Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unionization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You and I just see this differently. Again:

Metall could have ~12-34 members on strike at Tesla. According to how things work in Sweden those ~12-34 members have a right to ask their union for support so that they can have their working conditions regulated in a Collective agreement. And they obviously did ask their union for that help. And now their union is helping them. And other unions are helping Metall.

Why would ~12-34 mechanics ask for the union's help if there was no reason what so ever?

Has any employee of Tesla asked for support?

This is a quest for fact, while you continue to dance around hypotheticals.

We know Tesla had 289 employees in December last year. They probably have ~350 now. And that is before the so called 25K USD car and before Tesla starts selling trucks in Europe. If Tesla doesn't have to sign a Collective agreement then why should anyone else have to? If nobody signs everything would have to be regulated through legislation instead ~70% of workers in Sweden doesn't want that. And the eight political parties in Parliament doesn't want it either.

Finally, we have hit upon the crux of the matter.

Why, indeed, cannot people negotiate for themselves?

The purpose of a union is the last resort, once an actual problem exists and individual negotiation has been unsuccessful.

This entire fiasco is based upon the presumption of a problem when there is no evidence to support the presumption.

Ok all. This was 'fun'. But is it leading anywhere?... Doesn't seem like it. Therefore I'm not super inclined to continue this keyboard fight.

As stated previously. I'm pro-union. Most of you doesn't seem to be. It is what it is. Over and out.

This "fight" is made up entirely of questions which you have not offered responses for.

The fight must be going on inside your head.

The facts, or lack thereof, speak volumes toward how IF Metall is being portrayed by YOU, based entirely upon your platitudes founded upon a presumption for which you offer no conclusive support.

IF Metall appears to be doing to themselves what the UAW is doing to their members' employers. It is unlikely to end well.

IF Metall do not seem to be first-principles based strategist, and, they are going up against Tesla?

Perhaps it is time for all unions to revisit the story of the Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs.

Reactions: Krugerrand
It's his wife's Model Y. Should she be forced to sell it?
And he’s married to her, thusly they’re a ‘family’ and it’s a ‘family’ car regardless of whose name it’s in? Or is there no common law/50/50 marriage assets law in Sweden? I have to ask this now because your country definitely has some odd ideas of what’s fair and right.

My spouse and I have three licensed and insured vehicles; for specific reasons at the time, two are in the spouse’s name, one is in both our names. CT will also likely end up in my spouse’s name. Rest assured, all are ‘family’ vehicles (family meaning just the two of us) and in a divorce the courts won’t care one iota whose name any of them are in; I’ll be getting my half.

And he’s married to her, thusly they’re a ‘family’ and it’s a ‘family’ car regardless of whose name it’s in? Or is there no common law/50/50 marriage assets law in Sweden? I have to ask this now because your country definitely has some odd ideas of what’s fair and right.

My spouse and I have three licensed and insured vehicles; for specific reasons at the time, two are in the spouse’s name, one is in both our names. CT will also likely end up in my spouse’s name. Rest assured, all are ‘family’ vehicles (family meaning just the two of us) and in a divorce the courts won’t care one iota whose name any of them are in; I’ll be getting my half.

And you honestly expect me to know these things?...

He stated in some media interview that the Y is his wife's car. I don't know any more than that, and I'm certainly not going to do anything at all to try and find out more about this either.

Reactions: petit_bateau
@SwedishAdvocate Do you really think that the sympathy actions are reasonable? Even if they end up putting some companies out of business (they have to turn away 70% of their current clients because their employees can no longer work on Tesla vehicles) or results in more than 50 employees being laid off because they can no longer make parts for Tesla vehicles? When in reality the actions are not likely to hurt Tesla at all.

Just to be clear: I have no problem with the Tesla mechanics striking if they think Tesla is treating them wrongly.

Ok all. This was 'fun'. But is it leading anywhere?... Doesn't seem like it. Therefore I'm not super inclined to continue this keyboard fight.

As stated previously. I'm pro-union. Most of you doesn't seem to be. It is what it is. Over and out.
I do appreciate you representing the pro-Swedish-union perspective - even if the position doesn't make much sense to my style of logic, it's helpful for us to understand that you represent a significant portion of a specific culture, and there is precedence/context that is very different than North America in particular... The history of unions in America are a bit more... "volatile," I'd say.

(And you probably had more patience than I might if I was in your shoes!)

Last edited:
And you honestly expect me to know these things?...

Answering the question posed by @Krugerrand would be no more expected than would be an answer to any logical query put to you.

You have made it abundantly clear that answers are not your forte', based upon repeated inability to provide answers to direct questions regarding detail on the topics which you have brought up.

If making remedy of this is something which would interest you, look through my responses for the "?" symbol and consider the sentence it ends as if it were one you might like to provide an answer for.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Answering the question posed by @Krugerrand would be no more expected than would be an answer to any logical query put to you.

You have made it abundantly clear that answers are not your forte', based upon repeated inability to provide answers to direct questions regarding detail on the topics which you have brought up.

If making remedy of this is something which would interest you, look through my responses for the "?" symbol and consider the sentence it ends as if it were one you might like to provide an answer for.

Current mood: Feeling that I've wasted way too much time on this. So don't hold your breath.

I would not mind if we stopped trying to prove each other "right" or "wrong" on the concept of Unions and their place/traditions/future in Sweden, Scandinavia, the USA, and the World Writ Large.

Signal to noise ratio here has gotten rather low.

I appreciate the news and the updates from afar, with the occasional opinion, cheer, or jeer sprinkled in. Humble request: Can we take the other stuff to direct messages please?
(All contributions to this thread appreciated, but also back and forth has become tiresome. If I am the only one who thinks so, I am happy to fall back to the main roundtable thread; it gets some updates on this topic)

Don’t be coy. We both know why you posted it was his wife’s car after the quote stating it was the family car. 🙄

And at that it is the only family car:
As IF Metall’s lawyer, Davidovic advises the union on which strike actions are within the confines of the law. But in a recent conversation with Swedish motoring news outlet CarUp, the lawyer confirmed that the only private car in his family today is a Tesla Model Y owned by his wife.

And they even bought it after he knew that Tesla didn't have a collective agreement:
He stated that he learned of Tesla’s lack of collective agreement only at the end of last year, so today at least, Davidovic noted that he would “definitely not buy” a Tesla today.

However, Davidovic’s family bought a Model Y at the end of March this year, a time when the lawyer was already aware that Tesla had no collective agreement.

Though he did try to buy a BMW instead:
In a comment to CarUp, Davidovic admitted that he did try to get his wife to purchase a BMW instead, but she refused. Davidovic, for his part, noted that all he can really do is not drive his wife’s Tesla Model Y today.

But he will no longer drive it:
“I’m not driving it today. It would be perceived as strange under these circumstances. I tried to get her to buy a BMW instead, but she has a strong will of her own… It is clear that I have driven it. But of course, I’m not out in public in the current circumstances. It would be inappropriate to drive around in a Tesla right now,” the federal lawyer said.

Sourced from: Sweden union IF Metall lawyer admits his family has a Tesla Model Y

All I am interested in is whether or not the intent of IT Metall is to actually address a known problem with Tesla.
If so, what is the nature of the complaint?​
If not, what is with the outrageous posture of enlisting other unions' employees in order to force Tesla to comply?​

The only response to direct inquiry so far is being painted with broad brush strokes. Strokes which appear to presume all Swedish employers as being violators of the conditions of employment for the entire working force. Which is absurd.

The most sincere response has been the one by IF Metall's Marie Nilsson:
“If Tesla shows it’s possible to operate in Sweden without a collective agreement, then other companies could be tempted to do the same”

This is the real issue they are fighting tooth and nail over. Their union may be becoming irrelevant.

I fully suspect Swedes are reasonable people and the need for a union like IF Metall may no longer be all that important. Changes affected over time have created an environment where awareness of worker's rights to a safe workplace, good wages, and respect by their employer have risen to the point of making obsolete the notion of needing representation from a union.

It would seem that the people who are in dire straits will be the paid administrators of the union itself.

Tesla bucking the system is precedent setting, and could lead to the union having a significantly reduced role in Sweden if they cannot somehow justify their grandiose actions to date with Tesla.

Many of those who are employed by IF Metall might find themselves applying for jobs at Tesla if they are unable to whitewash this farce in such a way as to bring the company to heel under their tactics.

Based upon the information provided, there are no facts being offered to warrant such a large scale fight to "protect employees" at Tesla. Many of which have stated publicly how they believe their working conditions and pay are superior to those the union recommends.

This would make for a great and funny story by the likes of Mark Twain, highlighting the absurdity of people, if it weren't for the fact that it is actually happening.

Last edited:
Tesla bucking the system is precedent setting, and could lead to the union having a significantly reduced role in Sweden if they cannot somehow justify their grandiose actions to date with Tesla.
And really they are bringing it on themselves, as most people probably had no idea that Tesla didn't have a collective agreement. But now IF Metall has made sure that everyone knows... That may have been their biggest mistake.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2daMoon
And really they are bringing it on themselves, as most people probably had no idea that Tesla didn't have a collective agreement. But now IF Metall have made sure that everyone knows... That may have been their biggest mistake.

You've led me to imagine other companies jumping on the non-collective agreement bandwagon, and IF Metall trying to perpetrate this debacle using the same tactics upon multiple fronts simultaneously.

It could be an entertaining show. (when viewed from a safe distance)

🍿🎆🎇

I get the feeling that a lot of pro union people think that Tesla should join because of majority rule, aka democracy. I think it stems from the western liberal view that democracy = good. Imo a better mental model is that democracy often lead to good policies, but sometimes bad. A policy can be any permutation of good/bad and democracy/undemocratic, it's not that the democratic policy is good per se.

And imo the defence of democracy generally only makes sense for big groups, as soon as you try to make concrete examples for smaller groups, pro democracy people often become very uncomfortable. For example a group of 3 people want to go see a movie. They decide to hold a vote. 2 votes for Oppenheimer and 1 vote for Barbie. So the decision is to go see Oppenheimer. The Barbie person says that then I don't want to join, I have no interest in watching the movie, you two guys can go watch it alone. Most people here feel that this is fine and how it should be done. But in a democracy this becomes a bit more unclear. They decided to vote, so now everyone has to follow the will of the majority and everyone has to watch Oppenheimer. Like with nation states etc.

There will be a lot of "this feels wrong, so now I will try to justify democracy, here is x random arguments that don't really hold", social contract etc. It's pretty easy to dismantle most arguments, see for example this video.

So we are mostly back to mob rule/tyranny of the majority. But we don't like to be the bad guy so we will try to pretend that we are not imposing our ideas on the minority, they just don't know what's best for them which is what I want. As long as you are in the majority it can seem a bit irrational that people don't want to do as you think they should, why are they fighting against us good guys in the majority? Why do they want to upset the nice order we have. But as soon as you find yourself in the minority of a few important issue you can actually start to acknowledge at least some of the oppression needed in a democracy.

I think the Swedish unions have been in the majority for such a long time that they have convinced themselves that they are the good guys and what they do is good. Here comes Elon Musk and refuses to follow them, he must be evil. Whatever the union does is good and whatever resistance is evil. Words such as "Swedish Model", "strike breaker" etc highlight the struggle between the majority and the minority. In America the unions have not been the majority for a long time and all their scandals have made them feel less like the good guy, so they feel more guilty about imposing the policies than the Swedish unions do.

Imo the main discussion should be about proportionality. x number at Tesla want collective agrement, maybe 12 to 40. Who knows. How bad is it to not have collective agreement when you want it? Life and death? A small economic hit? How much are the union sacrificing in their campaign to get there? 50 jobs at Werksta and Hydro extrusions. A lot fewer future contracts to Tesla and other companies in the future, let's say a few hundred future jobs. Is it worth it? Will postnord have to give up all contracts with the government as they can no longer guarantee that they will deliver post as soon as the union calls? Will the government have to have a policy to never use companies with collective agreements when they do critical work they by law have to provide? Is the price worth it?

Last edited: