Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally got my FSD trial - Major school zone issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I FINALLY got my free FSD trial on my 2022 Model X Plaid. I used it this morning extensively and it's working amazing EXCEPT school zones. It completely ignores the flashing light with the school zone speed limits. Happened twice, on the way to my daughter's school an on the way back. 2 different school zones on my way home and it would not slow down to the school zone speed limit. FSD did see the flashing light but didn't associate it with the speed limit below the flashing light.

Correct. It doesn't properly recognize such things. That's why it's not really Full Self Driving. You are responsible for monitoring it and adjusting as necessary. This is only one of many things that it doesn't handle properly.
I'm surprised that they have not covered school zones, at least not correctly. That is a major issue. If I'd go 45 mph (normal speed limit) in a 15 mph school zone, it could even lead to an arrest as it would be 30 mph over the limit. Of course, I'm monitoring it and slowed down but considering how long FSD has been around, I'm very surprised that school zones have not yet been covered correctly. Other than that, the system was impressive.. No driving mistakes.

I'm surprised that they have not covered school zones, at least not correctly. That is a major issue. If I'd go 45 mph (normal speed limit) in a 15 mph school zone, it could even lead to an arrest as it would be 30 mph over the limit. Of course, I'm monitoring it and slowed down but considering how long FSD has been around, I'm very surprised that school zones have not yet been covered correctly. Other than that, the system was impressive.. No driving mistakes.
One particular challenge with that specific scenario is that school zone signs vary from district to district. Sometimes they have flashing lights. Sometimes they have small text that specifies the hours that they are active, and sometimes that's not even clear to humans as it specifies something like "ON SCHOOL DAYS", which in my area, with some schools being year round, is hard to know what those days are if you don't have children attending that school. And how is the end of the school zone demarcated so the car knows when it's okay to speed back up?

1715867668288.png

(sure, there are AI engines that can probably interpret that, but that is certainly not part of the FSD engine!)

There are many other examples of cases that are not handled: truck speed limit signs, "END 30" (like in NY State where you are assumed to know that the state speed limit of 55 takes over), electronic signs that indicate variable speed limits (Pennsylvania uses these, as does Virginia, although the Virginia ones actually look realistic enough that sometimes the car catches it).

It seems like your expectations of what FSD can handle are possibly well above what it actually is. FSD is not what the YouTubers make it out to be unfortunately. You should be prepared to handle all situations that are even slightly out of the ordinary.

So, I FINALLY got my free FSD trial on my 2022 Model X Plaid. I used it this morning extensively and it's working amazing EXCEPT school zones. It completely ignores the flashing light with the school zone speed limits. Happened twice, on the way to my daughter's school an on the way back. 2 different school zones on my way home and it would not slow down to the school zone speed limit. FSD did see the flashing light but didn't associate it with the speed limit below the flashing light.
Where are the speed limit signs located? Are they overhead or on the side of the road?

I ask for it works as expected for me on my 2022 M3LR with blinking lights on the side of the road

FSD is now designed to "learn" these difficult situations, and figure out a solution. This is why they call it FSD (Supervised). Driver is supposed to be aware of how FSD is doing in these situations, and take over when necessary. I would be uncomfortable letting FSD take full control in a situation where little kids are all over the place, and acting in erratic and irrational manner.

I'm curious if you have the automatic speed option turned on. I find when I have that turned on, and no other cars around me, that FSD will go incredibly fast for some conditions. I live in a residential area with 4 lane divided with median (2 lanes each side). The speed limit is actually clearly marked as 30 mph, which FSD recognizes by the limit sign shown on the dash, yet will want to go 40-45 mph when there is noone around me for it to pace.

It's much better behaved when I turn the automatic speed option off, but with it on, it tends at times like a teenager our for a joyride.

Be wary of "no turn on red" intersections too.

Reactions: FloridaSun
This matter has been covered extensively in the regular V12 thread.
Well known limitation just like lack of support for school busses, emergency vehicles, hand gestures, pot holes and backing up. I have seen some support for school zones with the type of school zone signs where I live but we'll just have to wait for v12.4 and v12.5 before real improvement for these missing items happen everywhere.

At least by not getting FSD until V12 you missed the huge laundry list of FSD limitations over the past few years. Count yourself lucky :)

Last edited:
Wait until you come across a school bus with its lights flashing....

I will find out soon. I'm sure that if the school bus is in my lane, it will work just fine but I'm wondering how it will handle a stopped school bus in the opposite lane..
Yesterday while in FSD I encountered a school bus, stopped in the opposite lane with red lights flashing and a couple of cars stopped for it in front of me. My car tried to pass the stopped cars and go head on into the school bus. I yanked it back in time but if anyone saw me they would've thought I was the biggest jerk.

I came across several school zones this morning, it won't slow down in 12.3.6. However, in 12.3.1/2 it always slow down at one particular location regardless of hours, now even at that particular location, it just keep on going without slowing down, we are not there yet.

FSD is now designed to "learn" these difficult situations, and figure out a solution. This is why they call it FSD (Supervised). Driver is supposed to be aware of how FSD is doing in these situations, and take over when necessary. I would be uncomfortable letting FSD take full control in a situation where little kids are all over the place, and acting in erratic and irrational manner.
I don’t believe this is true. There is no learning that takes place in the car. Tesla may grab disengagements and blend those into the data set to train the next version.

Reactions: RTPEV
Tesla is going to have to do more than just respond to a school sign for Robotaxi. In my case, my neighborhood road comes out to the main road in the middle of a school zone so you have to know it’s a school zone based on map and time of day. If you mess up like my neighbor did you will get a photo enforced ticket in the mail.

Reactions: RTPEV