Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield durability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in Colorado we can a lot of sand/gravel on the road that over time pits the windshields pretty badly. 3 years is kind of a good lifetime (60k miles) before everything smears. Are Tesla windshields more durable and less prone to pitting than regular windshields? Any real world experience to share?

There is a film that protects the windshield against chips. A few different brands but clearplex is a popular one. The downside is that it still gets chips etc. It's in the film instead of the windshield which is a huge win. However, the downside is that from real world experience, the film should be replaced about every two years on a daily driven car. (depending on your environment etc) The film is best used on exotics with very expensive windshields and hard-to-acquire-windshields. I would look into your insurance policy about having a glass writer or having a low comp. deductible for glass replacement.

There is a film that protects the windshield against chips. A few different brands but clearplex is a popular one. The downside is that it still gets chips etc. It's in the film instead of the windshield which is a huge win. However, the downside is that from real world experience, the film should be replaced about every two years on a daily driven car. (depending on your environment etc) The film is best used on exotics with very expensive windshields and hard-to-acquire-windshields. I would look into your insurance policy about having a glass writer or having a low comp. deductible for glass replacement.

I have "full glass coverage" but I expect the big Tesla windshields and subsequent calibration are going to cost the insurance company a fortune.

Anybody have experience replacing Tesla windshields? How much does it cost?

I replaced an Audi sportback e-tron windshield -- a rock made a bullet-like divet. It was $550-$600 to replace, apparently because Audi windshields have special embedded sensors that adjust windshield wiper frequency. Is Tesla similar?

Here in Colorado we can a lot of sand/gravel on the road that over time pits the windshields pretty badly. 3 years is kind of a good lifetime (60k miles) before everything smears. Are Tesla windshields more durable and less prone to pitting than regular windshields? Any real world experience to share?

Drove my Model 3 48K miles in 15 months mostly SoCal freeway. Had multiple small pits to windshield mostly due to small rocks hurled by big rigs.

Until, the other day was my day - one of those small rocks came flying (I saw it coming, but can't dodge it without swerving to hit others) and hit the mid left edge of the windshield and cracked...

Got an appointment with Tesla to replace the glass. Don't have the estimate yet.
20200312_154524.jpg