Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're talking about dealing with an outage caused by a tornado and you disregarded the OKC Superchargers because they're "a pain to get to"?
Did you disregard Denton, TX because they're only V2?

I get that it's not perfect, but when an important node goes out, needs must.
No, I just had the miles wrong, my bad on that one. Is the Buck'ees in Denton really V2?

Some interesting interpretations on the supercharger news on Facebook.

Will tesla stop adding existing superchargers to those accessible to Ford and Rivian?

Will other brands be added to access list?

Will any more superchargers be added?

These are the main questions being asked in the various Facebook groups in various languages that I follow. The Rivian and ford folks are the most bitter. 😂. Some pretty funny posts. 😎

Hopefully Elon can address this in a tweet.

I don't understand why Musk would lay off the entire supercharger team, like what was so wrong that literally everyone had to be let go? What is his plan to rebuild such a large team? Are supercharger deployments now on hold until they re-hire 500 new employees? Will Tesla be farming this out to a third party, that wouldn't be vertically integrated like Tesla normally is.

Something feels askew with this story, but I can't find any real info providing answers yet.

Q - I remember reading this about JP Morgan Chase:

Does anyone think that Tesla is using chat-based AI to streamline their operations (e.g. B2B supercharger rollout now that superchargers are basically 4-day plug-and-play) and see an opportunity to reduce the headcount, in favor of AI, in order to improve efficiencies?

I don't understand why Musk would lay off the entire supercharger team, like what was so wrong that literally everyone had to be let go? What is his plan to rebuild such a large team? Are supercharger deployments now on hold until they re-hire 500 new employees? Will Tesla be farming this out to a third party, that wouldn't be vertically integrated like Tesla normally is.

Something feels askew with this story, but I can't find any real info providing answers yet.
Confirmation on a Tesla Reddit page (can we post link here?) That the whole Supercharger team was let go.

The Daniel Ho dismissal is interesting because new vehicles are debuting this year. Is he taking the fall for the fact Gen 3 consumer version was not ready or missed targets? Getting rid of his team? Where was he located? Texas, California or China? Does Lars get a promotion?

Looks like part of the change of direction covered in the conference call. Focus on the FSD/CyberCab and variations on existing Models till they get to 3 million per year is my guess, will probably all be revealed on 8/8 which is smart as it avoids too much Osborne effect.

I'm asking myself how anyone can know how long their job is at Tesla because again, it's your manager, or manager's manager or director and the chain all being cut. Of course, this can all be blown out of proportion and all lies as well, but people leaving a company isn't something you can lie about for long for folks who knows them.
You know that Elon doesn’t believe in chain of command. Right?
You know there are no manager/exec offices at Tesla, no closed doors. That he requires departments to work together not separately and on their own. Right?
You also know that his view of managers and up are as facilitators for everyone else, not as some supreme, untouchable heads of state. Right?
You understand that Elon is accessible to every and all employees, all the way down to the janitors. Right?
You know that Elon approves of going over your manager’s/team leader’s head if they aren’t providing the support and performance an employee needs. Right?
You know that not only do managers and up do performance reviews for those employees under their management, but that all employees also performance review their managers and up. Right?

You’ve also run and/or at least worked at companies with and without typical chains of command thus have firsthand experience of the pros and cons of each set up. Right?

It’s good to know that you at least acknowledge there’s a chance it’s being blown out of proportion by the media because that’s what they do. All the time.

Last edited:
I'm asking myself how anyone can know how long their job is at Tesla because again, it's your manager, or manager's manager or director and the chain all being cut. Of course, this can all be blown out of proportion and all lies as well, but people leaving a company isn't something you can lie about for long for folks who knows them.

I think the "fire an entire team when the manager goes" thing depends on the issue(s) the manager was let go for.

If the manager's execution problems were associated with system approach, drive, style, etc... but the team is understood to be required going forward, then it may make sense to simply replace the manager and let him inherit the existing team and implement his improvements, etc...

But, if one of the manager's issues was building a large and/or unqualified team to support an approach that's not working or no longer in the direction the executive staff has decided to go, then I don't see much sense in retaining that team.

I think it's pretty reasonable for shareholders to expect a company response to these media reports of entire business units being supposedly jettisoned overnight, call me crazy...
You crazy. 🤪

I think it’s pretty reasonable for shareholders to:

A) know the company they’re investing in beyond the most superficial level
B) wait a hot second before jumping to conclusions
C) sell if they don’t like or agree with what’s going on at said company

Management rolling tells me they were not selective enough in identifying unnecessary resource as directed. It's gotta be tough to fire people, fortunately I've never had to do that.

I don't view those Assembly skills as difficult, more routine by now. If they had well defined workmethods, perhaps even recorded by an emersive bodysuit, it should not be difficult to re-establish what's needed, and re-hire pure essential employees (vs let go who they don't need). Maybe that's actually easier than watching your collegues and friends get walked one at a time - which is something I did experience at one time.

We are not getting the whole story, that's the whole point. It is intended to create questions and worry. I'm cool waiting for the rest of the story and view this as a despirate move to scare investors who should (and normally do) reward layoffs.

Management rolling tells me they were not selective enough in identifying unnecessary resource as directed. It's gotta be tough to fire people, fortunately I've never had to do that.

I don't view those Assembly skills as difficult, more routine by now. If they had well defined workmethods, perhaps even recorded by an emersive bodysuit, it should not be difficult to re-establish what's needed, and re-hire pure essential employees (vs let go who they don't need). Maybe that's actually easier than watching your collegues and friends get walked one at a time - which is something I did experience at one time.
I too watched that until I was the last person standing.

Reactions: SOULPEDL