Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just switched from the 19s to the 21s. Don’t recall feeling the vibration with the 19s. 21s do feel more unsettled at hard acceleration.
Maybe another date set should be wheel size.

21s
they look good though 🤣

Has anyone’s SC found and implemented a fix for his issue?
From what I read, it is temporary - replacing the CV joints and semi-axels. They did something in 2019 that minimized the chances of happening (I would assume stronger alloys) but did not completely eliminated it.
It is a design issue. The car was conceived as RWD and later the front motor was added. To avoid major re-design of the front, they put the motor on top of the existing components which caused the permanent angle of the semi-axels. That would have probably been OK for a regular car but this one has enormous torque. Frequent hard acceleration (especially when cornering) at lower speed (when the suspension is higher - X are more susceptible) exacerbate the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
exactly, but people keep attributing it to previous issues. What shoe you wear can make the difference between feeling it or not? Do I have that correct?
@lbowroom I have no idea about shoe sizes and all that horseshite. My passengers even feel the vibration in the floor and console, when their arm is against it. I’m certainly not going to suggest they wear different shoes and not to lean on the console…. 🤣
SC confirmed vibration and started with half shaft/CV joint replacement (both sides), 4-wheel alignment, and rebalancing all four tires. That all happened today and didn’t seem to resolve the vibration, as they said the car was not ready as it was expected it would be - by 4:45pm. They test drove it at 3pm (I can see the car rolling on the app, and I data log via self hosted TeslaMate). It when right back into the shop and has been in there, post repair test drive, for the last 2-3 hours. Not sure what the plan is next. New inverter? Drive Unit? It’s anyone’s guess at this point. Still think it’s more electrical, than mechanical - even emphasized that in my notes and when discussing with the tech during test drive.

@WilliamG @Rbats

@lbowroom I have no idea about shoe sizes and all that horseshite. My passengers even feel the vibration in the floor and console, when their arm is against it. I’m certainly not going to suggest they wear different shoes and not to lean on the console…. 🤣
SC confirmed vibration and started with half shaft/CV joint replacement (both sides), 4-wheel alignment, and rebalancing all four tires. That all happened today and didn’t seem to resolve the vibration, as they said the car was not ready as it was expected it would be - by 4:45pm. They test drove it at 3pm (I can see the car rolling on the app, and I data log via self hosted TeslaMate). It when right back into the shop and has been in there, post repair test drive, for the last 2-3 hours. Not sure what the plan is next. New inverter? Drive Unit? It’s anyone’s guess at this point. Still think it’s more electrical, than mechanical - even emphasized that in my notes and when discussing with the tech during test drive.

@WilliamG @Rbats
Ohhh man that sucks!!!

@WilliamG @Rbats
It is possible you don’t have perfect round tires. It’s rare but could be the problem.

@WilliamG @Rbats
I wonder if Tesla will do road force balancing.