Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manually avoid potholes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: a mean smack dab in the middle obvious pothole on autopilot was $1000 in tires for my Tesla model 3 performance. Anyone else experience fun like this?
There's not much to say. The car will drive right over potholes, and it will destroy tires, especially on the larger wheels. You're responsible for spotting them, and steering around them. Perhaps someday they'll train the car to avoid them, but it may be a tough problem with the current hardware. I'd certainly love such a thing. So far my 19 inch wheels have survived, but I'd rather not test their limits.

I hope this is a case of your seeing the pothole coming, but assuming that the car would avoid it. If true, it's an expensive lesson that I'm sure you won't repeat. On the other hand, if you were letting the car off the leash, allowing it to drive without supervision, then this is a reminder that it can only handle the essential driving tasks. Unmonitored, it could do something even worse than destroying a set of tires.

TLDR: a mean smack dab in the middle obvious pothole on autopilot was $1000 in tires for my Tesla model 3 performance. Anyone else experience fun like this?
That is most unfortunate. The low profile tire/rim combo comes with that challenge. Sadly, I don’t think AP, EAP or FSD, can really handle that sort of thing.

Reactions: father_of_6
The Legacy Autopilot code hasn't seen updates in years; instead, efforts are directed towards enhancing the FSD code. Eventually, a scaled-down version of the FSD code will supersede Legacy Autopilot. However, the current FSD doesn't include pothole avoidance capabilities either. For Model S/X owners, it may adjust the suspension before encountering a pothole. Though, it's a feature under development amidst various other priorities needing attention.

Downsizing to 19" or 18" wheels will give more sidewall to allow tires to absorb potholes with less chance of damage, but there's no guarantees. Even a 15" tire on a 1976 Monte Carlo could get taken out by a pothole under the wrong circumstances.

Check with your state or municipality, they may have some sort of contact for this type of thing (PA has 1-800-FIX-ROAD). Doubtful you'd get any money back but if there's a tire-eating crater out there it might prioritized for a fix before it gets you again.

This is why I don't use FSDb/S or Autosteer for the majority of my driving on city streets even once the snow and ice is gone. Our neighbourhood is full of potholes and one never can be sure which one will be a wheel damaging one. I need the ability to shift from one side or other in the lane. Sorry elon, but I do know better than the car.

My favourite pothole is starting to form again, it is on the far side of a speed bump so you can't even see it before you hit it. Each year the city eventually fill it, the following spring it comes back. It is on a narrow street and locals just alternate the right of way since the only way to avoid it is to drive on the left side of the street. One year, someone stole a construction pilon from nearby and put it in the pothole so that people on the blind side would know to avoid it.

Reactions: navguy12
That’s the KEY reason I stuck with M3LR and 18” wheels.
IMG_0080.jpeg

Reactions: GalacticHero