Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the single motor option provide enough power for the Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4wd tends better off-road or in heavy snow. It is so aggressive that, on smooth pavement and long distances it causes wear on the tires (not a problem offroad or in snow.
AWD aka Full-Time 4WD, has less aggressive traction so the tires never pull against each other so it works fine all the time under normal driving conditions. It is not as good in snow or off-road. It is fairly good in snow so its a good compromise for folk who only need the 4wd for snow since it's there when you need it.
Use the right tool for right job.
Which is the whole point,
Saying the CT won’t work in single motor/RWD is ridiculous because that’s how 90% of the trucks on the road are already happily operating.
is AWD better? Of course it is, but not one of the regular full size gas trucks has it.

Upvote 0
is AWD better? Of course it is, but not one of the regular full size gas trucks has it.
I didn't say that, nor do I agree. Sometimes AWD is, probably better, sometimes part-time 4WD is.
The Model Y is the only AWD vehicle I've ever owned and I got it recently and haven't driven it in tough snow yet. Having learned to drive in the snow in a RWD sedan, I'm still not sure how valuable it is to me. My mom, who has spent a lot more time driving in the snow in RWD vehicles than I have, chose her RWD Model S (great weight distribution and traction control) over her AWD Ford Escape to get to work in the snow and never had a problem. In snow, I generally worry more about stopping than going. AWD or 4WD don't help with stopping at all.
I've used part-time 4WD on multiple vehicles many times where I don't know of any AWD vehicles that could actually handle the situation, nor would I have felt comfortable trying (clearance is, perhaps a big contributor as well).

Upvote 0
I didn't say that, nor do I agree. Sometimes AWD is, probably better, sometimes part-time 4WD is.
The Model Y is the only AWD vehicle I've ever owned and I got it recently and haven't driven it in tough snow yet. Having learned to drive in the snow in a RWD sedan, I'm still not sure how valuable it is to me. My mom, who has spent a lot more time driving in the snow in RWD vehicles than I have, chose her RWD Model S (great weight distribution and traction control) over her AWD Ford Escape to get to work in the snow and never had a problem. In snow, I generally worry more about stopping than going. AWD or 4WD don't help with stopping at all.
I've used part-time 4WD on multiple vehicles many times where I don't know of any AWD vehicles that could actually handle the situation, nor would I have felt comfortable trying (clearance is, perhaps a big contributor as well).
completely understood - In the context of the question posed by the OP, will the single motor be enough, others have posted in this thread that having RWD will not work in a truck or that 4WD is required. - which is just not accurate.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
I think the bottom line is we don't know the answer to the OP question since we have no clue on the specs - which is ridiculous considering that 'production candidates' are running around now. To go along with the thread drift, personally, I'd like to good rear-biased AWD system as that would be my personal use case. The only off-roading I do is occasional trips to camps and hiking trailheads. That's what I did this weekend in NH and ME with my Model Y.

Reactions: TessP100D
Upvote 0