Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home-charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
What do you think about home-charging?
1. What is the best current acording to lifetime/degradation of the battery?
12, 16, 20, 24 or 32 ampere. (2,5-7,4 kW)
2. What influence have the temperature in tje battery to the result? Can low ampere (under 32 degrees) give extra degradation to the battery like SC when charging under 40 battery-degrees.

I am assuming you have an LFP battery.

1. 32-amps would be the most efficient because you finish charging faster and minimize the fixed overhead power draw of the car. Level 2 charging amps effect on battery degradation is negligible.
2. LFP batteries should not be charged below 32F = 0C. This can cause permanent damage. The car should automatically handle that by using all power to warm up the battery first before charging. Nickel-based batteries are more tolerant of freezing temperatures, but will still have slower charging rates in cold temperature.

I am assuming you have an LFP battery.

1. 32-amps would be the most efficient because you finish charging faster and minimize the fixed overhead power draw of the car. Level 2 charging amps effect on battery degradation is negligible.
2. LFP batteries should not be charged below 32F = 0C. This can cause permanent damage. The car should automatically handle that by using all power to warm up the battery first before charging. Nickel-based batteries are more tolerant of freezing temperatures, but will still have slower charging rates in cold temperature.
It is NCA battery…..

Hi!
What do you think about home-charging?
1. What is the best current acording to lifetime/degradation of the battery?
12, 16, 20, 24 or 32 ampere. (2,5-7,4 kW)
2. What influence have the temperature in tje battery to the result? Can low ampere (under 32 degrees) give extra degradation to the battery like SC when charging under 40 battery-degrees.
Charge as fast as you can easily afford. There are times when you may need to back down the charging rates due to cost. Even the slowest 120V 15A plug will give you 60 miles in 12 hours. I've had two cars alternating access to a single 120V plug for 3 years, life was good.

It appears that you are in Norway, cold temperature charging does add a few wrinkles.
Are you parking inside or outside? If outside, the 120V may not be enough to overcome the cold temperatures. When the battery gets really cold ~0C the car will start to heat the battery.
Also, if outside and even inside, you may want to look at setting scheduled departure if you have a regular schedule. That will bring both the cabin and battery up to temperature in the winter months before you depart, saving from having to drain the battery to do it.

With the Wall Connector, I believe that you can go a little higher. But if you are in Norway, I believe that you may have 3-phase power available and the current numbers that you list sound like US numbers.

Reactions: Gigga