Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla VR / AR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AR will be a gamechanger and pretty cool in the car. You might be able to see a virtual neon sign above a restaurant as you drive by and order within the headset.

...are you not aware that AR and VR are very different things?

Wearing your own AR glasses in a robotaxi might very well be cool. But the same is true of being a passenger in a regular taxi today- there's nothing, at all, Tesla or EV specific there.

Meanwhile wearing a VR headset to play VR games- your actual original idea- would be steaming pile of hot garbage in either place (and again there's no difference between an RT and a regular taxi to be had if you're suggesting using an entirely standalone headset).

So explain again how "VR and RT" go together but VR and normal taxi don't and yet nobody uses them there?

Much of the fun of VR is the ability to move around, and have the system track your motion and interaction with the game world that way.

All of which requires space, and sensors, that simply don't exist in the back seat of a car.

Without that it's just a screen strapped really close to your face, but requiring a ton more room, and power, to carry around with you all day and less comfortably than just looking at a regular, far more portable, screen.

Reactions: JRP3
...are you not aware that AR and VR are very different things?

Wearing your own AR glasses in a robotaxi might very well be cool. But the same is true of being a passenger in a regular taxi today- there's nothing, at all, Tesla or EV specific there.

Meanwhile wearing a VR headset to play VR games- your actual original idea- would be steaming pile of hot garbage in either place (and again there's no difference between an RT and a regular taxi to be had if you're suggesting using an entirely standalone headset).

So explain again how "VR and RT" go together but VR and normal taxi don't and yet nobody uses them there?

Much of the fun of VR is the ability to move around, and have the system track your motion and interaction with the game world that way.

All of which requires space, and sensors, that simply don't exist in the back seat of a car.

Without that it's just a screen strapped really close to your face, but requiring a ton more room, and power, to carry around with you all day and less comfortably than just looking at a regular, far more portable, screen.
I'm aware that VR and AR are two things - however they will blend and you will be able to swap within a second.

People don't use headsets in trains today because they look stupid and they aren't great. Apple will solve both - maybe not initially. They will be comfortable for more than an hour at a time. In 5 years many will wear them all day long so carrying them around won't be a problem.

355 mostly positive comments on Quest 3 here for other opinions. Most will probably have Quest 2. Carmack hand a big hand in both. I have a Oculus Rift that I have used over a 6 year period - Quest 2 is much better.

Again, what is the magic part where any of the imaginary don't-exist-yet products you mention are, in any way, better to use in a robotaxi vs a regular taxi?

YOU said:
VR and Robotaxis go together like steel and WD40.

Because again that was your original claim and you still haven't offered a shred of evidence or explanation to support it- even if we pretend magic perfect VR that doesn't need any space to use, is perfectly comfortable to wear, and requires 0 external connectivity, sensors, or hardware- somehow existed.

355 mostly positive comments on Quest 3 here for other opinions. Most will probably have Quest 2. Carmack hand a big hand in both. I have a Oculus Rift that I have used over a 6 year period - Quest 2 is much better.

Quite a few speculating how good the head and hand tracking is on the controllers...

Which is another reason USE IN TAXIS is a dumb idea. Lots of folks gonna be smacking their expensive controllers into car seatbacks or other passengers because there's no room to actually do VR stuff back there.

Last edited:
I'm quite enjoying this so will continue.
Again, what is the magic part where any of the imaginary don't-exist-yet products you mention are, in any way, better to use in a robotaxi vs a regular taxi?

Because again that was your original claim and you still haven't offered a shred of evidence or explanation to support it- even if we pretend magic perfect VR that doesn't need any space to use, is perfectly comfortable to wear, and requires 0 external connectivity, sensors, or hardware- somehow existed.

Quite a few speculating how good the head and hand tracking is on the controllers...

Which is another reason USE IN TAXIS is a dumb idea. Lots of folks gonna be smacking their expensive controllers into car seatbacks or other passengers because there's no room to actually do VR stuff back there.
Regular taxis won't exist. No other reason particularly but if you want some not so good reasons:
  • You don't want to look silly in front of driver
  • You will use a robotaxi for long journeys, driver is more expensive
  • It might seem rude
Hardware exists today and many games, films, internet usage don't require moving your hands away from your lap.

If it's larger than a pair of glasses and won't fit in a pocket I doubt many people will be casually walking around with them. I guess we'll see in 48 hours.
Rumour is that Apple headset coming this year will be smaller than Quest but have an external battery. Perfect for robotaxi.

Apple Glasses rumour is 2 years+. Perfect timing for robotaxi.

I have a feeling most people will be uncomfortable in VR while a vehicle is moving in completely different directions in the real world, seems like a disaster for motion sickness. At least with a phone, tablet or laptop you're still connected to the real world through peripheral vision.

I have a feeling most people will be uncomfortable in VR while a vehicle is moving in completely different directions in the real world, seems like a disaster for motion sickness. At least with a phone, tablet or laptop you're still connected to the real world through peripheral vision.
Sensitive folk might have problems but it won’t be like playing call of duty. Apple will eventually overlay a horizon which could raise and lower to simulate braking.

Sensitive folk might have problems but it won’t be like playing call of duty.
Having visual input in opposition to physical motion could easily cause issues for most people.
Apple will eventually overlay a horizon which could raise and lower to simulate braking.
How does that help, my horizon doesn't change when I'm riding in a vehicle unless it's an unexpected and violent move, and usually unpleasant. Same with turning. You're making a huge number of unfounded assumptions and projections to support the narrative you created.

No chance 🤣 Geeks and people who want to look like scuba divers only.

1685993392978.png

Looks like the gamechanger I was expecting. Zoom, Webex, & TEAMS calls with your workmates will be a great advert.
Do you really think this will be game changing? No one will do video calls with a headset on, not in a professional setting anyway. It's extremely niche product and I doubt it will even sell as well as Oculus/Meta.

And I love all sorts of tech stuff and have multiple pairs of VR headsets, but they all fare the same way. Really cool to start and then the fade wears off and they are rarely used.

Do you really think this will be game changing?
I think Apple thinks so. Clearly they have invested a lot into custom chips and hardware and lots of work into software. I would guess they think the product will be as impactful(to their future earnings) as Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, Macs, Airpods(individually).

Right now content will be limited and software and hardware will be far from perfect. Next generation will improve hardware and software and they will have gotten a lot of good feedback. Content will be orders of magnitude more. How the product ends up we will see, but people seriously underestimated Apple Watch, Airpods etc. And I have a feeling that many of the people who underestimate Vision Pro have not learnt their lesson as they were the same people who underestimated those products...

Zuckerberg has burnt a lot of money on VR, clearly he thinks so also.

Future will tell how it turns out, but for now I think we should at least not discard the possibility of this becoming as big or bigger than iPhone. Higher probability of this being bigger than Apple Watch/Airpods.

Reactions: Buckminster
To be fair, the main chip in this thing is not custom for this thing- it's the same one they're already using in Mac desktops, Mac laptops, and iPads. It's a nice chip though.

And the OS is mostly also parts of existing OSes with some neat visual gimmicks.

All that said-- Apple tends to be outstanding at taking something that exists but is annoying to use and making it incredibly nice to use at not that crazy a premium to the annoying to use one.

I don't think this is that YET, with the $3500 price (7x the price of the coming soon Quest 3) and the 2 hour external battery especially. But it's pretty clearly a nice first draft heading toward that in a few more years/iterations- so I agree betting against them isn't a great plan.

I still see absolutely zero relevance to Tesla at this point though.