Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like how people just say this without having ANY idea of the new car's top end.

Perhaps a 100+ roll it will. But at any sensible speed it wont. Probably, we don't know yet, but it's an educated guess.
At the very most the battery is putting out 462 KW(~620 HP). We know that from the “Max Discharge Value”. It is the same battery. That max discharge value hasn’t changed.

A Hellcat is 700+ HP. The Hellcat can shift gears and stay at or near that 700+ maximum HP the whole time. With a single speed transmission and only a rear permanent magnet motor the Model 3 has to lose power as speed increases.

High speed acceleration is just a measure of how much power you can sustain. If the Hellcat has traction I guarantee it will have more power. It also weighs more but not that much more. Wind resistance probably matters more than the weight difference does at those high speeds. However, the high speed power difference will overcome both of those things for the Hellcat when it has traction.

Reactions: MarkoP
At the very most the battery is putting out 462 KW(~620 HP). We know that from the “Max Discharge Value”. It is the same battery. That max discharge value hasn’t changed.

A Hellcat is 700+ HP. The Hellcat can shift gears and stay at or near that 700+ maximum HP the whole time. With a single speed transmission and only a rear permanent magnet motor the Model 3 has to lose power as speed increases.

High speed acceleration is just a measure of how much power you can sustain. If the Hellcat has traction I guarantee it will have more power. It also weighs more but not that much more. Wind resistance probably matters more than the weight difference does at those high speeds. However, the high speed power difference will overcome both of those things for the Hellcat when it has traction.
The hellcat also has the aero of a brick and amazingly weighs a lot more than a m3p. Theres no doubt at the very top top top end it would be faster, but back in reality land where it matters, i don't think so.

I like how people just say this without having ANY idea of the new car's top end.

Perhaps a 100+ roll it will. But at any sensible speed it wont. Probably, we don't know yet, but it's an educated guess.
Same as the old car's top end, just bumped up a bit. Nothing about the drivetrain has fundamentally changed, just a slightly "better" rear motor of the same design. A Hellcat will absolutely destroy an M3P from any 60+ roll.

The hellcat also has the aero of a brick and amazingly weighs a lot more than a m3p. Theres no doubt at the very top top top end it would be faster, but back in reality land where it matters, i don't think so.
We shall definitely find out. However, it is probably harder to find a stock Hellcat than to find a modified one. Once modified there is no doubt it will be quicker and faster as long as it has traction.

We shall definitely find out. However, it is probably harder to find a stock Hellcat than to find a modified one. Once modified there is no doubt it will be quicker and faster as long as it has traction.
Oh there are plenty of completely stock hellcats around Southern California. Or at least there were back when I was daily-ing a C6 Z06. I could always count on them to have their hoods open at cars and coffee as if they worked for car dealerships trying to sell stock hotrods, and to want my attention as soon as they noticed a C6Z nearby.

We’ll see all kinds of video as soon as these cars start showing up in people’s driveways. I predict embarrassment going both ways for a while before the general public accepts that the new M3P is faster but still not where the vocal minority wish it was.

Well, at least you guys aren't talking about Hyundai and Porsche anymore. Still comparing to cars >$15k in MSRP for some strange reason.

Seriously, it would be sportsmanlike to always let the Hellcat win. After all, they have to drive a Chrysler product every day.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki

The previous comments were "The irony of my comment was that you don’t need to worry about any Dodge Charger ever in any model year M3P. But they’re the ones that always seem to want to race 😂"

The new car is irrelevant right now, no one has one. But "any model year M3P", yeah no.

Any of the boosted muscle cars, especially a boosted mustang, will absolutely do long straight pulls harder than our little Econocar-that-could.

The previous comments were "The irony of my comment was that you don’t need to worry about any Dodge Charger ever in any model year M3P. But they’re the ones that always seem to want to race 😂"

The new car is irrelevant right now, no one has one. But "any model year M3P", yeah no.

Any of the boosted muscle cars, especially a boosted mustang, will absolutely do long straight pulls harder than our little Econocar-that-could.
This is true, unfortunately, but it’s the exact same issue they ran across with my C6Z. You have to be at the racetrack or out on the highway in Mexico to find that out.

On the street they’ve got nothing for you, and ultimately that’s what makes it fun for people on either side. Including those who just love to argue about it. 🙃

This is true, unfortunately, but it’s the exact same issue they ran across with my C6Z. You have to be at the racetrack or out on the highway in Mexico to find that out.

On the street they’ve got nothing for you, and ultimately that’s what makes it fun for people on either side. Including those who just love to argue about it. 🙃
Yeah, for sure. The real "fast" cars are all playing with high speed non-sense on the street. Areas I have zero interest in, but gotta make sure we don't get ignorant about it.

Pure straight line is lame anyways, its why many have gone Plaid back to TM3p

For my next trick, I’ll attempt another complete thread derail:

I want a performance oriented lightweight. M3 size with MS hatch and beauty. (Clearly the S is gorgeous, just large)
Give it a single Plaid motor in the rear and bearings in place of bushings in the suspension, along with the new car’s adaptive suspension and V3 track mode. 0-60 and top speed are BOTH irrelevant to me. The feel/experience are everything, and lighter weight, RWD and more feeling everywhere in the chassis is the ticket. If it can really handle this car would sell. At least I think so.

After all, they have to drive a Chrysler product every day.
I mean, Tesla is even worse quality overall than Chrysler

I want a performance oriented lightweight. M3 size with MS hatch and beauty. (Clearly the S is gorgeous, just large)
Give it a single Plaid motor in the rear and bearings in place of bushings in the suspension, along with the new car’s adaptive suspension and V3 track mode. 0-60 and top speed are BOTH irrelevant to me. The feel/experience are everything, and lighter weight, RWD and more feeling everywhere in the chassis is the ticket. If it can really handle this car would sell. At least I think so.

I think Tesla's reputation is too far established as bottom dollar / mass market for that to be a big seller. You'd have to entice BMW M3 and low-end Porsche buyers with such a car, and I don't think Tesla has the chops to compete with those guys.

I enjoy the Plaid for what it is (basically owning a personal roller coaster). But my M3 (BMW) is certainly more satisfying through the corners. Model 3 never came close.

Last edited:

I think you glazed over how my comment originated in this thread and the context behind it. We weren’t talking about any boosted muscle cars or tracking them. A large majority of people in this thread will never track their M3P. This was about people gaslighting their buddies and worrying about the 0-60 times as if they will do anything other then “race a dodge charger” off the line at a stop light or something. It was purposely sarcastic and tongue in cheek, not an actual statement on boosted muscle cars that very, very few people have.

I'm down for a hot hatch with 600+ horsepower, AWD, and all the goodies to make it an absolute gut-punch weapon in the straights and the turns. Something like a WRC car, but with massive grip.

Reactions: Adam3 and Sellout

This is why I take most reviews of the M3P with a grain of salt. It's quick no doubt, but that's obviously relative and I don't think the average person has been in a high hp car. That's also why the Cammisa review was so intriguing to me.

This is why I take most reviews of the M3P with a grain of salt. It's quick no doubt, but that's obviously relative and I don't think the average person has been in a high hp car. That's also why the Cammisa review was so intriguing to me.
It takes a lot to impress Cammisa and that goes double for EVs. His video was all I needed to hear.

I'm down for a hot hatch with 600+ horsepower, AWD, and all the goodies to make it an absolute gut-punch weapon in the straights and the turns. Something like a WRC car, but with massive grip.
It's in the works. Full production estimated at around year 2026/2027. A tri-motor Rivian R3X. Early engineering mules have already been spotted driving around in Laguna Beach.

• Love
Reactions: Sellout and Adam3