

So, yeah, my question is that just a linear improvement in your battery technology? Or is there some sort of new breakthrough or different platform that the Semi and Roadster are going to be built on?

Even if we didn't improve our battery technology at all, we could achieve a 500 mile range truck at all. We're going to do better than 500 miles.

Jeffrey B. Straubel - Tesla, Inc.

Yeah, this is JB. I think the key point, it doesn't require some dramatic breakthrough. So, there's a fundamental misunderstanding I think of what the current technology in our existing products can actually do.

Yeah.

And maybe that's just the misunderstanding of sort of the current status of the technology versus others in the industry. That could be where some of that's coming from if they're benchmarking the best battery pack they can buy from a supplier...

Yeah, exactly.

And then mapping that what the Semi could do, it doesn't give you – it doesn't solve.

You're right.

I think that's maybe where some of it's coming from, but we basically have what we need in-house and understand how to do those specs today or better as Elon said.

We can do a 500 mile range Semi today. I think the actual production unit will be about 600-mile range.
A year later, the question of production location was also answered directly during the 2019 Q1 Conference Call: (Apr 24, 2019)

Martin Viecha -- Senior Director of Investor Relations

Thank you very much. The next question comes from Jeffrey. When and where will the Tesla Semi production begin?
Jonathan Chang -- General Counsel

Yeah. That was fun. So, yeah, we'll start production next year. The location is not yet set, but it's pretty clear that we make all the batteries and drive units in Reno.

Elon R. Musk -- Chief Executive Officer

That was Sparks technically.

Jerome Guillen -- President of Automotive Division

Yeah. It's Sparks. Yeah. Northern Nevada.​

Now that Panasonic has signed a new agreement for bty supply and costs as of the beginning of Q2 2020, the 'costs' issue is also resolved.

It's significant to notice that Elon sent the "Time to bring Semi into volume production" memo on the same day that Tesla closed the new battery pricing deal with Panasonic.

Cheers!

Lol, did you read that on Inside EVs? They argued this on Jun 17, 2019:

"It is our opinion that the semi and the pickup truck are both waiting for lower-cost batteries and that the Maxwell battery line is not so far off and such pie-in-the-sky as some people think."​

The issue was never 'costs' of bty cells, it was always AVAILABILITY of bty cells.

InsideEVs somehow mangled to ignore Tesla's direct statements from on the 2018 Q1 Conference Call which debunks InsideEVs false conclusion on Semi battery tech:

Okay. And I'm not an expert in battery pack technology, but it seems that a lot of people are speculating that the specs for the Semi truck, even I believe the CEO of Daimler said it breaks the laws of physics. So, I'm wondering is this just a linear...

He doesn't know much about physics. I know him. I'd be happy to engage in a physics discussion with him. I actually studied physics in college.

So, yeah, my question is that just a linear improvement in your battery technology? Or is there some sort of new breakthrough or different platform that the Semi and Roadster are going to be built on?

Even if we didn't improve our battery technology at all, we could achieve a 500 mile range truck at all. We're going to do better than 500 miles.

Yeah, this is JB. I think the key point, it doesn't require some dramatic breakthrough. So, there's a fundamental misunderstanding I think of what the current technology in our existing products can actually do.

Yeah.

And maybe that's just the misunderstanding of sort of the current status of the technology versus others in the industry. That could be where some of that's coming from if they're benchmarking the best battery pack they can buy from a supplier...

Yeah, exactly.

And then mapping that what the Semi could do, it doesn't give you – it doesn't solve.

You're right.

I think that's maybe where some of it's coming from, but we basically have what we need in-house and understand how to do those specs today or better as Elon said.

We can do a 500 mile range Semi today. I think the actual production unit will be about 600-mile range.
A year later, the question of production location was also answered directly during the 2019 Q1 Conference Call: (Apr 24, 2019)

Martin Viecha -- Senior Director of Investor Relations

Thank you very much. The next question comes from Jeffrey. When and where will the Tesla Semi production begin?
Jonathan Chang -- General Counsel

Yeah. That was fun. So, yeah, we'll start production next year. The location is not yet set, but it's pretty clear that we make all the batteries and drive units in Reno.

Elon R. Musk -- Chief Executive Officer

That was Sparks technically.

Jerome Guillen -- President of Automotive Division

Yeah. It's Sparks. Yeah. Northern Nevada.​

Now that Panasonic has signed a new agreement for bty supply and costs as of the beginning of Q2 2020, the 'costs' issue is also resolved.

It's significant to notice that Elon sent the "Time to bring Semi into volume production" memo on the same day that Tesla closed the new battery pricing deal with Panasonic.

Cheers!
Thanks, that pesky gossip is easy to sneak in when not paying close attention.

a83036515629334f641d4be6e1de3ec854e5fae91da0f93c6763f5f68b46e834.jpg

I have learned when to trust FSD, and combine we're much safer on the road.
The speed limit sucks, but I like observing the details and helping it to learn... my roads especially. So if u come.to Chandler, I got u covered!
I could live with the speed limit if only the speed limit shown on the display was accurate. Problem is I went to Nebraska over the last few days and there were many instances of sign vs display 70 vs 55, 70 vs 65, 65 vs 50, etc. The errors were more common than the correct numbers. And it was also odd where the speed limit was implemented and where is was not. Sometimes this changed on the same road within a few miles. I was impressed by the performance in the rain.

Unfortunately, many of us overseas retail investors don't get a vote...

Being oversees you can do what I did. Ask your bank to deposit your shares in a US depot which has no negative impact for you and you can vote as a European.

It still costs money though which I find strange but if something important comes up I can at least participate.

Not sure if there is a need to do it now though.

Well, as we didn't have a date before, I don't think that's the cause. Perhaps just manipulators tryin' to squish the Monday rally.
futures appear to be weakening as well. Maybe spikes in cases on Sunday in California Texas and Florida impacting, as well as battery delay

Also Europe is slightly red. On UK manufacturing news and Germany spike in cases?

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/jpr007/status/1275026303096246272

Don't recall this being mentioned in February (but there were hundreds of pages then as we breached 900 for the first time, and then lost it), but apparently Tesla requested an additional 6MW usage of electricity from the board. Hmmm... now why would they need 6MW more power?

Making batteries?! New model Y line?! :eek: