Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly for me I was dumping any and all options for shares and got lots of notice saying I can't sell (the shares that I'm buying) until the funds used to buy them settle. But it let me buy them fine.
OK, I was slightly confused about the rule. The rule is actually that you can't buy *with unsettled funds* and then sell *before the funds are settled*. Since I never buy with unsettled funds it doesn't come up for me much...

So what do you guys think will most likely happen to the stock price in the interum? Does it continue to rise? What happens if it approaches or even exceeds the 420 mark? Is the the deal cancelled at that point? Do they issue a higher buy out price? Again, my ignorance is astounding. Please help.

Dan
I think we are in unchartered water here. Apparently shorts are not yet covering. It appears that most longs underestimated how delusional the shorts are. Most of them still firmly believe Elon is lying. We will probably see true short squeeze of the century

As a long term holder of TSLA I'm fine with this. I appreciate the opportunity to take share in the private company.

The downsides:

- no more stock option trades (I like to sell time value, Puts and Calls alike); TSLA offered fabulous premiums most of the time
- less liquidity
- probably not marginable, just cash; thats a big one, because just the option of getting into margin gives me peace of mind when liquidity gets thin
- no more TSLA investor discussions on TMC
- what to do with the spare time?

Maybe we should start discussing other stocks/trading strategies. Anybody want to suggest a proper venue?
Add to that that you probably won't get ANYWHERE near the amount of information out of the company that you once did, to put a value on your shares/risk.

Considering that every Wall St bank said they were unaware of any proposal, yes.

I'm shorting more. Who is buying at 420/share? And why are they buying existing shares rather than infusing w/ new equity?

Elon has also capped our losses. I can offer 425/share, and the market will sell to me instead of the "mystery buyer."

All of the Wall St banks, mutual funds, hedge funds, etc. have liquidity requirements. They will be obligated to sell their Tesla shares when the privatization happens at 420/share.

Ugh. Keeping this post up in order to provide absolutely necessary rebuttals.

“All...have liquidity requirements”. TRUE

“They will {unstated: ‘therefore’} be obligated to sell...” ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. It is possible that some funds have zero provision for having a portion of their assets in private investments, but that is the case with very, very few - and almost NO “sizable” funds.

He said "Investor support is confirmed." That is his private "funding". Lining up the people/group that will buy Tesla.

No he didn't. He said "Investor support is confirmed. Only reason why this is not certain is that it’s contingent on a shareholder vote." In that he means the investors that would be buying and taking Tesla private, not the current shareholders. (Which is why he says it needs a shareholder vote.)

Shareholder vote is required, but the majority of share are help by large groups that are theoretically supportive of the move.The current investors would keep holding their shares (zero net cost), private investors would choose to stay in private Tesla or cash out at $420.

Is there any precedent for a company going private to offer existing option holders with strike dates later than the transaction, the chance to continue to hold their options, the same way that share holders can continue to own shares? I would love that to happen in this case. Right now as my Jan 2020 call options with strike prices as high as $700 are taking serious hits. But the owners of those calls are among Tesla's biggest believers. I would guess Elon would want to protect them. He could do that by arguing for option holders rights to transfer to the private company. ie. holders would retain the right to buy shares in private Tesla in jan 2020 for $700. If he were to announce that, I'm guessing the value of those long-term options will rapidly recover.

when the original tweet of 420 came out, people assumed cash out at 420, which crippled calls 420+

now that more details about the proposed buyout emerge, and then when the halt came off, they restablished their original value as of the saudi news.

the market obviously now realizes that 420 isn’t a cap.

this has the chance of being voliatkle obviously as shops all over the street are jockeying for position.
it’s def a risk to be holding calls 420 and above (and any where your premium paid plus strike is above 420) but we’ll see how it unfolds.
even if some people think the deal is a farce, keeping the price where it is now, there could still be a squeeze bc those who do believe will want their loaned shares recalled for the proxy vote.

then there’s the camp that doesn’t want the deal, and instead want multiples of this price (most likely the deal will be structured such that they will still recall their shares in order to vote NO)

so the 420 may be breached ...but we’ll see. there may be some mechanics to cycle through as the market repositions that will keep suppressing the price, or at least keeping it in check for time being.

i expect borrowing to go Neg rates tomorrow, meaning cost to borrow will increase

ok, so the blog post answers part of my question (every 6 months), but what's the share price for a private company if I want to sell? Right now it's set by "the market". For a private company it's the Board who offers a price? sorry, brand new territory for me.

Honestly, I wasn't planning to sell for another 3-5 years at least / under $1000, so I would consider staying long, just not sure about the implications.

Especially for us non-US investors, can we even convert our shares to non public?? Or do we have to go through some US institution? Maybe transfer our shares to something like Interactive Traders if that´s possible and then have a better chance?

Is there any precedent for a company going private to offer existing option holders with strike dates later than the transaction, the chance to continue to hold their options, the same way that share holders can continue to own shares?

I was initially going to say no, but...

Options are actually a legal contract. So yes, you retain the ability to pay $700/share to receive 100 shares of TSLA (or whatever that becomes), and the options exchange is supposed to make you whole. I'm not certain exactly how the deep details of the exchange-traded options regulations work, though. I think they may be able to *accelerate your deadline*, and say "pay your $700 before it goes private or never".

(For incentive options and non-qualified options I'm sure they will continue to work as before, so I'm talking exchange-traded options here.)

I would love that to happen in this case. Right now as my Jan 2020 call options with strike prices as high as $700 are taking serious hits. But the owners of those calls are among Tesla's biggest believers. I would guess Elon would want to protect them. He could do that by arguing for option holders rights to transfer to the private company. ie. holders would retain the right to buy shares in private Tesla in jan 2020 for $700. If he were to announce that, I'm guessing the value of those long-term options will rapidly recover.

Why would you want to do that, given you could just buy TSLA shares directly on the open market for less than that (current price in the after market is $378).

Because of leverage. Someone please tell me if I'm doing this math wrong.

265 J20 call option, buy for 135.75x100=13,575

On the last day, hopefully the SP will be around 420. 420x100 =42,000

Cost of conversion = 265x100=26,500

42000-13575-26500 = 1,925 gain per call option

If I buy 10 such call options for 135,750, I'll walk away with 19,250 gain, or 155,000 total

If I buy the equivalent in shares (assuming385), that's 352 shares, x420 = 147,840 total

Is my math correct?

Ugh. Keeping this post up in order to provide absolutely necessary rebuttals.

“All...have liquidity requirements”. TRUE

“They will {unstated: ‘therefore’} be obligated to sell...” ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. It is possible that some funds have zero provision for having a portion of their assets in private investments, but that is the case with very, very few - and almost NO “sizable” funds.

You're thinking actively-managed funds, though.

I would say that nearly every index fund will be forced to sell TSLA because I can't think of a single index which contains private equity. Powershares QQQ for instance will have to cash out if the deal goes through.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but I had a crazy thought. How many TSLA shares are outstanding? What if Elon is in Beijing to sign a deal with Tencent where they announce that TC has been slowly buying up or will buy a good amount of outstanding shares to provide financing for GF3. Now THAT could be the short burn!

Maybe not TC seeing as their HQ is not in Beijing, but maybe someone else?
Ahem .. I believe I predicted this a month ago (well, pretty damn close anyway, esp for a newbie I think). The only way I could think of a super short burn of the century was to eliminate available shares.

even if some people think the deal is a farce, keeping the price where it is now, there could still be a squeeze bc those who do believe will want their loaned shares recalled for the proxy vote.

then there’s the camp that doesn’t want the deal, and instead want multiples of this price (most likely the deal will be structured such that they will still recall their shares in order to vote NO)

Yeah, I'm already recalling in order to vote. Whether yes or no, I have a strong incentive to vote this!

Especially for us non-US investors, can we even convert our shares to non public??
Depends how the deal is structured. It's legal to own shares in private equity in foreign countries.

Perhaps one move is to get your stock actually issued into your name on the books of the company -- demand a certificate. (Can't do that if it's a retirement account or anything similar, of course.) This may involve some serious paperwork.

Oh man, what a day to play golf! 12 minutes after Elon tweeted, I saw the tweet on the second hole, and put in a smallish buy order. Thought about it some more for a few holes, then put in a large buy order, but by then trading had been halted. Got it executed when the market reopened at essentially the close for the day. Gulp.

Status
Not open for further replies.