Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you recommend Tesla Model 3 for a P plater?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm (28YO) getting my license and have to buy a car in advance so I can continue driving on my own immediately after passing the driving test. Would you recommend the Model 3 for a P-plater? Everyone keeps telling me to buy a dumpster on wheels as my first car... Even if I crash, wouldn't comprehensive insurance cover the repair?

Sorry if this was answered before, I really tried searching.

• Funny
Reactions: fholbert
If it's your first car and you've only just got your license - go for a second hand Tesla. You get all the fun, save $10-20k, and if it already has a few dings or scratches you won't feel bad about adding more.

There might be restrictions on P-platers driving certain cars - these are per state, someone from NSW could probably chime in.
Thank you, according to TransportNSW, M3 - Rear-Wheel 2022 and above seem to be allowed for P-platters.

Hi,

I'm (28YO) getting my license and have to buy a car in advance so I can continue driving on my own immediately after passing the driving test. Would you recommend the Model 3 for a P-plater? Everyone keeps telling me to buy a dumpster on wheels as my first car... Even if I crash, wouldn't comprehensive insurance cover the repair?

Sorry if this was answered before, I really tried searching.

Comprehensive insurance is for non-driving, non-crashing damage to the car, like damaged windshields, hail, or vandalism. Any crash requires some sort of collision coverage and the right kind depending on fault, depending on your state.

My first vehicle after passing my test at 33 was a new M3 RWD 3 years ago. You'll be fine. Insurance will be high, do you share the car with someone else?

On whether to buy new or second hand, bear in mind the Australian second hand market is still overflated and hasn't kept pace with the aggressive price cuts from Tesla.

My first vehicle after passing my test at 33 was a new M3 RWD 3 years ago. You'll be fine. Insurance will be high, do you share the car with someone else?

On whether to buy new or second hand, bear in mind the Australian second hand market is still overflated and hasn't kept pace with the aggressive price cuts from Tesla.
Thanks, not planning to share the car with anyone. Insurance will probably be around ~4-5k/y...
Was checking second hand and they don't seem to be much cheaper, some are even more expensive than the new one after the recent cuts. Did Tesla cut the price again few days/weeks ago? I could swear it was more expensive last time I checked.

Comprehensive insurance is for non-driving, non-crashing damage to the car, like damaged windshields, hail, or vandalism. Any crash requires some sort of collision coverage and the right kind depending on fault, depending on your state.
With apologies sir, it seems there's a difference in terminology between the USA and Australia it seems.

The original poster is in Australia, and comprehensive insurance here covers one's own vehicle, and other vehicles/property in the event of any collision/accident, whether at fault or not.

Interestingly, I didn't fully realise this until reading your post - never too late in the day to learn something new! :)

I think the OP is asking a sensible question with a couple of components. Should I buy a new car, or something older in case I damage it? And, should I buy a Model 3?

Inexperienced drivers are more likely to make small mistakes like hitting curbs, swinging the front of the car into an obstacle while reversing, etc. Making those mistakes helps teach you not to make those mistakes. They are also more likely to have failed to learn about simple maintenance - like keeping their tyres pumped up. It is generally cheaper to make those mistakes on smaller and older vehicles.

The Model 3 has a wide turning circle and less-than-spectacular turning circle. A new driver would probably do better with something smaller, more nimble and with better rear visibility.

As others have pointed out, insurance costs can be prohibitive for new drivers, and are generally cheaper for cheaper cars.

In the end, it will come down to how much you can afford and how much you really want an EV, and a new (or newish) car. You may need to embrace the idea that you will scuff your wheels on curbs and will very likely damage the car in other ways within the first couple of years. Don't assume that the Tesla will make you invincible, or that the driving aids will keep you safe, and be wary of your right foot getting you into trouble. Good luck with you choice.

Reactions: dronus
The Model 3 has a wide turning circle and less-than-spectacular turning circle.
While the turning circle is so bad that it is worth mentioning twice, I meant to say "The Model 3 has a wide turning circle and less-than-spectacular rearward vision."

The cameras do really help with reversing, but I would prefer that all drivers - and especially novices - be incentivised to maintain the habit of using their own eyes as part of reversing. I wish more modern cars gave a good direct view through the rear windows.

Vision, radar, whatever. If a sensor fails, so does the technology. 🤷🏽
Yeah no different to any other system whether it's a car, aircraft whatever. We all have a number of dependencies on a range of sensors before we start degrading systems.

Fortunately the cameras don't fail very often so it's unlikely to be an issue but if it's driver less then it's obviously going to have to handle that situation and pull over safely.

While the turning circle is so bad that it is worth mentioning twice, I meant to say "The Model 3 has a wide turning circle and less-than-spectacular rearward vision."

The cameras do really help with reversing, but I would prefer that all drivers - and especially novices - be incentivised to maintain the habit of using their own eyes as part of reversing. I wish more modern cars gave a good direct view through the rear windows.
Use the outside mirrors.

Reactions: Jules22
Have you ever driven a loaded van or ute?

People have become so dependent on these driver aids they have forgotten, or never actually learned, basic driving skills...
Actually, yeah. I did that for a living for a year. My Tesla is the first car I've owned with a reversing camera. If you read a little higher up in this thread, I was advocating for drivers maintaining the habit of using their own direct vision when reversing instead of being totally reliant on driving aids.

Using only side mirrors leaves enormous blind spots when reversing. Any vehicle that doesn't allow direct vision to the rear should have a reversing camera. However, that relies on the camera system working. If the vehicle is designed to prevent rear vision, then thought should be given to have redundancy in the system to prevent failures which would blind the driver when reversing.