Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the single motor option provide enough power for the Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one lately is predicting single motor
It would be a bad option
with Trucks need 4WD
I had a 2WD Toy Sequoia once and it was a disaster

Farzad predicts 3 trims
Base $69K 2x motor 350 mile range
$79K 2x motor 500 miles
$99K 3x motor 600 miles

Upvote 0
It would be a bad option
with Trucks need 4WD

Farzad predicts 3 trims
$79K 2x motor 500 miles
$99K 3x motor 600 miles
Unless "Farzad" works for Tesla, those predictions are worthless.

Upvote 0
Sure, why not? The *slowest* RWD Tesla's made recently do 0-60 in about 6 seconds. Not fast by performance car standards but more than enough for day to day driving. On-ramps and getting up to highway speeds is still effortless.

Like others have said, they may not do a RWD model but if they do it might actually be the best cybertruck. RWD (usually) improves efficiency a bit and reduces weight. If you're road tripping that's almost certainly a benefit. It might even be nice when towing (every bit of range counts), although it may not be worth the acceleration and peak regen power reduction.

If you drive in snow or offroad AWD would be nice.

Upvote 0
It would be a bad option
with Trucks need 4WD

Farzad predicts 3 trims
$79K 2x motor 500 miles
$99K 3x motor 600 miles
lol ... say hello to the Cybertruck with 250kwh and 300 kwh battery packs and 10k lbs curb weight 😅

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0
I thought 3 motor was dumped for 4 motor? I preordered a tri-motor but don’t think it will be offered.
who knows what will be offered... at this point we are years from original specs/ prices and will see new specs/ prices soon...

300+ miles of range with AWD for $49k ain't happening ... that's below a Model Y ... neither will 250+ miles of range and RWD for $39k ... that's below a Model 3 ... and if they can squeeze 500+ miles of range out of that platform (when they failed in the Model S and cancelled the Plaid+) also doubtful...

Reactions: Mrbrock
Upvote 0
We are in such rapid evolution with advanced vehicle drag design, battery Chem tech, chassis design with giga castings and structural packs, etc
it’s not accurate to compare a new vehicle/CT being released in 2023 to anything before
Don’t think Tesla is worried about any of us current owners of previous designs to what’s coming out
I have a 2023 M3 and if I get stuck in my head, I’m missing out on HW4 plus highland advances
I don’t get stuck for I am living a Tesla EV life now and having fun, love OTA updates

I’ll be trading in over the next few years to capture rhe new Tesla tech

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0
After yesterdays call and statement they see 10% energy gain in the gen 2 4680
Using these 4680s, the first CT offered will be:

$69K 2x motor, 350 mile range
This will be the bottom trim

Waiting on their 4680 gen 3 Chem tweaks in order for rhe CT to get to 500/600 mile trims

Interesting BMW is working with Samsung on 46XX tech, taller batteries, called 46120, 4695, etc
Once again Elon is leading tech focus moves for the industry, just like Toyota selecting gigacasting

Upvote 0

Waiting on their 4680 gen 3 Chem tweaks in order for rhe CT to get to 500/600 mile trims

Interesting BMW is working with Samsung on 46XX tech, taller batteries, called 46120, 4695, etc
Once again Elon is leading tech focus moves for the industry, just like Toyota selecting gigacasting
10% energy gain vs current 4680? That still puts it behind the energy density of 2170.

But energy density aside, a 100 kWh pack is going to be 100 kWh no matter how energy dense the cells are. Model X with 100 kWh is rated at 348 mi EPA. I doubt the Cybertruck being a bigger and likely less aerodynamic vehicle will get better range than Model X.

Reactions: afadeev
Upvote 0
10% energy gain vs current 4680? That still puts it behind the energy density of 2170.

But energy density aside, a 100 kWh pack is going to be 100 kWh no matter how energy dense the cells are. Model X with 100 kWh is rated at 348 mi EPA. I doubt the Cybertruck being a bigger and likely less aerodynamic vehicle will get better range than Model X.
Someone else on Twitter pointed out that the 10% still puts it behind the 2170s, but as they said they expect to make more gains next year.

Upvote 0

even with a 10% gain you'd need absolutely massive and extremely heavy packs to achieve anywhere near 500-600 miles EPA with a heavy truck... ain't happening for years....

Reactions: afadeev and E90alex
Upvote 0