Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the single motor option provide enough power for the Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol. the earnings call yesterday went south after he started with robotaxis early on... his constant fake laughing and dimissing margin questions didn't help either.
I applaud Musk for being aspirational, disruptive, and revolutionary in some areas. But there's no way in heck anyone I know would trade owning a car for ASKING others to maybe please borrow their car, nor would they tolerate finishing their work shift and have their car smelling like farts and food stains from renting it out all day. I'm sure some people would be okay with that and that's great, but it won't be revolutionary. To me, my car is just as much my sanctuary as my home, and renting it out is tantamount to having a roommate in my home. No thank you.

Upvote 0
Guys, remember the 4680s are smaller and in the same space more KWs
Meaning more kw for the given space and plus 10% should get the CT base trim to approx 350 miles

Tremendous battery tech advances going on at Tesla, Samsung, BYD, CATL, LG, GM, etc
These bigger ranges won’t take a long time
Things are moving fast
4680s are larger than the 2170s...They are Tesla's largest battery, by far.

Which is why them having less energy density than the 2170s is bad. It's why they switched to 2170s in the Semi.

Here are the 3 NMC batteries Tesla uses:

1689866391992.png

Upvote 0
Sure, why not? The *slowest* RWD Tesla's made recently do 0-60 in about 6 seconds. Not fast by performance car standards but more than enough for day to day driving. On-ramps and getting up to highway speeds is still effortless.

Like others have said, they may not do a RWD model but if they do it might actually be the best cybertruck. RWD (usually) improves efficiency a bit and reduces weight. If you're road tripping that's almost certainly a benefit. It might even be nice when towing (every bit of range counts), although it may not be worth the acceleration and peak regen power reduction.

If you drive in snow or offroad AWD would be nice.
There's a lot of off-topic comments on this thread that just amplify the biases of the posters but really don't help the OP.
I'll chime in here along with a few others that the single motor CT will definitely provide sufficient power for most truck uses. I'll even add that even the 2WD will probably be fairly good in snow (about as good as most AWD ICD) if its traction control and balance are as good as other Tesla single motor vehicles although it won't be quite as invincible as the all wheel drive versions.
The only limitations are likely to be that the towing range will be short but that's more a function of the probably smaller battery than the single motor. You have to assume about 50% or so of the max range if towing.

Upvote 0
with Trucks need 4WD
I had a 2WD Toy Sequoia once and it was a disaster
You're thinking of the ICE pickup paradigm (and the runt of the litter - Toyota) with a heavy motor in the front and not much weight in the back, over the drive wheels. We have no idea what the weight distribution on the CT will be and that is what affects handling. In general, Teslas have fairly equal weight distribution front and back. That, coupled with great traction control, means they handle well in snow, even without 4WD. My experience is that Tesla 2WD is about the same as ICE 4WD while Tesla 4WD totally kills ICE 4WD.
It will be interesting to hear how the CT 2WD and 4WD handle when they become reality.

Upvote 0
Sports car/M3 rear wheel drive works, AWD nice upgrade
Trucks def want AWD/4WD
I had an original Florida Toy Sequoia 2WD in NY and it was a nightmare. Only thing that made it tolerable was rhe traction control. The truck was long and any tilt in the chassis with a wheel in the air, I actually got stuck. Hated it.

Upvote 0
Sports car/M3 rear wheel drive works, AWD nice upgrade
Trucks def want AWD/4WD
I had an original Florida Toy Sequoia 2WD in NY and it was a nightmare. Only thing that made it tolerable was rhe traction control. The truck was long and any tilt in the chassis with a wheel in the air, I actually got stuck. Hated it.
As you wrote it this is utter garbage and untrue. *If* you offroad in your truck then yes of course you want 4wd/awd. If you stay on roads, as probably 90% of the non-work trucks, then there is absolutely no need for 4wd/awd, even in terrible snow conditions. I learned to drive on a 2wd pickup in the worst winter driving conditions you just need to know how to drive.

Upvote 0