Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are right of course but Tesla initially was very bullish on insurance so why do we think they have stopped expanding the service?
Um. If memory serves, there was a period of time when insurers, mainly in California I think, were charging exorbitant premiums for any and all Teslas. It was pretty clear that they were doing this because (a) they could, (b) they were claiming that all the Teslas were root'n, toot'n sporty cars, and were thereby making a mint. And since it was most, if not all insurers in CA doing this, it was oligopoly city where the CA insurers were stiffing car owners.

As is kind of normal for Musk-owned companies that like to disrupt moribund industries (see: SpaceX. Or Tesla, for that matter), some bright light over at Tesla figured they could be an insurer themselves, make decent money, and put a stick in the eye to the likes of State Farm and all. And, once competition came back to the market, given that they had All The Driving Data, If They Wanted To Go That Route, might be able to do a better job than standard insurers with their silly dongles.

That was then, this is now. BEVs in general aren't that big an excitement that an insurer can get away with sticking it to the general public like they did to early adopters; further, insurers aren't blind, they can see Tesla and Tesla's premiums, so they're competing. As a guess, I wouldn't say that Tesla's losing money on the insurance business. But actuarial science doesn't need big casting machines or fancy factories in order to operate, just computers, so the barriers to entry are low. Low for Tesla - but low for everybody else, too. Actually competing on a more-or-less level playing field may be somewhat new for Tesla, so I'm not surprised if their expansion plans, which half-depended upon rapacious oligopolies balloons to stick a pin into, might be having a bit of a rough time (a) making a boatload of money and (b) expanding.

Sorry to rain on y'all's parade today 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴
Tony would poke his own eyes out to avoid seeing this:

revenue.JPG

Mongo no like...

Just because Captain Moneybags is willing to pay double to skip the line doesn't mean anyone in line will or can. Also implies all those with 4 year old reservations get dorked over on affordability. Unless they all get purchase orders early on in which case the price change doesn't take effect for quite a while.
I agree, I'd prefer the clause too, but I'm just saying that it won't hurt TSLA / us investors too much because of the switch.

You are right of course but Tesla initially was very bullish on insurance so why do we think they have stopped expanding the service?
I doubt they have stopped, but because it’s state by state processes, it will vary by how hard the barriers to entry are in each state.

Today at the other site, Gordo and the pig with wings posted identical FUD piece. It is quite obvious now that it is quite coordinated effort by you know who. In addition, toilet boy tried some moronic piece too.

Now, with that said, I really hope that Tesla AI will target this nuisance(s) pronto and the other site will clean up even more.

All three had next to zero responses. All good. There are PLENTY of accounts that LOVE Tesla.

I doubt they have stopped, but because it’s state by state processes, it will vary by how hard the barriers to entry are in each state.
I agree they have not stopped but when you roll out a dozen states in less than 2 years and than add no states in 2023 it feels like something has changed. I doubt the barriers just got more difficult on the next group of states. Too much of a coincidence.

My guess is with the data they have collected Tesla is making changes to the program. That's a good thing if it helps with insurance margins. Time will tell.

A nice thread discussing possible Cybertruck pack layout (not mine this time lol)

TDLR is that with all the images we've have now, it seem like 185 kWh raw (without cooling or anything) is the maximum it can be fitted in a single layer, if Tesla switches to bottom cooling, this is close to what they can actually fit, this makes 500 miles of range easily achievable

Model Y didn't do that, some papers points that side cooling is more effective even with the tabless electrode, but also could it be that there was no room, 10 mm taller than 2170 cells plus a cooling plate

...that's a story from 4 months ago about Q2 though?

Q3 numbers were much better, up 113% YoY with an ATP also up at 130k. (which is still a tiny # compared to anything Tesla sells, but why repost old news when more current data is available?)

A nice thread discussing possible Cybertruck pack layout (not mine this time lol)

TDLR is that with all the images we've have now, it seem like 185 kWh raw (without cooling or anything) is the maximum it can be fitted in a single layer, if Tesla switches to bottom cooling, this is close to what they can actually fit, this makes 500 miles of range easily achievable

Model Y didn't do that, some papers points that side cooling is more effective even with the tabless electrode, but also could it be that there was no room, 10 mm taller than 2170 cells plus a cooling plate

No room? Hah, have you misunderstood the difference between mm and inches? We are talking about a vehicle with insane ground clearance on the order of 10 inches and you think a few mm would be a deal breaker on a clean slate design?

It think you're joking, but just in case you aren't...It's not a Cybertruck. It's not even a hint to a Cybertruck or Tesla.
"That which we call a rose, by any other word would smell as sweet."
---Juliet
"A rose is a rose despite the color of your nose."
---Og (Finian's Rainbow you heathen)
And finally,
"If it looks like a Cyberduck its a Cyberduck."
--- Me
My point is that the essence of a CYBER(nota)truck was the basis for the "Cyber Cruiser."
Hess's decision is a paradigm shift. From old ICE vehicles to Cyber vehicles. And in no small part is the reason for the rise in the stock price (as much as anything else that has happened in the world the last two days).

Reactions: Musskiah